can some one help - running?

Options
can a runner help me please? what does run 11:46/mi and walk 16:20/mi mean? is that better or worse than run 20:13/mi and walk 21:23/mi ???

Replies

• glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's how long it takes you to run the mile. So an 11 minute mile is quicker than a 20 minute mile...
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    so then what does the 46 mean? x
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    can a runner help me please? what does run 11:46/mi and walk 16:20/mi mean? is that better or worse than run 20:13/mi and walk 21:23/mi ???

Your run is 11 minutes and 46 seconds per mile and walk is 16 minutes and 20 seconds per mile. Does that help you? The first numbers you listed are much faster than the second set.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Minutes:Seconds/per mile
  • rgrubba91
    rgrubba91 Posts: 6
    Options
    It probably means 11 min and 46 seconds. But I am not an expert on running so you may not want to quote me on that. But that would be my guess
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    so then what does the 46 mean? x

seconds... 11:46/mile would be a mile in 11 minutes and 46 seconds
  • pjd1973
    pjd1973 Posts: 37
    Options
    it's minute and seconds. So it would be run: 11min/46seconds per mile etc..
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    11 minutes and 46 seconds running. 16 min and 20 seconds walking. This is a guess. I don't know what the mi after those numbers would be though.
  • frazierg8r
    Options
    those are minutes:seconds, so an 11:46mi running is 11 minutes and 46 seconds
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Aww thanks everyone!! I was getting down harted coz I thought I was getting worse lol! So it looks like I want to get that number lower!!! Awesome thank you sooo much xxx
  • mistyokstate
    mistyokstate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    glypta is correct. The number is the time it takes to run or walk a mile. Obviously you can run for different reasons but typically runners would want to run a 10 minute mile over a 12 minute mile as that means we are running faster.
  • vick9180
    Options
    Yeah, if you're not familiar with how stuff like that is listed, it can be confused as a ratio rather than time. As you're in running bubble more, you'll become more and more familiar with running lingo, ie. PR, fartlek, etc.

PR = Personal Record
    fartlek (pronounced fart lick, no joke) = swedish for "speed play" but very similar to interval training, only your downtime is spent jogging instead of walking.

So next time someone asks you what your PR is for a certain distance, you'll know they're talking about.
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options

This is your speed. It is the pace you would have to run to run one mile in 11 minutes and 46 seconds or walk a mile in 16 minutes and 20 seconds. Define better. An 11:46 mile is faster than a 20:13 mile. That doesn't always equal better though.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    Yeah, if you're not familiar with how stuff like that is listed, it can be confused as a ratio rather than time. As you're in running bubble more, you'll become more and more familiar with running lingo, ie. PR, fartlek, etc.

PR = Personal Record
    fartlek (pronounced fart lick, no joke) = swedish for "speed play" but very similar to interval training, only your downtime is spent jogging instead of walking.

So next time someone asks you what your PR is for a certain distance, you'll know they're talking about.

Cool thanks :)

I think I need to run the whole distance (not run then walk then run) b4 I start with PB's hehe!! :)
  • vick9180
    Options

PR = Personal Record

I think I need to run the whole distance (not run then walk then run) b4 I start with PB's hehe!! :)

No problem! I've got a pretty extensive running background, so if you've got more questions, message me and I'm happy to help!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options

PR = Personal Record

No problem! I've got a pretty extensive running background, so if you've got more questions, message me and I'm happy to help!

I've been running for years and will answer any questions you have as well. We can be friends & keep each other up to date. Congrats on running!

BTW - you will set a Personal Record the first time you compete in any race/run at any distance. Then it's all about competing against your previous time. I am always in competition with myself...:laugh: