Starting Couch 2 5k Tomorrow... anyone else tried this that'

Options
Fairwyn
Fairwyn Posts: 14 Member
I've got about 90lbs to lose still but I feel like I'm not getting enough from my current exercise program even though I've lost almost 20lbs so far. I'm always craving a bit more exercise and I have so much more energy now that I want to use it. I live in Arkansas though and it's extremely hot right now, so I'm going to start trying to jog in the early morning by starting the couch 2 5k program. Anyone had any success with this?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people doing C25K here, so I'm sure you'll get quite a few responses. I started on it, myself, back in April, but decided on a modified plan that involves continuing to run intervals of 3 minutes running and one minute walking. I go 5K at least twice a week and a little less on other days because it's hot as heck here in AZ, too, and I have a hard time getting up at 5am to run when it's still under 80°.

My best advice is to stick to it. The first week is really hard, at least if you haven't run before or in a really long time. I ended up going only 30 seconds running the first week. I called it "Week 0". :laugh:

If you have a Smart Phone, there are some good interval apps out there. You might want to find an armband to fit your phone or you'll have to carry it in your hand while you run. I did it for awhile and it's possible but not the safest for your phone.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    It's a great program. I started it this past spring, and by early June I was able to run my first 5K! I hadn't run in years, so I was happy it starts off slowly. I'd say give it a try and see if it's something that you like.

Good luck and happy running!

:happy:
  • duke520
    duke520 Posts: 30
    Options
    I started it today. Just trying C25K out to build up endurance. You gotta run hard and give it your all for the 60 seconds your running! Anyone can do anything for a minute. Plus the 90 second walk is enough time to recover to get ready for your next 60 second sprint. Good luck & stick with it! Do work!
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I started it back in May/June, and yesterday I ran my first 5k :) It's an excellent program, and if you stick to it you'll really be amazed what you can do. Just make sure you get in your three days a week. There were sometimes when I'd finish a workout and be like "Oh man, I need to repeat that day." And then when the time came to run, I'd be like "well, let's just try the next day and see how I do" and I ended up doing much better than I expected!

I'd also recommend getting fitted for running shoes. Even though you'll be starting off slow, it's best to prevent injuries early. And getting fitted is the best way to get good shoes. You may be surprised as to what they tell you/what kind of shoe you need. I did this, got fitted for MIzunos, and they're perfect for me.

And I'd definitely recommend the app as well like sfoust suggested. It helps you concentrate on other things other than the time.. so you can kind of forget about it for a while.. and then when the walk comes, it seems like you haven't been going for that long :)
  • Fairwyn
    Fairwyn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I've got an iPhone 4 with the app downloaded already... I'll have to run with my phone in my hand tomorrow morning, but my armband should be coming in that afternoon. Trying to get all prepared =)
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    DId my first tonight- it was rough- i think i will take the cue from about and call this week zero as well;) but i did make it thru to the end despite my internal dialogue 2/3 of the way thru. I think I skipped one of the running intervals and ended early on 2 or 3 of the others- so will work my way up to week 1 day 1. Still a success in my book, as i did push to complete it. :) good luck all who are doing this!