How do you get rid of hunger pains?

Options
Hey, I'm new to dieting and I've been eating more healthy foods. Can anybody help me?

Replies

• oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough protein -- it fills you up! Also make sure you're drinking enough water. And really think about whether you're hungry -- sometimes hungry is a mouth or brain feeling rather than a stomach feeling, if that makes any sense. :smile:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i find eating my daily allowance, little and often makes it so that i am rarely hungry.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Eat. You don't look overweight enough to have a calorie deficit. Just add a workout routine if you need to tone up. But don't eat less than 1200 calories + however much you burn while working out.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi, try having 6 smal meals a day instead of 3.... snack on things like carrot sticks and humous, vegetable always fill me up and dont go for sugary or high carb foods as they only supress hunger for a small amoutn of time....fruit, yoghurts, cereal, soups, etc. Little and often always help me through ym day x
  • ohskinnyme
    ohskinnyme Posts: 24
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. Humans can't actually tell the difference between hunger and thirst! So if you feel hungry, drink a glass of water quickly. If you still feel hungry ten minutes later, then eat something! If not, you were just thirsty!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above commenters. I also started drinking Protein Shakes as a mid-day snack because the protein keeps be full.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Protein and fibre help to fill you up, also make sure you have a mid morning snack and a mid afternoon snack, that will help and drink lots of water:)
  • Sam426f
    Sam426f Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always find a can of diet coke helps to fill me up, it's not so good for your teeth though :bigsmile:

Make sure you are eating enough, no point in starving yourself :smile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    soup keeps you feeling 'full' for a long time...try it, pick one with lots of veggies!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    With food.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. Humans can't actually tell the difference between hunger and thirst! So if you feel hungry, drink a glass of water quickly. If you still feel hungry ten minutes later, then eat something! If not, you were just thirsty!

That is what I always do. Many people think they are hungry when in fact they are just thirsty. If i feel really hungry I always drink 8-16 ounces and the majority of the time i dont feel like im hungry anymore.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I always find a can of diet coke helps to fill me up, it's not so good for your teeth though :bigsmile:

Make sure you are eating enough, no point in starving yourself :smile:

I have to say I disagree with this – sugar plays havoc with your blood sugar leading to cravings for more, and artificial sugar like those in diet coke can be worse for that. I'd go for low sugar snacks as much as possible!!

No offence Sam426f :)
  • Ken_Roper
    Ken_Roper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to follow the advice in "The Full Plate Diet" which recommends adding fiber to your diet. Foods with fiber help to fill you up and also take longer to digest. Also, if you eat a food item with fiber and drink water before a meal, it will help you to eat much less than you might otherwise. It is working for me as I've lost over 20 pounds in 6 weeks.

I also find that boredom is my enemy. When bored, food calls out to me. Just filling your time with activities (yard work, cleaning, exercise, etc.) has helped!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    How long have you been here OP?
    How long do the hunger pains last?

I find that sometimes a glass of water is enoug (our bodies mistake thirst for hunger) but if not then I just eat something ( a rice cake and hummus, some fruit of a yoghurt)

I find that once my body had got used to being on 1200 cals (+ exercise cals) per day I only get hunger pains if I am thirsty or if I haven't eaten for a long time!
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem in the beginning too and then I found the solution,,,,,,,Waterrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The only one that helped me and now I never have hunger pain again,,,lots of water......

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ambergirl327
    Options
    Mix up your own trail mix. Nuts are full of protein and dried fruit can curb sweet cravings. I find prepackaged trail mix has lots of stuff that I don't care for so I buy the nuts I like and the dried fruit I like then I usually throw in homemade granola clusters. Put it in a bag and keep it with you. much on it when you feel hungry and don't forget to wash it down with plenty of water!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    6 small meals a day and LOTS of water!!

if you are feeling full, try to drink a large glass of water and wait 15-20 minutes. Many times what we think of as "hunger pains" may actually be a little bit of dehydration...so drink up! :drinker:
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    With food.

Agreed!

(What a concept, hey?) :wink:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    6 small meals a day and LOTS of water!!

if you are feeling full, try to drink a large glass of water and wait 15-20 minutes. Many times what we think of as "hunger pains" may actually be a little bit of dehydration...so drink up! :drinker:

Yes what he said! Dieting should not be about limiting how much food you eat, it should be more about getting rid of the crappy food you eat. If you are doing this you probably won't eat as much, but you will be full.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With food.

Agreed!

(What a concept, hey?) :wink:

Same here. If you're hungry to the point of PAIN, you're either not eating enough, not eating often enough, or not eating right.

Deprivation dieting is a quick way to get frustrated and throw in the towel. It's better to eat a little more every day, lose slower and be able to stay with your eating plan long term than go hungry for a short term then get burnt out.