Fruit

Options
Jeckia
Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
When you guys eat fruit, do you count it in your cal tracker.

I used to do weight watchers and with the new point system fruit doesn count as anything and I wasn't sure if some people were doing the same thing and not counting fruit just because fruit it good for you and I would think it would take away from your cal counter, which you could use to go towards other things such as whole grains ect.

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts. Everything you eat counts
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    Options
    count fruit. it has a lot of cals and sugar albeit natural. i think something u wouldnt have to count is vegetables bc very low cals but u might want to track nutrition wise :)
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count fruit. Calorie counts are different for all fruits.

Fruit Portion Calories
    Starfruit 1/2 cup 16
    Apricot 1/2 cup 17
    Lemon, no peel 1/2 cup 17
    Watermelon 1/2 cup 23
    Strawberries 1/2 cup 26
    Apple 1/2 cup 26
    Papaya 1/2 cup 27
    Cantaloup 1/2 cup 27
    Plums 1/2 cup 30
    Honeydew melon 1/2 cup 30
    Quince 1/2 cup 30
    Blackberries 1/2 cup 31
    Raspberries 1/2 cup 32
    Peach 1/2 cup 33
    Pineapple 1/2 cup 37
    Grapefruit, white 1/2 grapefruit 39
    Apricots, dried 5 halves 42
    Blueberries 1/2 cup 42
    Cherries, sweet 10 cherries 43
    Cherries, sour, canned 1/2 cup 44
    Tangerine 1/2 cup 45
    Kiwi 1/2 cup 46
    Pear 1/2 cup 48
    Pear, asian 1/2 cup 51
    Pomegranate 1/2 cup 52
    Mango 1/2 cup 53
    Peaches, canned, juice 1/2 cup 54
    Grapes 1/2 cup 55
    Fruit cocktail, juice 1/2 cup 55
    Orange 1/2 cup 56
    Apricots, canned, juice 1/2 cup 58
    Nectarine 1/2 cup 60
    Pears, canned, juice 1/2 cup 62
    Banana 1/2 cup 67
    Plums, canned, juice 1/2 cup 73
    Pineapple, canned, juice 1/2 cup 74
    Grapefruit, canned, sweetened 1/2 cup 76
    Mandarin orange, canned, sweetened 1/2 cup 77
    Apple, dried 5 rings 78
    Peach, canned, syrup 1/2 cup 87
    Plantains 1/2 cup 90
    Fruit cocktail, syrup 1/2 cup 91
    Figs, dried 2 figs 95
    Pears, canned, syrup 1/2 cup 98
    Pineapple, canned, syrup 1/2 cup 99
    Apricots, canned, syrup 1/2 cup 107
    Plums, canned, syrup 1/2 cup 115
    Strawberries, frozen, sweetened 1/2 cup 122
    Fruit, frozen, mixed 1/2 cup 123
    Raspberries, frozen, sweetened 1/2 cup 129
    Prunes 1/2 cup 132
    Blueberries, sweetened 1/2 cup 193
    Raisins 1/2 cup 217
    Dates 1/2 cup 25

Portion control is important so becareful!
  • Latoyamary
    Latoyamary Posts: 140
    Options
    Yes, i count fruit... I really don't look at my sugar because it is "suppose" to be good sugar...
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    count everything
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how well the Weight Watchers works if you don't count fruit. Yeah it is good for you but if you eat an apple, a banana and a few slices of pineapple you've consumed 300 calories! How can you lose weight if you're not counting every calorie? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    I am doing the new Weight Watchers too, I log everything in Etools and MFP - I base my diet off of Etools and go with that
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    When you guys eat fruit, do you count it in your cal tracker.

I used to do weight watchers and with the new point system fruit doesn count as anything and I wasn't sure if some people were doing the same thing and not counting fruit just because fruit it good for you and I would think it would take away from your cal counter, which you could use to go towards other things such as whole grains ect.

So fruit has no calories in it?

What eva...dont know why this is a question......
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Yes - I log fruit, but that's because I :smooched: :love: looooooove fruit, so on most days it could be upwards of 100-200 calories off if I didn't log it - particularly if I ate a banana, etc.

