Looking for Healthy Ice Cream Maker Recipes

I went Target for some stuff and what's at the end of the isle for summer sale section? Ice cream maker (no salt needed) for $7.49 (reg. $30)! I've wanted to try making my own with almond milk and other fun stuff for awhile, so I can make it deliciously wonderful and healthy.....here's my chance!

Anyone have any good recipes? (But none that use artificial sweetener or agave please... I avoid both, but I am open to Truvia which is make from stevia) or regular sugar.

There is a new Danish ice cream/sorbet shop in LA that makes excellent stuff with much less fat and calories than regular and I'm tempted to go work there just to pick up some secrets :-)

Replies

• Lily0013
    Lily0013 Posts: 28
    You should be able to take most ice cream recipes that you find online and substitute almond or coconut milk for the regular milk or cream. I make mint chocolate chip with almond milk and steeping fresh mint leaves in the 'milk' while it cooks then straining hem out, add dark chocolate chips after the mixture has cooled in the fridge.
  • joyboehme
    joyboehme Posts: 2
    Here is a recipe that I got from my MIL...
    2c sugar
    8c half & half--2 qt (I think fat-free is available) :)
    pinch of salt
    3 tsp vanilla
    mix until sugar is dissolved then freeze according to directions of maker you are using

You can also halve the recipe as needed (we are a family of five and we just store the rest for the next day or two). This tastes so fresh and yummy!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    PB Banana Choco Ice Cream
    (made with cottage cheese!)

BvR4Z.jpg

This is already in the database under "McKayMachina's PB Banana Ice Cream".
    This recipe makes two servings.

* 1 cup vanilla soy milk
    * 1/2 cup cottage chz (I mix 1/2 original and 1/2 low-fat)
    * 2 tbsp. low-fat creamy Jif (or your favorite PB)
    * 1 banana (about 6" or 130 grams)
    * 1 1/2 tsp. stevia sweetener
    * 3 rectangles Hershey's Special Dark Choco bar

SUBSTITUTIONS: Don't like cottage cheese? Use greek yogurt! If you don't like soy milk, use skim. The chocolate only adds 45 calories. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Anyone but Leela reading this...click here if you don't have an ice cream maker (like me):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/265-calorie-pb-banana-ice-cream-made-w-cottage-chz-95127
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Berry Frozen Yogurthttp://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/berry_frozen_yogurt.html
    From EatingWell: Summer 2004, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)Somewhere between a fruity sorbet and a creamy ice cream lies this richly flavored low-fat dessert.
    6 servings, 1/2 cup each | Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes (including 1 hour chilling time)
    Ingredients
    * 3 cups fresh or frozen and partially thawed blackberries, or raspberries or a mixture of blackberries, raspberries and blueberries (see Tip)
    * 6 tablespoons sugar
    * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    * 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt

Preparation
    1. Combine berries, sugar and lemon juice in a food processor; process until smooth. Add yogurt and pulse until mixed in. If using fresh berries, transfer the mixture to a medium bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
    2. Transfer the berry mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. (Alternatively, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal pan until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth and creamy.) Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.

NutritionPer serving : 106 Calories; 1 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 2 mg Cholesterol; 22 g Carbohydrates; 3 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 22 mg Sodium; 192 mg Potassium
    1 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit
    Tips & Notes
    * Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week. Let soften in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving. | Equipment: Ice cream maker or food processor

* Tip: To freeze fresh berries: Wash berries and pat dry. Spread in a single layer on a tray, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until solid. Pack frozen fruit into ziplock bags, taking care to remove air from the bags. Freeze for up to 1 year.