injured toe and working out

Options
iuali81
iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
My husband and I play in a co-ed recreational softball league. On Sunday, some jerk slid into home and messed up my big toe nail. It's paritally seperated from the nail bed, but I don't think it's going to come off. It was painful on Sunday, but seems to be getting better each day. It's still painful to put my full weight on it and painful to put a sock and shoe on.
I didn't work out last night b/c I didn't want to make it worse. I'm tempted to give it a try tonight, but just watch my intensity. We do the 30DS, so I thought I might just try the lower impact version. Does this sound like a good idea, or am I better off staying off of it all together until it's pain free? I'm still watching my calories, but I don't want to get too far behind in my excercise. At the same time, I don't want to injure it further, making it harder to get back to working out later on.

Thanks!!

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid you're going to injure it more, I'd stay away from it and err on the side of caution. Do you have a bike you could ride? Since you pedal with your heel, not your toes, that should be a more comfortable alternative :) You could always lift weights, if that's part of your workout plan.
  • rpearce519
    rpearce519 Posts: 72
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing, I injured my knee slightly and I'm going to get out the bike tomorrow so I can let it heal before I get back out running!
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on my big toe nail last Monday and I have not exercised either. I am too scared to make it hurt worse than it already does. I am not going to risk it until there is no more pain. Hope your toe feels better soon!
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Modification is key!!!! I have a broken toe - I still do martial arts, I'm doing P90X, and I go cycling. I just started going on long walks and jogging again. Since your injury is recent, I would recommend cycling and activities that don't involve you putting too much pressure on it. Balance ball exercises, ab work, upper body work, bike riding, etc. When it comes to exercise, there's so much you can do!! Don't let minor injuries deter you.