Gastric Bypass...

Options

Replies

• vivid2012
    vivid2012 Posts: 31
    Options
    For me it is very simple, I didn't have surgery to put this weight on, I'm not gonna have surgery to take it off.
    It's not healthy to have surgery.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    For me it is very simple, I didn't have surgery to put this weight on, I'm not gonna have surgery to take it off.

yeh but the way i see it till your flying over the 300/400 lb mark you cant really know what you are talking about!
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    I had gastric bypass at the age of 36 and as an obese person as long as I can remember I wish now that I had been able to do it so much earlier. Being obese is a vicious cycle, trying to exercise, but hurting too much to exercise, so stopping exercising. Having a metabolism that is on the floor. I had also tried every diet imaginable out there. Losing weight was not really my problem--keeping it off was~ AND when the pounds came back, it was always more than what I had lost!

As an ER nurse, it took me about 3 years to decide that surgery was the right choice for me. I would see people with complications in the ER, but I did not see any of the successes; and believe me, there are more successes than complications.

You will find many posters on here who talk about the risks of GBS but I implore you to do your research yourself. Like any surgery, there are risks, but overall today GBS is really a safe surgery; and compared to a lifetime of being obese and yo-yo dieting I came to realize the benefits of the surgery outweighed the risks. I would suggest that to minimize the risks do your research, particularly about your surgeon. What is their complication rate? How many deaths (if any) have they had? How many of this type of surgery do they do each year?

A great resource for information in general was obesityhelp.com . I found this website extremely helpful during my journey.

As others have pointed out, GBS is just a tool to managing weight. For me, it has been very successful. I have lost 125 pounds. However, it is not a nirvana~ Over the past 6 months I have gained 10 back due to my not following the pouch rules. Since on MFP I have lost 8 of those back and hope to lose a few more. After 5 years of surgery, the tool is still working for me.

I would caution you, however, regardless or surgery or not, to get therapy with a cognitive behavioral therapist who specializes in eating disorders. While genetics and other factors may play into obesity, there usually is also an underlying root psychologically to obesity. The therapist can assist you in determining whether the surgery is the right choice. There are factors such as are you mature enough to play by the rules (and there are pouch rules) that the therapist can help sort through. Additionally, if you do choose surgery therapy will be helpful with dealing with body image issues and social issues that emerge from losing so much weight after being so heavy.

Wishing you the best~
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am almost afraid to post here. I had gastric bypass on Feb. 7, 2011. There are many reasons to have gastric bypass done, including health issues. You must attend nutrition classes and see a nutritionist for 5 years post op. You communicate with your nutritionist anytime needed between appointments. You have to take vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of your life. You have to have a psychological exam with a psychiatrist. The process to have the surgery is quite involved and can take up to a year depending on your insurance company. I began eating right and exercising a year before the surgery. I eat 6 small meals a day. I can eat anything within moderation (no fried foods or sugary foods). It depends how committed you are before and after the surgery. It is not a cure all. It is tool just like MFP. You only get out of it what you put into it.

Thank you for sharing! So glad to hear that pot-op people are required to see a nutritionist. It seems that would be very important.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options

yeh but the way i see it till your flying over the 300/400 lb mark you cant really know what you are talking about!

At my biggest, I weighed 341, currently, I weigh 304. And I was speaking for myself, not telling everyone to not have the surgery. It is a tough decision, I've thought about having it done. I decided it was not an option for me. That's all I meant. Sorry if any of you misunderstood me.
  • ccmulder5
    ccmulder5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been up and down on the scale my whole life. I am tired of the drama that comes with it. I have been on so many diets throughout the years, but nothing that stuck.. i've lost 40lbs here, 60lbs there, even as much as 80lbs.. but i always allowed it to come back for some reason. i have even considered surgery. I went thru many of the tests to have it done, and then one night after an appointment, i had a major anxiety attack. i TRULY KNOW that surgery on my belly will NOT fix the problem. WHAT I NEED TO FIX IS IN MY HEAD. Nobody is going to do this for me.. There are no magic pills.. I simply have to make the necessary changes to fix the problem, and then continue that for the rest of my life.
  • EMILEL
    EMILEL Posts: 1
    Options
    I have read several opinions on the Gastric Bypass and since I have had this procedure done I felt like I need to share. In 2001 at the age of 24 I had this surgery. I was a last ditch effort for me. I had not always been obese. I was a high school athlete and had a very serious spine injury while playing college sports. Once I had the injury the weight just poured on. I would like to say it was just due to the injury but it was not, depression from the injury had a lot to do with it. Once I got to the point of being 300 lbs. I discussed it with my back surgeon because it seemed like the only option to help me if I did not want to have back surgery. My surgeon agreed and I made the decision. My family and friends DID NOT support me on the decision at the time since it was fairly uncommon to have such a surgery. I had known people who had it and it did not work for them and in one case I knew someone who died from it. I did my research and ound a surgeon that was very well recommended and had done hundreds upon hundreds of these surgeries. Once I had the surgery I dropped the wait very quickly and it made my back and health way better. I would like to tell people that you have to make the life decision that goes along with it. I was given a meal structure to follow and to tell you the truth I was so paranoid about the complications that I had heard about that I took everything to the extreme. If it said to be on liquids for a certain amount of time I doubled it. I wanted to take it slow re-introding food into my system. I did not eat bread products again for over a year. I am now 34 years old (10.5 years later) and I am consistently watch my weight. I had my first child this past year and during my pregnancy I watched my weight as well to make sure that I did not gain too much. Not only for keeping weight down but watching my back and how much I could carry along with the weight of my child. I had my baby a year ago and I am back to my pre-baby weight of 150 lbs. Even though my friends and family did not support the surgery when I was plannng on doing it, based on how I have maintained it over the past 10 years they say it was the best decision that I have ever made. My mom tells me that she believes that mentally I was prepared for the task at hand. For those who think it is a cop out, just remember that there are sometimes reasons for people to do this surgery. The only advice that I can give to people considering it is that I really think that you should discuss with your physician prior to and get their advice on if you are a good candidate. Mine told me that there was no physical way that I could exercise enough to get the weight of based on my back issues. You need to make the life changing decision to commit to loosing the weight and keeping it off.

Good luck to those who make this decision!
  • MAG2010
    MAG2010 Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm a band patient and let me say - no form of WLS is the easy way out. It's almost more work because it alters the way you look at food forever (both good and bad). I debated and researched it for four years, spoke to surgeons, nutritionists, psychologists, support groups....all before deciding it was for me. I have ZERO regrets. I like the band because it helps me to eat only the amounts I'm suppose to but it's not like it makes me not WANT to eat and choosing the right foods still falls on me. If I'm not willing to do the work then neither will the band. It's only 1 part of a 3 part system (band, proper diet and exercise...w/out all 3, the band will not work). There's no WLS that is going to bypass the brain, cravings, emotional eating, etc. So if overeating issues are emtionally driven then no WLS is going to work. But with commitment, it can be a very successful tool for those that just can't do it w/out that little extra help.

Good luck!
  • Beanie150
    Beanie150 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have been on so many programs over the past 20 years and been able to loose the weight but not able to keep it off. I have over 100 lbs to loose and I am thinking of having gastric bypass surgery. I am in the process of going through all the paper work and appointments. I know I can do this and will make a life change for myself with eating healthy and exercising. That I am looking forward to. My concern and the one thing that is making me hesitant is the people that have had this surgery and are like 15- 20 years out of it. You dont hear much about it.. this surgery has been done for 30 years. I want to hear what a 60 year old has to say about how their health is after surgery over the 20 or 30 years. What are the medical complications that have happened if any. There have not been any studies on this. I am glad I read your post because 10 years is a long time and it sounds like it is going very well for you. Keep up the great work.:smile:
  • Beanie150
    Beanie150 Posts: 2
    Options
    So glad I found this site to hear everyones sucess stories.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree that the surgery is not for everyone. You definitely take a risk. I know people who have had success with it, and some who didn't (one had terrible infections and didn't lose any weight).

I can understand the need for surgery, especially in the super morbidly obese or bed-bound patients. I used to love that show "Big Medicine" on Discovery Health about the weight loss surgeons who were father & son. The before & afters were unreal! Glad they have been able to help so many people regain their mobility.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    my next door neighbor, a ret.d Dr point blank once said " If you don't have to get operated on, DONT............

He has about 50 years of experience, so I am liking what he says...........if its life pending, yeah, but if you dont have to, try it with out........I did, lost 145 lbs and never felt better.I took my time, patience was my new middle name and I plateaued 3 different times, but everytime I lost a pound , it did something for my confidence

another story

I know 4 sisters, went to school with LInda. She had bi pass 5 years ago, a few complications, shes done excellent

2nd sister had it, lots of complications and never adhered to a proper diet, did a lot of eating bad foods and passed them quickly and now shes heavier than before, about 40 lbs according to Linda

3rd sister had complications, lost it all and now is about 30 lbs heavier........her 2 sons were both killed and the depression took its toll..........she turned to food in her time of greif

4th sister never has had the bi pass.....shes 41 and had her first heart attack.........shes about 350 lbs and really doesnt think it matters, shes fat and shes OK with it....

another side note.......the sisters dont speak anymore........seems the one would jump the other one about eating too much, eatig the wrong foods, eating wrong portions sizes, constantly criticizing the other about eating habits........Linda and the sister who lost her sons live together and the 3 work at the same company.........the 4th lives in the country

seems since surgery, they are put out with each other........kind a strange, growing up they used to be inseparable.............Lloyd

again, it depends on how you can cope with it , after your surgery................Good luck, Lloyd
  • bac0s
    bac0s Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One thing that confuses me -- I've heard lots of people saying they needed to lose weight and follow a particular diet before the surgery. Some have lost as much as 50 pounds pre-surgery... but the surgery is supposed to be for those who have tried everything and haven't been successful? If one can lose 50 pounds before the surgery, doesn't that kind of prove you CAN do it without surgery? I think that it can be a very useful tool in some situations, but I'd say those situations are few and far between.

