Blaming weight on something else...

Options
Might get flamed for this but oh well..

Why do so many people try to blame their weight gain on something else? I mean over half the overweight people I know say it's because of their medication or a condition that they have.

I am in the medical field and I do know that there are some medications & conditions that make it easier for you to pack on a few pounds, but I think people are too quick to put ALL the blame on them. Unhealthy eating habits are usually the largest culprit.

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Some medications IE: predisone are notorious for weight gain.

But for the most part, I agree with you. Watch what goes in your piehole. Nobody forces you to eat crappy food.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    I am on meds for nerve pain and one of the side effect is weight gain but I actually lost weight on it because it made me more active :smile:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I blame my ex husband. He forced me to eat fattening stuff and sit around and get fat(ter). I also blame him for global warming cause he's a huge gas-bag (i'm just kidding, I know it's my fault) it's more convenient to blame OUTSIDE sources than to admit it's something I might have to change about myself. i believe the term is 'cop out'
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I agree to a certain extent. One cannot blame it all on meds and age. However, saying this, I do feel my slower weight loss is based on the aforementioned reasons. I am almost 60, am very active, eat well, but the weight does not just fall off like it used to. I am on prednisone and anti-rejection drugs, as well as some others. No, I'm not blaming it all on this, but it is a contributing factor. This site has really helped me to refocus and the encouragement is amazing.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I had a thyroid disorder diagnosed in 2008 and was on fertility drugs, but that didn't change my weight. It was my bad eating habits. I was also on depo-provera from 2001 thru 2007 and I gained about 15 lbs over that time, but again it was my bad eating habits. I am on depo now and have been since December and I have lost 53lbs so clearly it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. I have to say I totally blamed my thyroid problem and the depo. I didn't want to face that my weight was a result of my lack of self control.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    People LOVE to make excuses on why they are Overweight. They need to realize it takes hard work and clean eaitng to get and keep results
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    piehole.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    We live in a society where we need "someone" else to blame for our problems... some of us "can" point to medical issues that caused weight gain, but who do you point at for the 4-5 years afterwards where you continued to gain???

It breaks my heart that anyone needs an excuse to be heavy, we clearly need to work LESS on pointing a finger (your fat or my pills made me like this) and more on helping people get healthy.

I'm with you - I think it's time to change the focus to something positive instead
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I had a thyroid disorder diagnosed in 2008 and was on fertility drugs, but that didn't change my weight. It was my bad eating habits. I was also on depo-provera from 2001 thru 2007 and I gained about 15 lbs over that time, but again it was my bad eating habits. I am on depo now and have been since December and I have lost 53lbs so clearly it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. I have to say I totally blamed my thyroid problem and the depo. I didn't want to face that my weight was a result of my lack of self control.

LIKE! WTG girl!!!!!!!!!:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I blame my ex husband. He forced me to eat fattening stuff and sit around and get fat(ter). I also blame him for global warming cause he's a huge gas-bag (i'm just kidding, I know it's my fault) it's more convenient to blame OUTSIDE sources than to admit it's something I might have to change about myself. i believe the term is 'cop out'

LOL!!! I so love this!
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    preach on, sister.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It's easier for people to blame something or someone else than to say, "Hey I'm fat because I ate like a pig for the last year, sat on the couch and watched tv all day." It's easier to make it someone else's fault than to say, "I overeat because I feel insecure about myself and feel like I'm not worthy to be around anyone."

Figure out WHY you overeat and get some closure to whatever it is and QUIT BLAMING EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING ELSE!!!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I was on steroids for sports injuries and Depakote ER for other things and both were supposed to make me gain weight. Over a year of taking them and I didn't gain a pound. Throughout my whole life I've been on drugs that were all supposed to pack the pounds on, but nothing happened. Even my sports injuries and surgeries didn't do it. I only put on weight when I started my foodie adventures.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    I am totally to blame for my weight. Unfortunately being on Prednisone for over two months (with at least another 5 months to go) affected me. Mostly because even though I wasn't hungrier, my appetite (the appeal of food) was dramatically increased.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist full out blame my constantly changing thyroid condition for my weight gain. Considering I eat pretty much the exact same now that I did when I was gaining weight. I admit I ate a bit more fattening food that I don't eat as much now. But I don't think that this website is for getting into arguments or for where the blame goes. And I'm honestly sick and tired of reading forums on this website about stuff like this.

Mind your own business if you don't like it.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    People LOVE to make excuses on why they are Overweight. They need to realize it takes hard work and clean eaitng to get and keep results

I agree.

Small changes help out in the long run, too! You don't have to completely flip your life upside down to lose weight. Drink more water, walk a little bit- and each day you'll feel a little better, and sooner or later you'll see results.

It's not hard. Just takes time, commitment and effort.
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think it's human nature to point the finger at something/someone else rather than pointing it at ourselves -- which applies to everything. Also, it makes people feel less guilty if things are "out of their control".

Coming to the realization that my weight, health, and fitness are within my control is what start me on this journey and what motivates me on a daily basis. I think if others realized this it would really help with the mental battle that comes along with losing weight.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is a really good topic to post...and you're right! Too many times we blame anything and everything for our "issues" and forget that person that looks back at us from the mirror. :noway:

I used to do that, but I got wise one day and just changed...the rest is history. :drinker:

Thanks for posting! Have an exceptional day!
    :flowerforyou:
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    “The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” Bob Moawad
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Might get flamed for this but oh well..

Why do so many people try to blame their weight gain on something else? I mean over half the overweight people I know say it's because of their medication or a condition that they have.

I am in the medical field and I do know that there are some medications & conditions that make it easier for you to pack on a few pounds, but I think people are too quick to put ALL the blame on them. Unhealthy eating habits are usually the largest culprit.

I agree. I know there are situations where medical issues ARE the reason, but I feel like it's the crutch people use instead of being accountable for their actions.

I think until you (in general) really start to be brutally honest with yourself, you aren't going to lose the weight that you want.

Myself for example.....I KNOW why I'm not losing weight right now. I'm "off" during the summer (teacher, I put the quotes around off because I coach so I am constantly with players at practice or camp all summer) and struggle with eating the right foods when my schedule is not routine. I'm not preparing my strict foods, which is what I need at this point to lose weight. I know that if I took the time to prepare, I could lose weight right now.