question about burning calories while weight training?

treeman821
treeman821 Posts: 20
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
When you weight train you must burn calories. When you log in your Cardio mfp will help figure out how many calories you burn. When you log in your weight training it doesn't give you an option?? So how can you figure out how many calories your burning while weight training? For example I ran on the treadmill for 27 mins, my treadmill gave me my calories burned(307),after my cardio I lifted weights for 40 mins doing chest,tricept,& some shoulder exercises. Is there any way too figure this into your daily log.?

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Wearing a HRM will give you a count, but if you don't have one, I would put in the 27 minutes on the treadmill and then put in 40 minutes for weight training under cardio as well.
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Under the Cardio there is a category for Strength training. I put mine under that and under the strength training, since the strength training doesn't count calories.:happy:
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    The best suggestion I can make, is invest in an HRM. Its the only true way to know your calorie burn. In my experience, most of the time you will burn less calories when I do weights. Your heartrate does not get as high. However, that is just me.
  • There's an option for weight/strength training under cardio. I don't know how accurate it is, but it at least gives some type of estimate/idea..
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    strength training is an option under cardio. I know it sounds a little backwards but i did it and compared the numbers to my HRM and it was pretty close. Just an option.
  • treeman821
    HRM is something I will definitely look into. I just went back into diary and went under cardio and typed weight training and it did have weight training there .. thanks for the advise :)
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    HRM is something I will definitely look into. I just went back into diary and went under cardio and typed weight training and it did have weight training there .. thanks for the advise :)

I strongly suggest getting a HRM I just got mine about 3 weeks ago and I LOVE IT!!! It gives me such a better picture of what I am doing! Once I started using it is when I started to see a big decrease in my weight. I have a New balance. I have seen people on here suggest either the New Balance or the Polar. The New Balance was cheaper. If you do get one I would also suggest getting one that has a chest strap!
  • treeman821
    I will definitely get one. How does it work? Does it look like a watch? Lol probably a stupid question but I never seen one
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    It does look like a watch and there is also a chest strap. I just bought the Polar FT60 from amazon.com and LOVE IT!!! I had a SportLine Duo and hated it! The new one was $150 but so worth the money. Very easy to set up and use. I love mine! I highly recommend getting one. Polar is a great brand and they do have ones that are less expensive. OH YEA! They even tell time!!! :wink:
  • treeman821
    It does look like a watch and there is also a chest strap. I just bought the Polar FT60 from amazon.com and LOVE IT!!! I had a SportLine Duo and hated it! The new one was $150 but so worth the money. Very easy to set up and use. I love mine! I highly recommend getting one. Polar is a great brand and they do have ones that are less expensive. OH YEA! They even tell time!!! :wink:
  • treeman821
    I can't wait too buy one now! I'm glad I asked this question! Thanks
This discussion has been closed.