I count it because I'm pretty short and my calorie allotment is very paltry - but to each his/her own. :flowerforyou: I think it is a valid question if for some reason WW doesn't count it - it might have to do w/ the natural fruit sugars being preferable to refined white sugar...
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been told the same thing. Also been told that eating fruit with certain foods was not good.

Supposedly it is best to eat fruit alone , as a snack. ???

I found this...thought it was interesting.
    Natural Hygienists have known for a long time that fruit doesn’t combine well with other foods. The reason is that fruit contains simple sugars that require no digestion. Thus, they will not stay for a long time in the stomach. Other foods, such as foods rich in fat, protein and starch, will stay in the stomach for a longer period of time because they require more digestion. So if you eat fruit after a meal, the fruit sugar will stay for too long in the stomach and ferment. This is why people experience digestive trouble when eating fruit that way. They then blame that particular fruit for their trouble and claim that they are “allergic” to it.

Natural Hygienists have been recommending for a long time that fruit be eaten alone with no other foods. They have also recommended eating melons alone and avoiding mixing acid fruits with sweet fruits such as bananas. These are great recommendations, but can be definitely be simplified.

Many people have a difficult time eating a meal of fruit alone. They’ll eat a meal of melon and not so long after they’ll be hungry again, for the simple and obvious reason that melons are not calorie dense. Eating a small cantaloupe (200 calories) is not going to sustain you for very long. But because they have read somewhere that mixing melons with other fruits is not allowed, they’ll try to wait until the next meal to eat something else and then will often in the meantime overeat on dried fruits and nuts to compensate.

The solution to this is very simple: since fruit digests so fast, it is possible to eat fruit before any other food. You can, when you are hungry, eat as much fruit as you care for. One type of fruit only would be ideal. Then wait a little bit, like 5-10 minutes, and have any other food you desire. This can be a salad, a little avocado with tomatoes, some nuts, or anything. It can be cooked food too. If you’ve been trying to follow food-combining rules without success, this new information could be very valuable to you.

The same goes with mixing other fruits together. You can eat all the melon you want, and then, if you are still hungry, eat another type of fruit to satisfy your appetite. It is not necessary to eat melons alone if they are eaten before another foods. You can even have melon and then have an avocado after. The only thing that is important to remember is to have the fruit first - not after, and ideally only have one variety at a time.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how well the Weight Watchers works if you don't count fruit. Yeah it is good for you but if you eat an apple, a banana and a few slices of pineapple you've consumed 300 calories! How can you lose weight if you're not counting every calorie? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

That is the exact reason why i was not pleased with the new WW PointsPlus program. I actually gained!! I was consuming about 350 extra calories in fruit and vegetables (veggies are zero points also). I have an overeating compulsion, so WW was a bit too liberal for me, so I cancelled my membership, and now I'm here!!
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Counting points is totally different than counting calories. You do one or the other.everything you put into your mouth counts.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Welcome here this is free save your money for new clothes!
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It makes sense to me to count anything and everything.. but I have a friend doing the new WW Plus program, and she eats TONS of fruits and veggies, as much as she wants, and is still losing like crazy. According to her, the reason they do that is bc they want to encourage you to eat healthier foods and not feel guilty about splurging on something so good for you. It's working for her.. but, still...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I think that their logic is that all the processed and carb rich foods are very high in points, so it equals out in the end. I am a lifetime WW member (made it 10+ years ago). Personally, I prefer MFP.

And I do count my fruit. I don't log every single thing, like sugarless gum, mustard, ketchup or seasonings/herbs. I'm not going to be fanatical about it.
  • Jeckia
    Jeckia Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your replyes. They are very helpful. :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'll eat fruit by itself as a snack, but it's good with some raw almonds as well (I've read that good fats + fiber aid in stabilizing blood sugar).
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes I count everything I put in my mouth!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I count everything... somethings like some fruits and veggies are supposed to take more calories to digest than they are worth; but, that is just a bonus IMO. I log it all
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    if i swallow it it goes on the diary