substitution for pasta?

Options
iuali81
iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
We use whole wheat pasta, but it's still so high in calories. Are there any good ideas for a substitution for the pasta? We love to eat spaghetti, but it's so much!

Replies

• peejie
    peejie Posts: 43
    Options
    I have read in many places that spaghetti squash is a great substitute, but I have not tried it.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash or dreamfields pasta. I love the squash, but it can be a bit pricey, one squash is almost 7.00 at my market.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    We love spaghetti squash but my husband still wants regular pasta too.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I love Carb-Nada Pasta...it still tastes like the real thing but way less calories and carbs then regular pasta. The only down side is that no stores (at least near me) carry it and I have to order it. But I order from netrition.com and it always arrives the day after I order!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    try quinoa instead
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash as well. If you do try it out, be carfeul of how liquidy it is- drain or strain it once you scoop it from the rind. I usually add turkey meatballs, sauce, spinach and brocolli. It definitely hits the spot!
  • bmpal
    bmpal Posts: 36
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is great and I also like spelt pasta or rice pasta. I have also tried tofu shirataki noodles and they will work ok with some things but not others. They have a strange texture. If you want to try them search for a hungry girl recipe for them - she knows best what to do with them!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Cous- Cous and new potatoes

New potaotes go with most things I normally have pasta (and rice!) with such as meatballs, bolognese sauce, curry, kebabs, roast dinner..

200g new potatoes is 140cals, 60g of pasta is over 200cals!!

Cous Cous is about 120 cals for a small serving (but I normally need a serving and a bit!)
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Use ribbons of zucchini instead of pasta noodles.
    See this article for a simple example:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/health/22recipehealth.html
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cous- Cous and new potatoes

New potaotes go with most things I normally have pasta (and rice!) with such as meatballs, bolognese sauce, curry, kebabs, roast dinner..

200g new potatoes is 140cals, 60g of pasta is over 200cals!!

Cous Cous is about 120 cals for a small serving (but I normally need a serving and a bit!)

unless you're buying whole wheat cous cous you're buying the same refined flour composite as regular white pasta.

they make a very nice quinoa pasta that acts very much like regular pasta

I also use millet instead of rice and its so healthy and tasty!

good luck,
    JoJo
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Soba noodles or quinoa!