Going WAY over on vacation

Options
My DH and I are visiting family for 11 days and every day so far I have been going way over. Plus the way they cook is with lots of bad fats and stuff. Any tips for eating healthier on this vacation? Don't want to offend anyone but don't want to lose all progress either!

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Fill up on fruit and veg and then eat REALLY small portions of what they cook? Sneak out for lots of walks, too!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    What about offering to cook a meal for everyone? Then you can show them some of the healthy changes you have been making.

You are on vacation, so you will go over most likely. Drink plenty of water and get some exercise-even if it is just around the block.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun. They won't be there forever.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I just try to get a lot of exercise on vacation and watch portion size. If I am having trouble sticking to my calorie goal, I'll switch to maintenance mode - I might not lose weight on vacation but all I really care about is not gaining anything.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation. I wasn't able to log on to here nearly as often & also didn't have the benefit of home (kitchen) advantage. Just do your best...i made sure to get a decent amount of exercise by walking or using the tools i brought with me (kettlebell), and while i did eat/drink more/worse than normal, i made sure to say no sometimes (i.e. sure, i'll have pie, but not a 2nd or 3rd piece, and no ice cream with that, thanks!). You could eat smaller portions if you're worried about the quality/calorie level of the food.

I put a few pounds back on but they'll be gone by the end of this week, likely, now that things are back to normal.

It's definitely harder to stay focused & in control when you're away from your home turf. The long & short of it is that 11 days won't destroy all progress & you can get right back at it when you get home.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My DH and I are visiting family for 11 days and every day so far I have been going way over. Plus the way they cook is with lots of bad fats and stuff. Any tips for eating healthier on this vacation? Don't want to offend anyone but don't want to lose all progress either!

i started mfp because i wanted to get in shape for vacation, i did a great job and than i took some steps back during my time off. its real tough.

i would try this ... be as strategic as possible with your breakfast and lunch. maybe even map out what you are going to eat, hell plan for it. cross your fingers for dinner and try only eathign half of what you were served or a lot less. not sure how easy that will be. I think the key is A PLAN. have a plan and stick to it. don't do the "I'll just worry about when i'm there." think about it now.

i'm having a hard time not eating correclty on the weekends for social gatherings ... vacations are 10 times harder than that.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Eat much smaller portions. Graze rather than dig in. Make sure you are getting plenty of water! Try to get in some exercise, go for walks, etc. But also enjoy your time with family and relax, this is vacation!!! If you gain a few pounds they will come back off with hard work soon after.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did get in a walk today and tons of water. And I will just plan on being really good when I get home.