Also, not a fan b/c I don't think folks think about how much of a major surgery it is. My cousin died on the operating table when she went in for a gastric bypass. Complications are rare, but they can happen, just like any major surgery.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have one friend that got it and when she lost all her weight she became an alcoholic, a year later had a mental break, has attempted suicide multiple times, her husband left her and she had to move back in with her mother in another state and is currently in a hospital from yet another suicide attempt.

On that note, I also have a friend that had it, lost all the weight, looks fantastic and is almost the same person.

Long story short: It works for some people, it doesn't work for others. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row before going through something that changes your mind and body so drastically.

I actually had to check your profile to see where you are from after reading this, I know 2 people who are basically the same as the two you described!! That's too weird!!
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It is far from the easy way out. It is far from the lazy way out. You will work harder having WLS than without it really. You have to be committed to it, have to attend appointments, meetings. You have to show you really want it by losing X amount of weight before the surgery. My sister is planning to get it and in 1 month alone she had 13 doctor's appointments. You have a sleep study done, nutritionists, pysch evaluation, stress test, blood work. And you do not get sliced open. There are about 5 small incisions, all of them being about 1/2 inch big. I used to be nervous about that aspect because I have been looking into it myself...

And yes I always thought the entire if I could lose 50-100 pounds before the WLS why would I need it...It is to help shrink the liver also because that is in the area the surgery is being done.

And when people who have had WLS become addicted to alcohol or drugs or shopping or gambling it is called addiction transference. Because they can no longer be addicted to food, they find something to fill that void.

There is also a newer WLS called the sleeve. Basically just do all your research. If you have a good doctor and follow his orders exactly there should be no reason it should not work for you. There is a guy who goes to the support meetings in my area...he has lost 186 pounds but he followed the doctor's orders to the T
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    bacos, actually, after I posted my reply, I remembered that Linda told me that a lady there at her work ,died at a basketball game after having the surgery, because of complications that originated from the original surgery
    her other cowoker at the same company lost his mother in law...........kinda scarry, huh

and........my nephew and his wife divorced about 3 months after she had bi pass and lost her 100 lbs about 5 years ago

saw her in May, and shes gained about half of it back...................Lloyd
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have a lapband (rather than a bypass) and do not regret it at all. I am far more active now than I have ever been. I havent yet read all of this thread and I'm not going to because as usual those of us that have weight loss surgery are seen as cheats and lazy and I really cannot be arsed justifying myself to anyone over what I do with my money and my body. What I do know is that I am fitter, healthier and slimmer now for going down the surgery route. And I do not live on just a cupful of baby food. I eat well and properly and have a decent portion size.

ETA - And the best thing to come out of losing weight was regaining my fertility. We have a healthy and beautiful 8 month old baby boy. I had been infertile for 12 years previous.
  • jmgx4stl
    jmgx4stl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had Lapband surgery in 2009. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I weighed 265lbs. Lost 90 lbs and now weight 175. I exercise doing P90X and running (2 things I never did prior to my surgery) 6 days/week. I just had a circumferential bodylift in June to remove the excess skin.

I have struggled with weight loss since 1993 when I gained 108 lbs. with my first pregnancy. I have tried every diet out there and lost weight but put it back on. Lapband was my last chance. I quit smoking a year before my surgery, quit drinking soda, and excercised 3 days per week. I lost 1 lb that year. That was my sign. I am now almost addicted to working out and eat very small amounts. I have had some acid reflux but that has been taken care of. If I had it to do all over again, I would definitely do it. The only way it will work though is if the person has the right frame of mind.

I have 2 family members that have had gastric bypass and they have both lost over 150 lbs. One has kept it off and one has put on 50. She is still better off than before. Longterm effects - who knows?

This is definitely not the lazy person's way out. If they are lazy, it will not work!
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Had it... went through a traumatic experience one year after and began binge eating and stretched my stomach out. I can tell you that i still have the side effects even though i have a "big" stomach again. I don't absorb nutrients well, became anemic, have "dumping syndrome" sometimes even now.... and a huge scar but then again i had mine in 2000 about 2 months after carnie wilson and i was a case study. You lose the weight quickly and the body cannot catch up. I can tell you first hand that while slow and steady may seem tedious the body will look better and feel better if lost naturally. message me if you have any questions. This is a VERY serious surgery with life changing outcomes that last forever.

This is my worry and why I think it should be a last resort for someone with serious medical issues. bottomline is it isn't any of my business how someone else loses their weight. for me I didn't want to take the risks and wanted to try to do it on my own first and I was able to so it wasn't an issue anymore. I will say that since I did it I always think others can but again, not for me to say.
  • lissarv68
    lissarv68 Posts: 61
    Options
    My opinion? Doctors who do them without making sure their patients also receive nutritional and emotional/psychological counseling along with it should lose their license. Heck, I'd even give them jail time if I could get away with it.

Too many encourage their patients to do this without addressing the underlying condition that created the obesity in the first place.

Now, if we have a doctor who insists that their patient do these things before the operation? And if the patient is a real candidate for this (sorry but 100 lbs can be loss and really isn't worth a risky operation) then I think it could be a very good thing.

I think that there comes a point (300, 400 lbs) that the person really needs surgical help to get where they need to be.