Juicing fast

Options
Has anyone tried a juicing fast? My husband and I are going strong on day 3 of a juice fast, and I'm so surprised that I still have energy to work out and manage the kids. If you've tried it, did you have much success? How long did you stay on it? Could you recommend places for good recipes (we are not loving the flavors, bleh, but we feel great)? When you transitioned back to solid food, how was that for you? Just lots of questions!

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

I watched this guys documentary about juice fasts I kinda wanna try a 10 day one
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I've done a Shakeology cleanse, but not a juice fast. Just make sure you're getting the cals you need, which juice usually has plenty of.
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    I have not done a juice fast, but am considering it in the near future. I watched the movie fat sick and nearly dead. There are all kinds of recipes on that web site.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I just watched this also.. and Im seriously thinking about doing it for 10 days as well.. his weight loss was amazing and how his body changed and he became healthy was mind blowing!
    http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

I watched this guys documentary about juice fasts I kinda wanna try a 10 day one
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP buddies turned me on to the movie and she did a nearly week long fast. I'm very interested in trying it too and will probably give it a go in a few weeks (after I'm back from vacation).
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie as well. If you are going to go through a ketogenic diet, you might as well go on the Atkin's diet as you get to eat protein and fat.

I was also going to do the veggie juice fast, but decided against it as I signed up to their reboot website and saw the actual meals you eat. I decided that if I am going to eat vegetables, I might as well eat them, fiber and all.

I am not hating on the diet or the movie. Just that there are more options to you if you decide to go on a short term dieting weight loss program.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    You get plenty of carbs, protein, calcium, etc. You certainly get more carbs then if you did Atkins. I think the point that is being missed a lot is that most of us are doing this as a HEALTH exercise, not a crash diet.
  • R_Pup1976
    R_Pup1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the first 2 weeks of August. I'll give the results afterwards. Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead inspired me to try it also.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    I'm doing more of a Live to Eat Furman thing, but it's the movie that made me go 'WTF?!'. I also ordered a kick *kitten* juicer because the one I have you need to take apart every five minutes to clean.

If people take the time to research, they'd see that the nutrients are there and insoluble fiber is still there, it's not a risky venture if you are reasonably healthy.

Fasting has been done for forever, fcol, most of us could benefit form a couple weeks of hardcore micronutrients. It isn't Slim Fast. I'm eating veggies and fruit only right now for the next few weeks, plus juicing. I can tell you I feel awesome. I never feel awesome.
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm not one for fad diets. Never done them. But this seemed different. This can retrain us on how to use food to nourish our bodies while at the same time hugely promoting healing within our bodies. We're both seeing how we've often used food for comfort (or boredom!) and how certain foods that we crave have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. I don't know that atkins can pack the nutritional punch that we're getting on this one. We're really excited about how it's going!
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    where do you get your protein and fat from while juice fasting
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    At this point we have plenty of stored fat to work from (I need to lose about 60lbs & my husband has 150 to go). As for protein, I'm still learning what we actually need in our bodies. At this point, we're doing fine, but we'll need to reevaluate that at some point. I'm doing lots of reading, and, so far, I'm reading that we can get enough protein from the plants we're eating. So far, I'm satisfied with that, but I think I'll be able to tell more after we've been doing this longer and after we've gotten a few more hard workouts in.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    where do you get your protein and fat from while juice fasting

If you look up the nutritional info there is plenty of protein. But, you HAVE to use veg as the majority. The vast majority of us, even relatively fit people have enough fat to survive a juice or water fast. Phil and Joe are not the exception other then they great length of time they put in.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    zx8znl.jpg

This is my goal once I get done juicing.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I did a 21 day cleanse that wasn't necessarily an all juice fast, but focused on juicing every morning and no solid foods until noon, then one day a week with a complete juice fast (along with eating a completely vegan diet.) It's from Kris Carr's book, Crazy Sexy Diet and I absolutely loved it. I felt so energized and healthy and just cleaner overall. My skin brightened up and I just felt amazing.

You can add in literally anything you want for your juice recipes, but I really liked adding in some coconut water or coconut oil for an extra punch of flavor and some good fat. I really tried to do mostly veggies with only one or 2 pieces of fruit mixed in (mostly pears or green apples.)

I watched that documentary just this past weekend actually (Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead) and was totally inspired by it as well. Since I've already had a great intro to juicing, I think I might try a 10 day juice fast here soon. I'm a big believer in the benefits of juicing! :)