Boy vs. Girl pushups

Options
I'm currently doing P90X. In the book, they recommend doing "boy" push-ups when you can complete 12-15 "girl" push-ups. Here's my question: I can do 12-15 + girl push-ups with good range of motion, but with "boy" push ups, I can barely go down to a 45 degree angle. Am I better off to stick with the girl push-up, and get the greater range of motion, or do the true push-up, even if I don't go as low?

Replies

• 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing P90X. In the book, they recommend doing "boy" push-ups when you can complete 12-15 "girl" push-ups. Here's my question: I can do 12-15 + girl push-ups with good range of motion, but with "boy" push ups, I can barely go down to a 45 degree angle. Am I better off to stick with the girl push-up, and get the greater range of motion, or do the true push-up, even if I don't go as low?
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    As they say...practice makes perfect. I would suggest doing the standard push-up the best way you can until you can do them all the way down. You hafta start somewhere IMHO.
  • mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Its a tricky one, my boyfriend drives me crazy when he tells me Im not doing them properly! As long as your back is straight and your not putting strain on any parts of your body you shouldnt be, I think doing half the motion is fine.

The other option that I do sometimes is i mix it up, a ratio of 4 girl pushups to 2 boy pushups.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but did you know that physically a "girl" pushup is AS difficult for a woman to complete as a "boy" pushup is for a man to do? They are equal. Different centre of gravity= different range of motion. :flowerforyou: ahhh the things you learn when your fiance is a phys-ed teacher.
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    Wow is that true? I always felt badly that "girl" pushups were tougher than I thought they should be. I feel like I'm working my muscles well when I do them, plus I think that more reps is good, so those are usually the ones I do.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Wow is that true? I always felt badly that "girl" pushups were tougher than I thought they should be. I feel like I'm working my muscles well when I do them, plus I think that more reps is good, so those are usually the ones I do.

yes it's true. If you can do boy ones that's great, you probably have awesome upper body strength, but if they are too tough, girl pushups are not cheating! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

yes it's true. If you can do boy ones that's great, you probably have awesome upper body strength, but if they are too tough, girl pushups are not cheating! :flowerforyou:
    good to know! I prefer doing mens...as long as I keep them up I can do them....quit doing them for any length of time....poof...one is tough, so I build it back up and off I go...

yea I too thought the whole concept of there being female vs. male type pushups was because men thought we were weaker....but now I have seen the light...you have inside info Kerri....glad to know that:laugh:
  • jgates426
    Options
    I like to do push-ups with my hands on the counter or washing maching and step my feet back until my body is angled right and that seems to work me as much as girl push-ups but I don't have to be on the floor and I get better form. I am not good at boy push-ups either
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I like to do push-ups with my hands on the counter or washing maching and step my feet back until my body is angled right and that seems to work me as much as girl push-ups but I don't have to be on the floor and I get better form. I am not good at boy push-ups either

I really enjoy doing the type you're talking about as well as wall pushups because you can do those type ANYWHERE:drinker:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I want to chime in. I say attempt to do boy pushups even if they aren't perfect form just the attempt is going to get you in shape and next thing you know your endurance will be more. IMHO I believe if you do girl pushups your only hurting yourself sure for some people if you do enough girl pushups you will feel it but it takes more, am i making any sense.

All I know is i haven't been allowed to do girl pushups in in almost 10 years the military is dead set against them!!

Good luck and congrads on the progress
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Heck, I'm just waiting for the day when I can do ANY type of pushup! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my push ups! 00020118.gif

I can tell you I work just as hard with my girly push ups as my son does with full military style.

I couldnt do 1 just a few months ago. now I am up to 47.

My arms and chest look GREAT, I am strong, and I feel I have accomplished something I thought I never would be able to do.

I started on the wall, with feet only 2 feet from the wall. Now I am in full range of motion with proper form.

WOO HOO for push ups! Do them any way you can, just do them!!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    As they say...practice makes perfect. I would suggest doing the standard push-up the best way you can until you can do them all the way down. You hafta start somewhere IMHO.

I agree- just keeping doing them military style until you master it
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Its a tricky one, my boyfriend drives me crazy when he tells me Im not doing them properly! As long as your back is straight and your not putting strain on any parts of your body you shouldnt be, I think doing half the motion is fine.

The other option that I do sometimes is i mix it up, a ratio of 4 girl pushups to 2 boy pushups.

My husband crtiques my form on military style push-ups he always say I dont go down far enough and that I need to go down like i do when I do the GIRLY ones-- The joys of being married to an Army man...
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have a question that I hope isnt as stupid as it sounds to me:embarassed: What exactly are the benefits of push-ups? What I mean is it for biceps? chest? I dont have very much upper body strength at all YET, but Im working on it. Right now Im thinking the wall thing that you described AWTY sounds like a good place to start!:smile:

~Roni
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Roni - pushups mostly work the triceps (back and side of the arm) and the chest. I have been doing the hundredpushups.com challenge for a while now, and my biceps haven't changed much, but the sides and backs of my arms are looking pretty good! Starting against the wall or on a counter is great, girly style is fine. Whatever you can do, as long as you push yourself and are improving it is all good. :flowerforyou:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much cp!:flowerforyou: Gonna add it in to my workouts!:drinker:

~Roni
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but did you know that physically a "girl" pushup is AS difficult for a woman to complete as a "boy" pushup is for a man to do? They are equal. Different centre of gravity= different range of motion. :flowerforyou: ahhh the things you learn when your fiance is a phys-ed teacher.

Wow, that is awsome...
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Wow, great information ladies! I think I might opt for the mix idea. Do as many of the military as I can, and then switch to girl-style.

The info on the different center of gravity is great! That should help with my guilt for not knocking those out!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My husband (a soldier) has a trick to max their push-ups and I'm surprised at how much it's helped me.
    It's called 21.
    You do 7 push-ups going only half ways down.
    Then you do 7 push-ups only doing the last half of the push-up (start on the ground and only push-up half way)
    Then you do 7 full push-ups.

If you can't do 21, then do sets of 3 and build up!