800 calories minimum is okay... for me!

Options
This does NOT apply to everyone, only me.

I talked to a professional today about diet and weight-loss.

One of the things that they said was "1200 calories minimum is a general number."
They have a height/weight chart that says what everyone should eat minimum.
I am 5'6" and 207.2lbs. Because of my height/weight I am allowed 800 calories minimum!
Also, NOT to eat exercise calories.

Everyone is thinking "WHAT?" .... Because I am as over weight as I am, my body has extra stored up fat it lives off of.

This is not my opinion, this is the knowledge of a professional who studies specifically in healthy/food/diet! So if you want to attack this post, it's pointless, unless you are also a professional which for some reason has proof of otherwise.

Also if you're 5'6" and around 207lbs, don't assume this information is the same for you. Talk to your dr first.

Replies

• camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    I can guarantee there are some tight-wads who are still going to say you're starving yourself ;)
    Good for you for talking to a physician!
    Otherwise you would be stuck eating 400 more calories than necessary... that would suck ^-^
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Definitely good to know! :)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Nope not attacking here but glad you are on here to take that step in losing weight! Also everyone is different in their weight, sex, height, health issues, etc. I don't know how many times I've said that either bc others say you "have to" eat the 1200 in order to stay healthy...sorry but I dont agree bc EVERYONE is different. So that is all....:drinker:
  • paulmg1234
    paulmg1234 Posts: 37
    Options
    I see your point about being overweight and having enough fat to fuel your body's needs. I just think that only eating 800 calories a day is going to feel like torture. 2-3 days of eating so few calories may be possible, but don't you think a slower more sustainable way of losing weight may be easier? I've noticed the successful people on this site eat the calories that are allotted to them. They also exercise. All the best, whatever you decide, though.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say WHAAAAAT?!?!?!!! Then I got to the fact that this is a nutritionist. Go for it and see how you do. Your run of the mill general practitioner knows little about nutrition, or at least mine does.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yes it all depends on how much stored fat you have to burn. I have two friends who were very obese and were on a medically managed weight-loss plan. During the initial phases of their weight loss, they were limited to 400 calories per day. But we're talking about people who had around 250 lb to lose.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I say whatever works that you can handle and aren't harming yourself, go for it. But if you start feeling sick, faint or just not losing any weight, consider switching it up
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I will mention that my husband, before I met him, was going through a bad time and he lost 100 lbs in a year by eating barely 1000 calories a day and he was about twice your weight. So yes, it varies based on the person.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I say follow your nutrtionist, but make him/her aware of this site and its features so you have a team approach. I expect after a short while your expert will up your caloric intake, especially as your start exercising. best wishes.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I see your point about being overweight and having enough fat to fuel your body's needs. I just think that only eating 800 calories a day is going to feel like torture. 2-3 days of eating so few calories may be possible, but don't you think a slower more sustainable way of losing weight may be easier? I've noticed the successful people on this site eat the calories that are allotted to them. They also exercise. All the best, whatever you decide, though.

I only eat when I'm hungry, and that's usually 700-900 a day. I don't try to eat less to lose weight, that's just what I happen to eat. If I'm hungry I eat, some days more than others *shrugs*
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'm 5'6" and weigh 100 pounds more than you. So by your logic, I should be eating like 500 cals a day? I'd chew my damn arm off!
  • myiceisonfire
    Options
    I say follow your nutrtionist, but make him/her aware of this site and its features so you have a team approach. I expect after a short while your expert will up your caloric intake, especially as your start exercising. best wishes.

He knows about the site =) Also i told him I was working out. He told me not to eat the calories I'm burning. It defeats the purpose.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You do what you need to :) personally I have learned what does not work on my own diet ... It's a learning curve. Try it and just keep in mind of symptoms of not enough. So proud of you Brina.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    As long as you're working with a health care professional, it's not really any one else's business what one eats ;)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'm 5'6" and weigh 100 pounds more than you. So by your logic, I should be eating like 500 cals a day? I'd chew my damn arm off!

LOL! Me too. Chew my damn arm off, that is.
  • myiceisonfire
    Options

LOL! Me too. Chew my damn arm off, that is.

Please don't start eating 500 calories based off of what MY healthcare professional told ME. Everyone is different. Especially if you have health problems like diabetes etc. This post was not to be taken as advice that eating under 1200 calories is okay for everyone. Talk to your Dr first.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ps, eating burned ores isn't pointless. I royally screwed my body by only netting 200 a day by not eating some back at least. Just my experience.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    That is what my doctor and nutritionist told me too. I eat between 800 and a 1000 calories a day and do not eat back my exercise calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good on you for getting and following professional advice. It sounds as though that will work for you.

But for me, there is NO WAY I could survive on calories so low, eating much more than that and losing weight steadily is my preferred strategy.

As we all know, different strokes for different folks......
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Just remember you CAN eat a bit more if you start feeling faint. Most slimfast/weight watchers diets have you on 900 cals a day.