How do people burn 1k cals?

Options
I see so much posts burning tremendous amounts of calories in like 60-80 minutes worth of cardio when I only have 400 calories max burned. I simply cannot complete a 60 minute workout without running out of gas. I usually just stop at either the 30 or 40 minute mark. I also read somewhere that its bad to do cardio exercises for more than 30 minutes at a time. Maybe theyre doing it throughout the day and not continuous? What are your thoughts on this?

Also, what can I do to have more energy to power my workout? I eat a balanced breakfast and wait an hour before starting.

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I just worked out for 1 hour and 25 min and only burnt 968 calories. I had the HRM on the whole time. walked for 5, ran for 15, then walked for 5, then ran for 5.... I also threw in 30 minutes of strength training and finished off with 6 min of barefoot running and a 4 min cool down walk...

I tried, I just couldn't hit the 1k workout... lol
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The more you weight, the more calories you'll burn. I have a hell of a time just burning 500 cals. I wouldn't fret, it's all about your net cals at the end of the day, if you're hitting 1200 AT LEAST then you're OK.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am curious too-I would like to get a HRM, but have to rely on estimation for weight lifting, exercise bike. I use the calories burned on my elliptical. That is why I don't eat all my exercise cal. back-just try to eat 1/2 to 3/4.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I only burn that much through hiking- and thats for many hours - and the closest after that from bikram yoga at 800 cals for 90 mins. I wouldnt be envious - most people over-estimate their calorie burn by a LOT. I learned that after wearing the body bugg.
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I only burn that much through hiking- and thats for many hours - and the closest after that from bikram yoga at 800 cals for 90 mins. I wouldnt be envious - most people over-estimate their calorie burn by a LOT. I learned that after wearing the body bugg.
  • Tayla_Grant
    Tayla_Grant Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try "Insanity" it will kick your butt, but well worth the payoff in caloric burn and in the loss of body fat.
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You may need to do some interval training. I know at my local YWCA the instructor has 4 minute blocks that are designed to burn 57 calories minimum for the average woman. The are bursts of 40 seconds exercises then 10 second rests......they mingle kettlebell exercises with planks, or jumproping with mountain climbers or stepping..... it's much harder than just walking or running, but it is a quick burn. It incorporates cardio and strength and multiple muscle groups at a time.

I believe some of the cardio kick type exercise will also give a higher burn than just running alone, and can be way more fun!

Goodl Luck!

Kelly
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've done 1k a few times. The first was straight through and it took me 90 mins on an elliptical. Since I think I've done it 2x more and I spread it out more. The only reason I do the 1k is to jolt my body. My "normal" workouts are between 45-60 mins straight through and I burn between 450-700 cals. It all depends on my speed/inlcine on the treadmill.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I see so much posts burning tremendous amounts of calories in like 60-80 minutes worth of cardio when I only have 400 calories max burned. I simply cannot complete a 60 minute workout without running out of gas. I usually just stop at either the 30 or 40 minute mark. I also read somewhere that its bad to do cardio exercises for more than 30 minutes at a time. Maybe theyre doing it throughout the day and not continuous? What are your thoughts on this?

Also, what can I do to have more energy to power my workout? I eat a balanced breakfast and wait an hour before starting.

caloric burn is largely related to your weight, where you weight under 125, it would take a considerable effort to burn 1000+, either in intensity and/or time.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do endurance sports (long distance running, triathlons, etc.) and oftentimes, the 1k workout out is due to a long run or long bike ride of 2+ hours. Otherwise, lots of my 1k workouts are the cumulation of split workouts. I hit our company gym during my lunch hour and then do another workout at night once I get home. MFP makes the summary look like it was all 1 big workout when it is often a couple of smaller ones.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think some folks log every movement they make as exercise. I know I only log planned exercise. Case in point, we are moving offices and I have been packing and carrying boxes all over the place for hours at a time. I don't log that as exercise. I do log the exercise I do when I got to the gym, though.
  • Kissxx
    Kissxx Posts: 99
    Options
    yeah i did bikram before also when I used to weigh more and I never burned 1000 calories. I dont have a HRM but I use this site: http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I just check my heart rate every 10 minutes and see where I am. I think its somewhat accurate... except I dont know my VO2max.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    By being a lot bigger! I burn about 600 cals an hour running (at level 4.8, so 90% max heart rate), and about 300 an hour doing aerobics (very high intensity) or circuits.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love the HRM. it just gives me more drive to keep going. I almost turned back around and did another jaunt up the street just to hit the 1k today for calories burned in the workout but my legs told me otherwise. lol
    I will get them in later when I go for a walk. The HRM works on strength training too, just beware, that your numbers might drop from what MFP says you burn on the strength training... but wouldn't you rather be more accurate to something tuned into your body, height weight age and heart rate all combined into one? I know I would
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i burn that much on a 60 mile bike ride
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Since you only weigh around 120, it would take you a loooong time to burn 1000 calories. I weigh over 200lbs so burning 1000 cals in about 80 mins on the elliptical or while playing basketball is definitely do-able.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend and I can do the exact same walk or run, and he burns 2.5+ times more calories than me. The more weight you carry, the more effort it takes to move it = higher calorie burn.

But yeah, it kind of chaps my butt when I burn 200 calories, and he has burned over 600 :ohwell:
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM monitor and don't burn much more than 500 calories during a very energectic 60 minute zumba class. It depends on many factors, including your weight.
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    First of all, burning over 1000 calories, usually depends on your effort and your weight...average to small people don't tend to burn over 1000 especially in an hour....but people who are on the heavier side burn more calories in a short amount of time that people who are smaller. As the larger person's weight drops the calories burned will drop as well. As far as you burning out to quickly it can be anything...you may need more protein in your diet, sleep longer, or you made need to just push pass that exhaustion point. Our bodies most of the time will say quitting time, we have to realize it is MIND of body. You have to make your mind tell your body NO and push through it! Once you've done this you will feel so liberated and that 30 minute work out will be a thing of the past. However, I am not knocking 30 minute work outs because they are great for maintenance, but if you are trying to lose weight you really need to do at least an hour a day for 5 days a week minimum. Best of luck to you!
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I burn 300-450 in just 20 minutes of doing one of the Jillian Micheals dvds. And this is what my HRM says. Try more intense cardio workouts. Anyone can jog leisurely on the treadmill or elliptical for 45 mins to an hour. Try HIIT training on one of them. Warm yourself up by jogging at a comfortable pace for 5 minutes then for the next 2 minutes, run as fast as you can, then jog for 2, run for 2. And keep going till you can't go anymore. I bet you'll burn sooo many more calories that way! :)