How Can Fruit be "Free" on Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    WW has worked for my friends...but only when they exercised enough. One of my friends on WW has picked up running and runs 4 times a week, cross trains 2, and has been the most successful she has ever been on the program. So I think the way they run it does work as long as you put in the work overall.
  • Petunia32
    Petunia32 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've done WW before and I would plug my calories in to somewhere like this and 29pts including free fruit and veg did work out to be about 1200 calories most days, so they do factor it in somehow. I lost pretty well on it, it's just the cost of the membership that puts me off these days.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you get a minimum of 29 points each day and a total of 49 weekly points so you can eat more than your daily points allowance. And apparently 1 point is equivalent to about 40 calories so if you do 29x40 it equals roughly 1160 calories , so if that's right then obviously 1160 calories a day isn't enough so eating fruit/veg would take you over that and give you a suitable amount of calories a day. I'm guessing that's how it works anyway?
  • DuffWomam
    DuffWomam Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, it's true, it is free. and yes, i was too skeptical as fruit has so much sugars. But, what people are doing wrong is that the think that since fruit is worth 0pp then they'll eat too much fruit in place other foods and this being bad as you're not getting all the other nutrients required for a balanced diet. IMPORTANT: Yes, fruit is free but only, ONLY eat when you're truly hungry (which shouldn't be too often if you're making smart meal choices) for a healthy snack. What people are doing wrong is taking the 0pp on fruit to their advantage and eating too much when they want & when they're not even hungry. Keep that in mind :) yes, fruit is marvelous and a real treat from mother nature but watch how much you take in and when :) best of luck - I hope I helped someone :) (& made some sense! ;)
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    They will change it when it fails.

No they won't - it is making them money.
    People won't leave until they have seen significant results.
    If they aren't losing weight fast, but still losing something, they'll continue to pay to go to the weekly meetings and buy all the pointless merchandise.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Have you ever met someone who got fat eating too much fruit?
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    IMO its just another marketing ploy to get people to buy more program materials.... Sorry so negative, but really why in the world would you count points instead of calories? It's actually more confusing. It's a formula based on calories, fat and fiber. By making it complicated people need to purchase materials (or pay for web access) so they will be able to follow what is supposed to be a super simple plan. And, why would WW license food manufacturers to say how many points WW gives each of its foods. Believe me, those manufaturers pay for the right to say WW Point total 3. It's big time marketing. I don't even have a degree in marketing. It's just that obvious.

this
  • shewhowrestleswolves
    Options

I have
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the free points either. If it is already calculated into your points and you are not eating that many fruits and veggies it would seem to me that those people are under their calorie goals consistently.

I have never done Weight Watchers. I was wondering if on WW if they tell you what your target calorie goal would be or is every thing based on the point system alone? I struggle with my calorie goal and wonder if MFP is accurate. I was wondering if I joined WW if it would give me a different perspective on what my calorie intake should be.
  • ZombieSidwell
    Options
    I think it is all about moderation and teaching to eat healthy. I think that you have to find what works for you whether it be counting points or calories. I have been following weight watchers and it works for me. I have lost 57 pounds so far. Other people find more success in counting calories. I think it really comes down to learning how to eat healthy and making better choices either way.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I don't understand how Weight Watchers works at all...I know a lady that has been on it.. and she uses Sensa and I haven't seen results.. =/ Same lady also told me that I wouldn't lose weight having sugar, and that she couldn't even have fruit because it had sugar in it. I'd much rather use MFP for free and eat what I choose! =)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options

I have

You can have too much of a good thing.. =/
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't agree with their point system. I had a co-worker trying to get me to join WW at the wellness thing we had at work, but I couldn't do it. She pays $38/mo and has lost only 3lbs since February. I spent $0 and lost 20lbs. I kept telling her the amount of sugar she consumes on WW is holding her back but she refused to listen.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Because fruit is INCREDIBLY good for you. Don't EVER limit your fruit intake!!!!!! Even if your calorie number goes up. I think WW did it to encourage you to eat fruit. People who eat as much fruit as they want are less likely to binge on crap foods, and more likely to have a sustainable long term weight loss.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss should not cost anyone anything. WW, Nutrisystem, etc., are all not a lifestyle habit. I understand each person is different but with the web, library, and tons of information at our fingertips, each individual CAN lose weight without paying to be a member of anything.

I have friends who did WW, nutrisystem, gastric bypass, the band, etc. and none of them have kept their weight off or had the success they hoped for.
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the same sentiments as you. I was on WW before they changed their plan to free fruit points, and I was losing weight. After they changed the plan, I completely stopped losing weight. Myfitnesspal has helped me lose weight again.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Beats me - I just ate a 110 calorie banana - gotta count it!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    After 6 successful weeks on MFP (21 pounds), I cannot grasp how WW can treat fruit as point-free. On an average day, I'll eat 200-300 calories in fruit, and I count every one of those calories. I can't imagine that this is built into your points total, because there are surely many WW members who don't eat any fruit at all -- and get the same number of points. When they switched to this new version of the plan, the leaders made it a point to reassure everybody that "yes, even bananas are free".... If WW is just another, albeit patented, method of counting calories, this just doesn't compute.
    This is why i am here, I did ww from january and ate what i liked within the points and didnt lose, was only when i started cutting the crap I lost, then it stopped as I ate alot fo fruit. and when i added up the cals per day, i was eating around 1700 inlcuding the fruit.Now I can eat loads of fruit if i want too, i love it but ive cut it down hugely now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    After 6 successful weeks on MFP (21 pounds), I cannot grasp how WW can treat fruit as point-free. On an average day, I'll eat 200-300 calories in fruit, and I count every one of those calories. I can't imagine that this is built into your points total, because there are surely many WW members who don't eat any fruit at all -- and get the same number of points. When they switched to this new version of the plan, the leaders made it a point to reassure everybody that "yes, even bananas are free".... If WW is just another, albeit patented, method of counting calories, this just doesn't compute.

WW builds 250 "free" calories into its formula to account for fruits and vegetables. However, a lot of people are finding that isn't really enough for fruit. It was a mistake and I hope they change it.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options

YES!
    Saw it in the mirror. As soon as I went to one serving of fruit a day I started losing weight again went back to more fruit and gained.

At first this program will work for people. It will work because they will go from eating a 280 cal candy bar to a low calorie fruit. But as soon as they get closer to the goal weight they will need to adjust. They will also need to learn what fruits are best for weight loss as some are higher on the Glycemic Index than others.