Boredom Eating?

jdubsmuscle
jdubsmuscle Posts: 67
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone else have trouble with eating when you're bored. I have a lot of time on my hands right now... and i'm not able to exercise as much as i was. So what do you guys do to avoid eating when you're bored - or do you have a light snack anyway?

Replies

• korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    I have started keeping big gum supplies at work and at home, that usually helps quite a bit, but sometimes gives me a headache from chomping so much.

I know some recommend brushing your teeth, but I haven't tried that (other than knowing that I hate to eat the hour after brushing)

Also, drink some water (or other non-caffinated) drink to see if you tummy just needs some company!
  • kvonborn
    kvonborn Posts: 2
    I usually will drink a big glass of carbonated water with lemon. Tastes kind of like sprite and keeps my mouth and stomach occupied. I also tend to chew on pens.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    I'm a huge boredom eater... when I'm bored I get on the net and either go to MFP or I research something else like problems with my truck..... and I spend A LOT of time planning for the next school year or planning out the next year of my life in general.... I'm anal about having a plan
  • grace1611
    grace1611 Posts: 55
    I eat when Iam bored , I usually make some green tea with loose tea like a little ritual, or I eat some frozen grapes, or I come here and chat to people.
  • I got in the habit of pausing at the door of the kitchen and consulting with my stomach to see if I'm actually hungry. It was hard to get into the habit, but once I got into the habit of pausing at the door and asking myself, "Do I really need food or am I just bored?" saved me calories and also money on groceries. If I genuinely feel hungry, I get myself a bottle of water first, because sometimes my tummy seems to send out hunger signals when what I really need is water. So after at least 8oz of water, if I'm still hungry, then I'll eat something.

Gum is a big help.

Pre-portioning your snacks is a big help, too, like getting a 2lb bag of baby carrots and portioning them into 3oz per baggie. That way you can just grab one and you know exactly how many calories, carbs, sugars, etc, that you're eating.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    This is a tough one! It takes practice, but eat only when you're hungry and don't indulge this habit. That's all it is, a BAD habit.... like biting your nails or pulling on your hair. Just be aware of what you are doing... eating because you are bored or wanting to eat because you are bored and decide not to.

Habits can only be replaced with other habits. What worked for me is to plan every meal ahead of time and stick to it. With time, this is your new habit.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    gum does help some, but ultimately it just comes down to making the right decision, fruit or oreos. if you choose the oreos {like i literally just finished eating} then eat only a serving, log it, and go on about your business. if you're actually really hungry, stop waiting to eat and just fix a balanced meal and sit and eat it, log it, go on with your day. drink water b/c you might be thirsty as well. hope this helps.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    I do pretty well with not eating when I'm bored at home but at work its another story...that being said, try to distract yourself, like by turning the tv on, open a book, go on MFP and distract yourself! Try munching on low calorie foods (I bought a big pack of mints today, allowed myself one roll and locked the rest in the car - i will not be going outside to get the rest!) you could also buy a mini fridge for your garage where you keep the goodies. since it will involve a walk to get the food, you may stop eating it.
  • Thank you everyone - all the suggestions are a huge help! I will definitely try the gum idea. You guys rock!
This discussion has been closed.