Middle of the Night Calories

Options
Matiara
Matiara Posts: 377 Member
This is an odd question, but it's been bugging me.

I have a chronic pain condition due to a pinched nerve in my spine. Of the treatments that were offered to me, pain meds were least scary.

Several nights per week, I will wake up in the middle of the night due to spasms or the pain just amping up and have to take my meds. However, I can't take them on an empty stomach and so I usually take them with a glass of milk or orange juice. Other times, I'll eat half a bowl of cereal. At 3AM, I don't want to put in much effort. I just want to go back to sleep.

So, I haven't been counting the calories because I'm starving when I wake up every morning and I just assumed that my body used those calories while I got the remainder of my sleep. Is that wrong? Should I be counting them toward my daily total? I'm back to eating in moderation, but still trying to stay in a calorie limit.

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would count them just to see how much they influence you. However, I would not cut them out because it does seem like you definitely need them. :) Take care!
  • LuvMyBoys2
    LuvMyBoys2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would count them. However, if you've been doing it and you are still losing weight I'd just keep eating : )
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    in agree i would count them, i mean if you eat those extra cals and are stlll losing you can adjust your goals if yo wish or what ever, but just show you know.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would count them, and probably record them in the morning's calories
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It does make sense to count them because they *are* intake. My metabolism is pretty fast, but still, a little can add up to a lot over time.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would always count them, like you said theyare intake. But take them with some lower calorie options like unsweetened almond milk, less than half the calories of skim milk. I would avoid juices in the middle of the night, you don't want to spike your insulin at that time.
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would definitely count them. I wake up hungry in the middle of the night sometimes and eat a bowl of oatmeal. It's filling and comforting. I usually don't eat all my calories so I can add it on the day before or after. I don't think it matters either way as long as you track it.