Replies

• beccaboyle
    Options
    i need some cheap meal ideas.
    im totally lost and cant think.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The basis of my cheap meals is to work with a protein/carb combination. Tuna casserole or chicken noodle casserole are both cheap and easy to prepare. I use no yolk egg noodles, low-sodium cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, 2% milk, and usually frozen mixed vegetables to create them. Mix these together til you get the consistency you want, top with crushed crackers or bread crumbs, and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

I portion off 1 cup servings and store them in small tupperware containers and freeze them for work. What I don't store, I eat through the week. A 13x9x2 pan of this kind of thing costs about $6 (chicken) about $4 (tuna)to make, depending on where you buy your ingredients.
    Because of the nature of these meals, I recommend only one to one and a half cup servings, and supplement with frozen or canned vegetables.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Buying in bulk will help. I get these enormous bags of frozen veggies. they are 9.99, for 2kg of mixed veggies. They last my fiance and I for about a month's worht of dinners :laugh: Ditto with buying family packs of meats. I bought a huge pack of chicken legs for about 15$, it made in the neighbourhood of 8 meals for the 2 or us. Try to avoid buying processed/ packaged dinners and foods. They really get pricey! Also I stick with generic brands like President's choice, no name, etc. Their prices are mostly lower and many of them still offer lighter menu options. And of course you should ALWAYS watch for sales :wink: Good luck!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    When I feel like just throwing it together, I keep turkey kabalsa, frozen veggies, whole brown rice and pre cooked chicken or beef strips, low sodium and no msg sauces on hand.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I've been trying a bunch of things to cut our grocery bills...

Coupons! My grocery store has an online coupon sheet every week that I didn't know about... it is an extra discount on things that are already on sale.

Store brands or whatever is on sale are cheaper.

Chicken with the bone in is a lot cheaper than boneless, skinless chicken breast.

So far I have actually managed to run up our grocery bill by buying things we won't eat for a while, but I'm hoping in the long run it will help!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing with Dj on this one... I buy for a family of 6, (all male except for me... ages 15, 14, 11, and 10.... I won't list hubby's:laugh: ) I shop for all of us for 400 a month. Not including the milk. I get that at the gas station, because it's cheaper, and I get every 13th gallon free. I go through each store's ads, and clip the coupons. Luckily, the store I shop at accepts competitors coupons. Then I make my shopping list around what the coupons are, plus the ad for the store I'm shopping at. I add in the few things that we need that aren't on sale, and I'm ready to go. Generally, I save between 30 and 50 each trip with my coupons and ad items. Once, I saved 80!

After I'm home and all unloaded, each morning, I just have to decide what gets pulled out of the freezer to thaw for dinner. It does depend somewhat on who is cooking and what activities the kids have that day... If we're busy, and my husband is cooking, it will be something like the premade stuffed chicken breasts, or the banquet family meal salisbury steak. If it's me, I figure it takes as long to bake that stuff as it does to broil some chicken or chops. Throw a veggie on the side, and there's dinner.

Basically, just buy what's on sale, and plan your meals around that. If you shop around your preplanned meals, you will usually end up paying full price at the store.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have never enter this for calories but im sure its healhy and cheap. I take a package of jones turkey polish sausage sliced $1.50 for 6 ....125 calories each...Head of cabbage sliced >>>>price depending on season..real low in calories....5 or 6 carrots sliced and 1 or 2 cans of already sliced potatoes $00.70 a can. I spray a large nonstick fry pan with what ever spray I have. and simply toss everything together and fry until everthing is done...if you like your potaotes brown start them first. This is cheap, easy , one pan and low in calories and my hubby loves it too. enjoy Jo
  • ladybug2
    Options
    I make chili from soaking dry pinto beans overnite draining in the morning throw in crock pot add no salt tomatoes, water garlic,onion ,seasonings no salt either turkey or real lean beef let it cook all day add more tomatoes or tomatoe sauce when ready to taste can feed a family or made into meals and freeze real cheap if no meat also very healthy:smile:
  • kitty_cat023
    Options
    well, it's not a meal, but its a great snack! and super cheap, easy and tasty...

banana milkshake:

1c. milk
    1 banana (the more ripe the more flavourful)
    4-5 ice cubes
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    splenda or sugar to taste, if necessary

blend it up, but drink it quick! it will separate if left sitting too long...
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Black beans and rice is a staple in our house. BIG bag of rice is 12 bucks and lasts us a month. Dry beans are cheaper but we usually use canned ones (no salt added). Then just mix it up.

Add jamaican jerk seasoning (look for low salt one), salsa, banana peppers, corn, veggies. Mix it up to keep it ineteresting. Sometimes we use curry to add a punch.

You can make a nice bean and rice soup too. Toss in some veggies and meat if you want.

With beans and rice and some spices you can make your own veggie burgers at home. We like making our own because there are a lot of additives and junk in the commercially available ones.

Another thing I make is sloppy bean joes. Cook beans and rice then toss in some bbq sauce and chili powder- then plop that on a bun/tortilla. Voila- sloppy bean joes.