Stationary Bicycling?

rainbow118
rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a stationary bike that i am riding everyday. But how when you enter it into the computer their are different levels? I normally ride at 9mph. I've been putting light effort. Would 9mph be considered light effort?

Replies

• rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    I have a stationary bike that i am riding everyday. But how when you enter it into the computer their are different levels? I normally ride at 9mph. I've been putting light effort. Would 9mph be considered light effort?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    I know that when I bicycle I dont burn hardly any calories at all. I can't get my legs to move fast enough to get my heart rate up. Shorerider might be able to give a better idea as she is a regular cyclist. Hopefully she will be along soon.
  • Sorry I dont have an answer for you, but I wanted to add that I heard bicycling is good for the lower belly which is one of my biggest problem areas, so I do 15 minutes at the end of every workout.
  • GaoLee
    GaoLee Posts: 65
    I ride my stationary bike too... but I usually do a 30 minutes workout program, mine has 8 to choose from. Mine has a level you stick to... I usually burn about 150-225 depending on how fast I go. Usually 10-12 mph. I just log on as bicycling general.
  • Use a heart rate monitor. Get an inexpensive Polar on eBay. I'm a big advocate for heart rate monitors because it is a true measure of effort. For losing weight you want to work in the fat burning zone. 60%-75% max heart rate. On the cycle you want you ride to be about 90 minutes. At this heart rate it is a very light effort. When you pedal to fast you start to raise your heart rate to much that you'll be in the anaerobic threshold. This is for cardio conditioning. Fat burns at the lower level. At the higher level the muscles pull from carbohydrates. Be sure not to eat any carbs 2 hours before. No energy drinks or bars. It works and its proven.
This discussion has been closed.