TWEENERS 11/02

Options
Hello Everyone! So, I think, since I'm on the west coast, all of you guys are online well before I am, so I'm posting the new challenge tonight to make sure you all see it in the morning before I get up.

Okay, Ladies and Gents’

Apparently it’s on me for this week’s challenge, so I had heard some stuff about nuts and I decided to do some research and here’s what I found:

MUFA (MOO-fah) is a term that nutritionists have been using for years. It stands for monounsaturated fatty acid, a type of heart-healthy, disease-fighting, "good" fat found in foods like almonds, peanut butter, olive oil, avocado, even chocolate. MUFAs are an unsaturated fat, and have the exact opposite effect of the unhealthy saturated and trans fats you've heard about in the news. According to research, MUFAs can actually help you lose weight, specifically around your middle.

Numerous studies show that a diet rich in MUFAs is linked to a reduction in LDL cholesterol, the kind that clogs up arteries, and a boost in HDL, the kind that sweeps cholesterol out of the arteries and clears it from the body. They can also lower the risk of heart disease and improve insulin.

A MUFA at every meal, not only guarantees good health but leaves you feeling satisfied, not deprived.

So, here’s this weeks challenge:

MUFAs , keep up with the cardio, the dairy, the greens and the water!!!!

Just incase you're confused here's what I've been doing:

I grab a snack baggie full of mixed nuts in the morning, a couple of hours after lunch, I munch on them. I eat about 1/2 the bag. Then again a couple of hours after lunch.

Now, WATCH YOUR CALORIES, nuts are high in calories.

Replies

• MsNewBooty
    Options
    Hello Everyone! So, I think, since I'm on the west coast, all of you guys are online well before I am, so I'm posting the new challenge tonight to make sure you all see it in the morning before I get up.

Okay, Ladies and Gents’

Apparently it’s on me for this week’s challenge, so I had heard some stuff about nuts and I decided to do some research and here’s what I found:

MUFA (MOO-fah) is a term that nutritionists have been using for years. It stands for monounsaturated fatty acid, a type of heart-healthy, disease-fighting, "good" fat found in foods like almonds, peanut butter, olive oil, avocado, even chocolate. MUFAs are an unsaturated fat, and have the exact opposite effect of the unhealthy saturated and trans fats you've heard about in the news. According to research, MUFAs can actually help you lose weight, specifically around your middle.

Numerous studies show that a diet rich in MUFAs is linked to a reduction in LDL cholesterol, the kind that clogs up arteries, and a boost in HDL, the kind that sweeps cholesterol out of the arteries and clears it from the body. They can also lower the risk of heart disease and improve insulin.

A MUFA at every meal, not only guarantees good health but leaves you feeling satisfied, not deprived.

So, here’s this weeks challenge:

MUFAs , keep up with the cardio, the dairy, the greens and the water!!!!

Just incase you're confused here's what I've been doing:

I grab a snack baggie full of mixed nuts in the morning, a couple of hours after lunch, I munch on them. I eat about 1/2 the bag. Then again a couple of hours after lunch.

Now, WATCH YOUR CALORIES, nuts are high in calories.
  • singcoz528
    Options
    nice challenge! I'll be going to the grocery store today! Gettin me some nutts! ;-P
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    i would love to join. :drinker:
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    I will be going nuts. I just went to the grocery store however, I have to go to town anyways tomorrow so I will pick some up. I love peanut butter so I will do that also. Good luck everyone.
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    I was just talking to my husband about this weeks challenge and he asked if that includes snicker bars. :laugh: That is my husband for you. :noway:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I wish snickers was included - although I have not eaten ANY halloween candy. I went with my family to chinese restaraunt after church-it's a buffet which is like the plague to me now (I know my limits) but they have a you pick we cook--I told the guy no butter he said ok - so what does he do - pours and I mean pours oil on the veggies - so here's what I did - didn't pick the food back up - didn't eat anything only drank a diet pepsi while the family ate and then I fixed a chicken quesadilla out of leftover chicken, fat free cheddar and onions at home. I think it made my husband feel bad but I told him the food's not good enough for me to blow it.

Oh well - nuts, huh??

Are we eating a serving a day or a few with each meal? I was thinking that I'd buy some and divide a serving into 3 - and eat a portion with my 3 meals--I rarely snack. Is that ok? I am concerned about the calories and fat but with some cardio thrown in the mix, it will be ok. Are there any nuts that are better or worse than others??

j_g4ever - Welcome to our challenge!! We're a small group but getting tougher and smarter each week.

So girls - no partners this week right? We've got some people that didn't have them and have dropped off so let's push forward and be healthy as one big group!!

Happy November!
  • MsNewBooty
    Options
    WELCOME j_g4ever!!! Glad to have you.

Chrissyh, it's up to you on how you want to eat your nuts, just as long as you get some.
  • MsNewBooty
    Options
    I wish snickers was included - although I have not eaten ANY halloween candy. I went with my family to chinese restaraunt after church-it's a buffet which is like the plague to me now (I know my limits) but they have a you pick we cook--I told the guy no butter he said ok - so what does he do - pours and I mean pours oil on the veggies - so here's what I did - didn't pick the food back up - didn't eat anything only drank a diet pepsi while the family ate and then I fixed a chicken quesadilla out of leftover chicken, fat free cheddar and onions at home. I think it made my husband feel bad but I told him the food's not good enough for me to blow it.

Oh well - nuts, huh??

Are we eating a serving a day or a few with each meal? I was thinking that I'd buy some and divide a serving into 3 - and eat a portion with my 3 meals--I rarely snack. Is that ok? I am concerned about the calories and fat but with some cardio thrown in the mix, it will be ok. Are there any nuts that are better or worse than others??

j_g4ever - Welcome to our challenge!! We're a small group but getting tougher and smarter each week.

So girls - no partners this week right? We've got some people that didn't have them and have dropped off so let's push forward and be healthy as one big group!!

Happy November!

HA, Snickers is my weekness! No snickers, but trail mix works, as long as there's nuts. It doesn't hurt to get in some fruits too.
  • MsNewBooty
    Options
    JUST REMEMBER, GIRLS, WATCH YOUR CALORIES. NUTS ARE HIGH IN CALORIES, BUT THEY ARE GOOD FOR YOU IN MODERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chyme in here and make a point for you guys about nuts :happy: They are indeed a great source of MUFAs but they are not terribly bio-available without some preparation. Nut butters are good but if you're eating raw nuts, it's best to soak them for a few hours before you're going to eat them. It's also important to chew them VERY well so that your body can actually absorb all the goodness they have to offer!
  • nellienell12
    nellienell12 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is going to be hard because I get carried away with like walnuts and pecans. So I always eat alot of calories so I just stay away. But I'll try.

I think we should be singles this week Chrissy. We don't have any partners left but us I think.

I need to go to the store and figure out something for dinner.

Have a good night everyone!!:drinker:
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    This is going to be hard because I get carried away with like walnuts and pecans. So I always eat alot of calories so I just stay away. But I'll try.

try taking a serving size and put it in a baggie and put the calories amount on the outside of the bag. i do this for my husband. :drinker: good luck.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    WELCOME j_g4ever!!! Glad to have you.

Chrissyh, it's up to you on how you want to eat your nuts, just as long as you get some.

I won't even tell you how my husband said I can get them.....:wink:
  • ladybug2
    Options
    save
  • nellienell12
    nellienell12 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You want to hear something funny? :happy: I went to the store without a list and didn't get the nuts.:laugh: I looked at some, but told my daught I would look at them on the other aisle and totally forgot. I did, however, get greens like apples and pears and yogurt for my dairy.

Funny, huh?

Thanks jg 4ever for the suggestion. I'll definately have to try that. I've also noticed that if I eat them shelled, I don't eat as much because of all the work. Lazy:laugh:
  • ladybug2
    Options
    Hi, I finally figured it out been trying to copy &paste hurray that made my day.:happy:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Really the only nuts I like is Almonds and Hazelnuts - store didn't have the Hazelnuts so I got some almonds - they even had some single serve packets. I'll be travelling this week for work with "catered" lunches so I bought some special K meal bars bananas and single serve almonds to have instead of junk.

I found that if I take a picture of what I am eating then I can log it even a couple days later. (I take it with my phone) worked last weekend so hopefully I can say the same after this week.

This is REALLY going to be a challenging week for me. Not sure if the hotels have work out rooms or not if they don't I guess my cardio is shot for those 4 days.

ladybug - Welcome to our humble little group!

Happy Monday!
  • ladybug2
    Options
    Morning All,I started this morning with smart balance P.B., S.F. jelly &hi-fiber bread and my one cup of coffee later an orange actually the PB sandwich was filling and a no brainer for breakfast.Have a good day going to give my puppy a haircut(trim) he's a Shiz tzu and you have a lot of grooming:happy:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I have a poodle and if no hair cut she gets a Don King do! If you shizu is anything like my wiggle worm, you'll get a work out from the hair cut!

Started my day with Smart start cereal with 1/2 cup skim (DAIRY), 1/2 cup coffee with fat free creamer and a banana

Water next....
  • MsNewBooty
    Options
    GOOD MORNING ALL!!!

I am in the middle of my brekky, having yogurt, of course!

I just wanted to say Hello, I know that I wont be on line until late tonight, so I'll see you all tomorrow, unless I actually get a chance to log in today. Mondays always seem to be extra busy for me these days, and starting tomorrow, so will Tuesdays. My son starts guitar lessons!!