No weight loss in 3 weeks

Options
I have been doing very good on logging my food and accounting for every calorie. I do aerobic exercise M-F for 30 minutes and I go to the gym 3 days a week for elliptical and strength training. I usually try not to eat my exercise calories. I weigh-in once a week and the scale hasn't moved in 3 weeks. I have an IUD so I have no clue when my period will come (if it does). I don't understand it. Everyone says that weight loss is just science and if you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose, but I'm not seeing it. I lost like 18 pounds in the beginning, but now, nothing. It's very discouraging.

My diet has changed dramatically from where I started. I really expected the weight loss to be consistant at 1 pound a week, but it doesn't appear to be happening. It's like my body is clinging to the fat like a life-line.

Replies

• c_hamm80
    c_hamm80 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am not a Dr and won't pretend to be one but what I will do is tell you don't give up and don't become discouraged.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I would recommend changing things up - switch something about your workout - and I'd also suggest trying to eat your exercise calories back. If you're not consuming enough, you may put weight loss on hold. Are you watching sodium intake?
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Try something different in your diet. Calories do not tell the who story. Empty calories will not promote you towards your goal. Also, try removing starches from your daily diet for a week. See what effect that has.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to change your routine since you stopped losing? Our bodies very quickly get used to what we are doing and adjust accordingly - try eating back your exercise calories for a week to see if it helps, try starting a new work out regime, try eating different foods or breaking up your meal times/sizes differently etc
  • bella51708
    bella51708 Posts: 47
    Options
    My calories come from mostly healthy foods. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, yogurt, tuna, sugar free jello, tomatoes, and carrots. I seldom eat sweets or junk food. My calories usually range between 1800 and 2200. By MFP calorie goal is 2160 without exercise. With exercise, it's usually 2400-2500.

Even if you body adapts to the exercise, wouldn't it eventually continue to lose weight? If you continue eating healthy and under your calorie target, the weight should still come off.

I have drastically reduced my intake of white bread, potatoes, and junk food (like chips, popcorn, and ice cream). I do watch my sodium to a point, but I drink a lot of water, so it shouldn't affect me too much. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, I was just looking for any similar experiences.

I'm currently doing my 3 month doctor supervised diet in preparation for WLS. They wanted me to lose a total of 34 pounds before surgery. I'm halfway there, but it just seems like I can't lose anymore. I will continue to use MFP after surgery to help ensure healthy weight loss. I can't wait.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I personally would drop your calories. 2200 is an awful lot.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we might be able to give specific advice?
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ok, let's boil things down.

You have drastically changed your diet, you are NOT eating your exercise calories back, you are banging away at the gym, and you are not losing the weight you want.

I'd first suggest taking measurements (neck, bust, chest, tummy, waist, thighs, calves); chances are you are losing inches.

Now for the bad news - you signed up for a weight loss of (0.5, 1.0, 1.5 or 2 lbs) per week. Your nutritional calculations are based on this calorie deficit. 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so it's math based on your BMR. You are burning MORE than that. So, what are you burning? Well, connective tissue is amonst the first things to go, along with muscles. You NEED calories, and they are going to come from somewhere. You don't want to lose connective tissue - no one like floppy skin around their mid-section. That's what happens when you have subcutaneous fat, and a lack of connective tissue. Pinch loose skin on the back of your hand - that's what lose skin looks like. You've seen the flabby tummy - you don't want that.

There is a really good reason you are told, to eat back some, if not most of your exercise calories. You don't want to go into Starvation Mode. You want to force your body to burn fat, not connective tissue or muscle (both are excellent sources of protein). So, exercise combined with diet.

Shake things up - eat a chunk of your exercise calories back - eat more, lose more. It's an oft repeated phrase. Don't give up. Be patient.

But, most importantly - TAKE PICTURES!!! If you did, look back and you should see a remarkable departure from where you were just 3 weeks ago. If not, take some today. Don't suck it in; my icon is where I started; I look at it every day I log in; it reminds me of where I started, it motivates me every time I see it.

Don't give up. You are in charge, we didn't get 'big' over-night; it's unreasonable to think we'll get 'thin' over-night either. We are working on a lifestyle change - and the change takes time. That's why people who lose weight slowly, are more likely to keep it off. Change takes times. People who take short-cuts do not statistically have as good a chance of keeping the weight off over the long run.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I hae lost a steady 4 lbs per month since the end of Jan. The week immediately following TOM I lose 4-5 lbs. Then the next 3 weeks I hold steady, even gaining a lb or two. Don't know why that happens; I don't change a thing up week to week; it's just the way my hormones and my body works. However, the weight IS coming off and my measurements have definitely changed for the better. This isn't an exact science - no one is the same and you just need to figure out what works for you!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request along with PM about BMR, etc. (My thoughts are that the calorie goal should be around 1700, not 2200.)

Thought I would also add - if you have lost 18 pounds - and MFP hasn't prompted you yet - you may want to re-set the goal portion.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I agree with changing things, not just in workout, but if you eat the same things daily. Your body can get use to the same routine when it comes to exercise and eating.
  • Crystal529
    Options
    If you truly are working out that much, you need to be eating your exercise calories. Need to. your body is like a car, it needs fuel to run just like a car needs gas. I can guarentee you take a week and eat those exercise calories and you will start to lose again. Trust me.