Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I've been doing this for 3 weeks and I haven't seen any results :(
Last time (6 months ago) I was losing 1 lb a week, doing the same: Exercising at least 45 minutes. Drinking tons of water. Eating 1200 net calories (but not watching my sugar :P). But stopped using MFP and gained all the weight back.
But this time I keep losing and gaining the same lb!!! What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• missholloway
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think that 1200 calories is enough. I lost 8lbs on WW and switched to MFP mainly because of price and ease of counting calories rather than calculating points. I have steadily gained about a half pound per week, despite the fact that I work out 4 times a week, burning upwards of 400 calories with each workout.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same exercises as before? If so your body has probably become use to it and you should change it up.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I with Miss H. You're not eating enough. Need to up your calories. Check out some of the threads on the message boards about it.
  • RCMILLER2
    RCMILLER2 Posts: 38
    Options
    I eat some of my calories back from exercise but not all of them and it seems to work for me, that is when I actually log my food and exercise. :smile:
  • Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should bump up your caloric intake for a few days and then bring it back down and continue to workout. That will reset your metabolism. 1200 is the bare minimum...so maybe a spike in calories will help you over the plateau! :-)
  • slwwolfe
    slwwolfe Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Josette31 about the type of exercises you are doing. Also are you eating your exercise calories? If you are stop and see how that works out. I did MFP two years ago and lost 35 pounds and kept it off for over a year and 1/2, until I herniated two disks in my lower back, so it does work. I consumed 1200 calories and was working out at high intensity 5 times a week along with weights.
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Well the thing is I'm short: 5'0'' so I think 1200 is enough for me.

And I'm doing spinning like the last time but also doing the 30DS. Maybe my body got used to the spinning but the 30DS it's totally different.
  • zookeeperjess
    Options
    I just switched to MFP last week and was shocked that it only allows me 1200 calories. I am also on Sparkspeople and it allows me 1500 a day. So I went with MFP and kept my calories at 1200 even when I logged exercise which I ran 2 miles a day 4 days out of the week. When I weighed in, I was the same weight as the week before. I've been on Sparkspeople for 12 weeks and lost a pound a week but lowering my calories from 1500 to 1200 when I switched stopped my weight loss. So now I am eating roughly 1400-1500 a day and burning at least 300 calories 4 days out of the week and losing weight again. You just need to eat more calories!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Zookeeper has got it. With that much exercise you have to eat more!

Body needs fuel to burn!

Good Luck!
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to try and eat more calories for a few days and see if it helps! Thank you for your advice guys. :)
  • missholloway
    Options
    Your height doesn't matter because it's about activity level and properly fueling your body. As zookeeper says, she was doing great on 1500 and didn't lose when she dropped to 1200. The same happened to me. 1200 is the absolute bare minimum your body needs to keep functioning, and many people suggest 1500 as the lowest you should go when trying to lose weight, especially when you're active. Your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto to all the food it can.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Well the thing is I'm short: 5'0'' so I think 1200 is enough for me.

And I'm doing spinning like the last time but also doing the 30DS. Maybe my body got used to the spinning but the 30DS it's totally different.

This is pure guess because not much information is provided but... (1) Maybe you're not logging as accurately as you could be? or (2) Try adding in some additional cardio and dont eat back all the calories, some of them but not all. (3) I'd say to add strength training to your regimen if you have not already done so. It will help burn more calories at rest.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    She said 1200 NET to everyone saying to eat more. I'd try mixing up the activity. If your cardiovascular endurance is already somewhat good, then it will take a bit more for you to burn the same amount of calories from my understanding.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 3 weeks and I haven't seen any results :(
    Last time (6 months ago) I was losing 1 lb a week, doing the same: Exercising at least 45 minutes. Drinking tons of water. Eating 1200 net calories (but not watching my sugar :P). But stopped using MFP and gained all the weight back.
    But this time I keep losing and gaining the same lb!!! What am I doing wrong?

1200 net calories is about right for weight loss and I'm assuming that's what MFP alots you. Are you sure of your food calories and calories burned? The MFP database is often incorrect on both, or if you are "eyeballing" your amounts maybe try measuring for a while to see if your eyeballs are correct. You could get a heart montior to get a more accurate reading of exercise calories, or try just eating back 3/4 of them to have a cushion if the database is incorrect. Also, if you aren't doing any cardio try adding some as it will burn a lot of calories.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    This may apply to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing

fantastic advice, do check it out.

because you are no longer a new exerciser, your body has more lean muscle mass than it used to. That lean muscle mass demands to be fueled, or you WILL gain.

1200 net is not enough for me to lose weight; my net is 1530.

blessings.
  • bmpal
    bmpal Posts: 36
    Options
    Upping your calorie intake is a good thing to try. Make sure to give it more than a few days though. Give it at least 2 weeks. The body sometimes need a little time to adjust.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I just switched to MFP last week and was shocked that it only allows me 1200 calories. I am also on Sparkspeople and it allows me 1500 a day. So I went with MFP and kept my calories at 1200 even when I logged exercise which I ran 2 miles a day 4 days out of the week. When I weighed in, I was the same weight as the week before. I've been on Sparkspeople for 12 weeks and lost a pound a week but lowering my calories from 1500 to 1200 when I switched stopped my weight loss. So now I am eating roughly 1400-1500 a day and burning at least 300 calories 4 days out of the week and losing weight again. You just need to eat more calories!

Perhaps you put in that you wanted to lose 2 lbs/week (really this is only for very large people)? If so, it will automatically drop to 1200 for most women, but ironically, unless you are very big and/or just beginning to exercise, so few calories will probably hinder your weight loss. Try putting your weight loss goal at 1 lb./week.

blessings.