C25K question...

Options
So I just completed my first week of of the C25k plan, but my left knee is starting to hurt...Im not sure if I should keep running or what. This seems to always happen when I start really commiting to a work out. Maybe its because I weigh 215? Anyways this really sucks Ive been looking forward to running for the first time in my life and now my knee is ruining it :( So does anyone else have knee pain from running? Not sure if I need to go to the doctors or what?

Replies

• cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Well I'm still much heavier than that, and I ran at 30 lbs heavier than this. So I don't think that your weight automatically means your knee will hurt. The biggest thing that made the difference for my running was getting properly fitted for running shoes at my local running store. It was amazing to me the difference that it made. So that would be my best piece of advice!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was at 263 and waited until I got down to 195 to change from walking to running. I'm 5'11" male and 51. I finished C25K last week and usually the 1 day off was enough to have my joints recover. I did go to a running store and bought a good pair of running shoes too! They have been well worth it.
  • skatw
    skatw Posts: 28
    Options
    I had ACL reconstructive surgery my sophomore year of high school. I am 29 now, so that was a while back, but my knee has never fully recovered. For the longest time I would put more weight on the other knee and try to stay off my right one as much. Because of that, the left one isn't the best in the world either. When I first started C25k, I had bad knee pains. I went to Walgreens and bought a knee brace for my right knee and began wearing it when I ran. It helped both because I wouldn't put extra weight on the left one. Now that I have been running longer, I don't have to wear the knee brace because I built up muscle and my knee is stronger. I've also lost weight, which has helped. You may want to consider the doctor, but that is what helped mine. I already knew what was wrong with it, which is why I didn't bother visiting the doc. Good luck on C25K! I never thought I could run, especially when I started after my pregnancy and was 238 lbs. The first 60 lbs I lost, came off due to running!
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Its not your weight.. consult your physician and/or doctor.. it could be something small from a pull.. or a tear. Or you might need to brace your knee... :) hopefully this helps.. im on day 1!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    What part of your knee hurts...

It has nothing to do with your weight.

If it is the front - Runners Knee
    If it is the outside - Irritated I.T. Band (You can get a brace that goes around the knee that helps - Running stores have them)

Look up running knee problems... You can find stretches to do... Take Motrin and ice! Oh, and stay off of it till it feels better. If it goes on for more than a week I would go see a doc.

Also, make sure you are wearing proper shoes. Go to a running store, get fitted and expect to spend some bucks.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Shoes, shoes, more shoes.... that's my easy answer. Make sure you take the next day off, never run two days in a row (until you're much more accustomed to it) and get fit for the right shoes! I think knee braces can help, but first go to a running store and get fit for shoes. Tell them exactly what you're feeling, they will give you good answers!