Repeated yoyoing -- Need diet buddy?

Options
Every time I lose weight and start feeling "thin," I think that I'm free to eat whatever I want. Then I gain and return to a point of feeling "fat," and I start counting calories again, until I feel "thin" and the cycle repeats. How do I get off this roller coaster of weight gain and loss? I'm only talking about 5 or 10 pounds, but I'm getting tired of the up and down ride and repeatedly having to start over. Watching what I eat is losing it's novelty. I've been doing it for over two years and I'm feeling ready to give up. I keep trying new programs and new websites in order to motivate myself and make it fun again, but I'm running out of plans to try, and I'm just plain getting tired of being so focused on food. Whether I'm "dieting" or not, it seems like food is all I think about -- either eating it or not eating it.

I'm wondering, if I had a diet buddy to whom I could be accountable -- someone who could talk me through the urge to pig out (and I could do the same for her) -- would that help? Has anyone else tried buddying?

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Every time I lose weight and start feeling "thin," I think that I'm free to eat whatever I want. Then I gain and return to a point of feeling "fat," and I start counting calories again, until I feel "thin" and the cycle repeats. How do I get off this roller coaster of weight gain and loss? I'm only talking about 5 or 10 pounds, but I'm getting tired of the up and down ride and repeatedly having to start over. Watching what I eat is losing it's novelty. I've been doing it for over two years and I'm feeling ready to give up. I keep trying new programs and new websites in order to motivate myself and make it fun again, but I'm running out of plans to try, and I'm just plain getting tired of being so focused on food. Whether I'm "dieting" or not, it seems like food is all I think about -- either eating it or not eating it.

I'm wondering, if I had a diet buddy to whom I could be accountable -- someone who could talk me through the urge to pig out (and I could do the same for her) -- would that help? Has anyone else tried buddying?
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It has it's ups and downs for a diet buddy.

If you are serious about loosing weight and keeping it off, your buddy needs to be close.....

They can be there for you on scheduled meetings like weight watchers does, scheduling your breaks and work outs together too.

It's more then just a phone conversation....

Example:

I have a great friend I tt once a week.

She is 40 lbs heavier then me.

We decided to do this together and for the first month it was great. I was loosing but she started gaining.

The phone conversations and e-mail talks got to be so depressing.

I was uplifted and she was down all the time.

Hubby won't help out with kids.
    Kids won't eat what she's cooking.
    Hubby won't support her mentally.
    Kids always had on the go meals for their after school activities. Like take out! So she ate it too.

I just couldn't handle it.

But as for you, I can be uplifting by saying, do this for you, stick with this site....
  • kenkraft
    kenkraft Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Diets tend not to work, but lifestyle changes do. My suggestion is to decide that eating healthy ALL OF THE TIME is something you are doing for LIFE, not for this month!! I am very proud of the fact that I always eat healthy. Everyone at work teases but they're just all jealous of my discipline. But it doesn't take as much mental will-power if you treat it as a lifestyle. Then it becomes who you are. I know a lot of people who diet to lose some pounds so they can eat what they want. I don't know why they torture themselves like that. They talk themselves into thinking they're so happy when they're eating ice cream and cheeseburgers, then they step on the scale 3 weeks later and go into depression again because they feel they're standing at the bottom of this big mountain and they have to climb it all over again. This is a lifelong journey, it's not something you can do, then put on the shelf as if you're finished. Treat your body as if you can't get another one (imagine that). Would you want to abuse it? Would you want to cut short the years it can give you? Of course not. It takes discipline and a lot of it but after a while you become proud of what you've accomplished.

Be determined that THIS IS YOUR LIFE!! You are a healthy, strong and viable being. Stronger than anyone around you, which is why you always make good decisions about health, exercise and eating healthy (notice I didn't say diet). The added benefit is that if you didn't lose that pound this week, it's ok, because you're doing this for life! I believe this is so much more mental than physical. It's like quiting smoking - once you get the mental part licked you've done it!

You're doing fine! Don't beat yourself up and don't get discouraged. A lot of people would love to have only 10 pounds to lose, so you're way ahead of most.

In the end you'll thank yourself and we'll all be very proud of you (we already are just for being on this site). Oh, yeah, and your grandchildren will thank you too because you'll still be able to play with them and tell them stories!!!