What is your favorite eggplant recipe?

Options
swimmermama
swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
My darling husband bought three eggplant at the farmer's market this weekend and I can't decide what to make with them! I know I don't want eggplant parm but other than that, I am wide open. Something indian? Stuffed eggplant? Something italian?

What is your favorite healthy, tasty, and hopefully quick eggplant recipe?

Thanks!

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    nothing. Throw them away!

failing that. Moussaka?
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Oh, I love eggplant! :)

I should have explained that we are vegetarian + fish. So, shrimp and fish are okay but no other meat sauce.

Thanks!
  • maryzcontrary
    Options
    Ratatouille! Cut your eggplant into cubes and saute in some olive oil with some zucchini on high till the veggies turn golden - remove and add to the pan some onions, red bell peppers and garlic and cook those over medium till tender. Combine and add some salt and pepper, then add some tomatoes, canned or otherwise, some thyme and some bay leaf and cook until it's all tender, then add some chopped fresh basil before serving...this is also good chilled --- I usually make a fairly big pan and take it for lunch during the week -- I think I will make some today! :happy:
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant too! I would slice one, lightly season it and put a bit of olive oil on it and grill it!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love Eggplant, but I seldom cook. I am always on the Look-Out for new, EASY recipes, though. Thanks for sharing these!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Mushroom stuffed eggplant!

Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the inside. Saute it with mushrooms and put the stuffing back inside the eggplant halves when done. Heat up some cream of mushroom soup (or whatever else you prefer) and drizzle a bit over the stuffing. Top with a dash of Parmesan cheese and bake at 300 degrees for no more than 15-20 minutes. Take out and enjoy (with the rest of the soup if you like!)
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    you can search topics on here but alot of people use it in their lasagna...instead of noodles they use eggplant...i don't have a recipe but i hear its really good.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    lightly fry in olive oil, onion, egg plant, courgette in a large pot
    Add a tin of chopped tomato
    Salt pepper / Herbs
    Add some chicken or veg stock
    Add green beans & mushrooms
    Cook until sauce reduces and beans/mushrooms cooked

Server on a bed of mashed potato and spring onion (Scallion)

Also good with herb dumplings on top but greatly increases calorie ! :happy:

I'm not vegetarian but love this meal

also tastes great reheated the next day, or processed into soup
  • wannchef
    wannchef Posts: 8
    Options
    Grilled with just a spritz of olive oil spray then any Mediterranean spices you like will work. Stay away from the cheese. Grilled Peppers and onions go great with eggplant.
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Cut it in slices (skinned or not, depending on how you feel. I very often feel lazy. :laugh:). Put on cookie sheet lined w/parchment paper or that new aluminum foil that doesn't stick (love that stuff!). Spray very lightly w/oil, & bake at about 400 degrees until brown.

Eat all of it straight fr the pan (yeah, I love eggplant..)

Slice it the long way. Score it. If you don't feel lazy, scoop out some of the insides & set aside. If you're like me, you just omit that part.

Chop up onion, celery, add some chopped walnuts or almonds, a bit of seasoned bread crumbs - or use unseasoned plus some parm cheese. Add any other chopped veggies that sound good to you. Add the scooped out eggplant, if you are doing that.

Bake at about 400 degrees til it is soft, brown looks done.

Yum!
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Yum! I am already getting hungry. I think I will try some stuffed eggplant. Thanks, y'all!

If you have more suggestions for stuffed eggplant, I would love to hear them. I may need to add some protein in there...
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic...I love eggplant but only knew one way to fix it. (sauted) Thanks for sharing!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    You could always throw them on shishkebabs. Peel them, chunk them, and spear them along with some onion, pineapple, bell peppers, and your choice of meat. Slather on the BBQ sauce and grill; serve over rice.

Eggplant is great grilled but it turns a weird gray color after being refrigerated and isn't that great re-heated, IMHO.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    You could always throw them on shishkebabs. Peel them, chunk them, and spear them along with some onion, pineapple, bell peppers, and your choice of meat. Slather on the BBQ sauce and grill; serve over rice.

