Healthy Hamburger Buns?

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
What are some people's suggestions for a healthy hamburger bun?? I'd like one relative in calories (>150) and low in sodium (>200 if possible). The only brand I can think of is Sara Lee's 80 calorie buns. I'm in charge of buns for a family party on Sunday and so I'm trying to keep it healthy for me but still tasty for them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    Try the Aunt Millie Slimwiches. They are 90 calories and so good. Not sure about sodium content though...

The Hawaiian ones are so good, so tasty!!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine in lettuce leaves so very few calories.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    Healthy Life whole wheat buns. 100% whole wheat flour, but I don't know the sodium content.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Pepperidge Farm's Deli Flats make a great hamburger bun! I actually prefer them to regular buns. They are much thinner and only 100 calories. They make different flavors like 7 grain, whole wheat, and honey wheat.

Either that or a good whole wheat or spinach wrap. I think you may have more luck with the deli flats though if you are buying for everyone.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I use Weight Watchers whole wheat buns - 110 cals and 220 mg of sodium (according to an online source).
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Aunt Millie's slim buns white is 90 cal and 160 sodium and whole wheat is 90 cal and 140 sodium, then there is the 8 grain slim bun at 90 cal and no sodium. I have tried the 8 grain this past week, it's not the tastiest bun I've ever had but what I put inside made up for that. lol We used it for chicken salad sandwiches and grilled burgers, surprisingly it held up against the burger and condiments rather well.
  • megala65
    megala65 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Correction: the Aunt Millie's white slim bun is 100 cal.
  • realitybytez
    Options
    Healthy Life Hamburger Buns Light.

80 calories, only five calories from fat.
    200 mg sodium
    NO cholesterol
    NO trans fat
    5G of dietary fiber
    only 3G of sugar (unfortunately, it is HFCS)
  • utes09
    Options
    Slimbuns won't really fly with my fam. We're doing sloppy joes and they'll want a regular lookin bun. I'm bringing my own boca patty cuz I can't stand sloppy joes.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Depends if you want low-cal or actually healthy. Ezekial sprouted grain buns are pretty much perfection as far as health goes.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I like the Arnold Select Multi-Grain Sandwich Thins. 100 calories each, and Costco sells them.
  • utes09
    Options
    Yeah I was looking at Eizekel but I know my family wouldn't like those. I'll probably just get Nature's Pride or another brand that doesn't use HFCS...
  • utes09
    Options
    I'm still trying to get my hubby hooked on the Ezikel bread. I like it, yes it's different but once you add your sandwich components, etc it tastes fine. At least to me.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    I fed my boyfriend a burger and he didn't even know the difference. I have to be clever and trick him. I guess I'm so used to it, that I don't even see the taste difference lol!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Where are you located?

Here in Quebec there are the Loblaw's President's Choice Blue menu Whole wheat burger buns.

Not horrible but also a not too distant cousin to cardboard either.

Another alternative that I use is a whole wheat pita. Low in calories and comes in around the 200mg of Sodium.

A third, that I have enjoyed the most, is a Montreal style bagel. As this is unleven there is no salt to activate the yeast. Each bagel comes in at 5mg of Sodium. Tastes great. However, there is the hole in the middle where the ketchup & mustard leak out! :-) A small price to pay in my opinion.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was looking at Eizekel but I know my family wouldn't like those. I'll probably just get Nature's Pride or another brand that doesn't use HFCS...

If anyone has suggestions for bread from an average grocery store that doesn't have HFCS, please let me know. Especially on buns like the OP asked for. My husband and I have pretty much given up. The only one I can find is country italian bread from the bakery at Food Lion, but the buns aren't good from the same place. I also would like a wheat bread that doesn't have brown sugar and a bunch of junk... sorry to hijack the OP's thread!

As for the OP, I want to say there is a brand of 'hoagie' buns that doesn't have it, and I can't recall. Try the bakery at your local grocery store versus the pre-packaged brands.