Eggplant is great grilled but it turns a weird gray color after being refrigerated and isn't that great re-heated, IMHO.

THIS is why I need a grill. Will someone tell my hubby to buy me a grill?? PLEASE? :)
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille! Cut your eggplant into cubes and saute in some olive oil with some zucchini on high till the veggies turn golden - remove and add to the pan some onions, red bell peppers and garlic and cook those over medium till tender. Combine and add some salt and pepper, then add some tomatoes, canned or otherwise, some thyme and some bay leaf and cook until it's all tender, then add some chopped fresh basil before serving...this is also good chilled --- I usually make a fairly big pan and take it for lunch during the week -- I think I will make some today! :happy:
    Oh! That sounds delicious! I am going to make some tomorrow!
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cut it in slices (skinned or not, depending on how you feel. I very often feel lazy. :laugh:). Put on cookie sheet lined w/parchment paper or that new aluminum foil that doesn't stick (love that stuff!). Spray very lightly w/oil, & bake at about 400 degrees until brown.

Eat all of it straight fr the pan (yeah, I love eggplant..)

Slice it the long way. Score it. If you don't feel lazy, scoop out some of the insides & set aside. If you're like me, you just omit that part.

Chop up onion, celery, add some chopped walnuts or almonds, a bit of seasoned bread crumbs - or use unseasoned plus some parm cheese. Add any other chopped veggies that sound good to you. Add the scooped out eggplant, if you are doing that.

Bake at about 400 degrees til it is soft, brown looks done.

Yum!

You must be some kind of cook! And I love to cook myself. This makes my mouth water and I just ate supper. But, of course, that is why I am using this website!!!!
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's the one where I throw it in the compost pile to stew and go back to the kitchen to make something I'll enjoy. Sorry, I just can't stomach eggplant.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm I love eggplant! My old go-to way to serve it was to lightly bread it and pan fry it in olive oil but here are some more healthier options :wink:

Baba Ganoush

Ingredients
    1 Large Eggplant baked then peeled
    1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
    2 Garlic cloves Minced
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 Cup of Tahini
    blend in blender or mix with mortar mint or parsley for garnish olive oil/cayenne pepper to top

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Puncture the eggplant and roast it on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Then place the eggplant in a plastic bag to cool, then you can peel it easier and remove the top, place the pealed eggplant in a bowl. Add the garlic, lemon juice and tahini paste, blend in a blender or with a mortar. Spread nicely in a plate and garnish with parsley or mint and top with olive oil and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or paprika. Serve with olives and pita bread or toasted French bread.

This is one of my favorite recipes. It is so delicious and although it is pasta, the sauce is made entirely of vegetables so it is very healthy! You can use any vegetables you have on hand. I usually just use regular tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes.

Rigatoni with Eggplant Puree

Ingredients
    1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 pint cherry tomatoes
    3 cloves garlic, whole
    1 onion, chopped in quarters
    1 green pepper, roughly chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
    1 pound rigatoni pasta
    1/4 cup torn fresh basil or mint leaves (I always use basil or can omit this part for dried)
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl combine the eggplant, cherry tomatoes, onion, green pepper garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red

pepper flakes. Spread the vegetables out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the vegetables are tender and the eggplant is golden, about 35 minutes.

While the vegetables are roasting, place the pine nuts in a small baking dish. Place in the oven on the rack below the vegetables. Roast until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta into a large bowl and reserve 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.

Transfer the roasted vegetables to a food processor. Add the torn mint leaves and extra-virgin olive oil. Puree the vegetables.

Transfer the pureed vegetables to the bowl with the pasta and add the Parmesan. Stir to combine, adding the pasta cooking liquid 1/2 cup at a time until the pasta is saucy. Sprinkle the pine nuts over the top and serve.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Gina's Skinny Taste Eggplant parm. We also grill it and serve it with a salsa made of feta/olives/red onion/basil/tomato.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    I ended up making stuffed eggplant with zucchini, yellow squash, onion, feta cheese, a little pasta sauce, and lots of spices. It was yummy! Thanks everyone!