Ground turkey...some new ideas plz

Options

Replies

• osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Turkey pita burgers with red onion, feta and tzaziki sauce!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    anything you can do with ground beef you can do with ground turkey, its just the healthier option.. but my mom just cooks it with seasoning any kind you like and we put over shredded lettuce and eat that for lunch.. its really good and isnt heavy which is why its good for lunch cause you dont feel tired after..

Very true, I try to use ground turkey in place of beef when I can. I just wanted to get some more creative ideas instead of the rut I've been stuck in!!! You guys are doing great, I don't know what to try first!!!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I made these Sesame-Soy meatballs and they were phenomenal :

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sesame-soy-meatballs-50400000107425/

I made a pot of basmati rice and steamed broccoli, and some sesame sauce cooked up on the stovetop (think sesame oil, soy sauce, some cornstarch, etc, you can find a recipe online. I forget what I used).
  • MDanielson24
    MDanielson24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers. I add shredded zucchini and mashed up black beans to mine with red pepper, garlic and onion. Cook in a skillet approximately 5 minutes on each side. Very yummy. I put them on bread thins with laughing cow spreadable cheese.
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    oh my lord...Cauliflower Rice ? I cant wait to try it
  • ratkins811
    ratkins811 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    oh my lord...Cauliflower Rice ? I cant wait to try it
    [/quote

same here.... I had to cut-n-paste that one :smile:
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Stuffedd bell peppers - I prefer the yellow and orange. Cut off the tops of the bells and dice them along with fresh mushrooms, an onion, garlic. Saute the turkey and all of the diced veggies until the turkey is pretty much cooked. Stuff each bell pepper with the mixture and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the bell pepper is to your liking. Make sure to spray the cookie sheet under the peppers or the bottoms will burn. I'll sometimes add breadcrumbs to the mixture if I have extra calories that day - really helps soak up all the extra juice and is super yummy! :)
  • karalynnroll
    karalynnroll Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili

Brown turkey with diced onions and green peppers.

Drain turkey.

Add 1 big can of tomato juice and 2 small cans of light kidney beans

Add chili powder and garlic powder to taste.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have copy & pasted these from my blog- they are yummy!!

Indian Keema Mattar (Spicy minced (Ground) turkey with peas)

This tastes best with whole roasted spices ground in a pestle & mortar/ food processor. Failing that, use the ready ground powdered variety.

This is really quick but packed with flavour.

Serve this with some bread- I reccomend a mini naan bread (I have included the calorie count of 1 mini naan per person) but can also be served with pitta, chappati or other ethnic flatbreads. Also, serve with a fresh indian style salad, made with sliced tomatoes, red onions and fresh coriander (Cilantro)

220 calories per person- including mini naan bread

Ingredients:

1 pack lean minced (ground) Turkey- about 500g
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger root, finely chopped.
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    2 tsp garam masala- or curry powder
    1 hot chilli pepper, chopped
    1 tin of garden peas
    4 mini naan breads
    2 beef or lamb stock (boullion)cubes, dissolved in water.
    1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (Cilantro)

Method:

Brown the meat in a non stick pan withthe onion, garlic, ginger & chilli. Add the stock and stir, add the turmeric, garam masala & peas. Simmer for about 10 mins until most of the liquid has dissolved. Serve hot with the naan bread & salad

AND

Greek Meatball Stew.

I love Greek flavours, the subtle spicing and herbs. I have made these Greek meatballs and tomato sauce before using lamb but they work very well with lean turkey mince (ground turkey).

As Turkey has a tendancy to fall apart- these meatballs are baked in the oven in a dish with the sauce added halfway through.

Serves 4: 265 cals per portion.

Ingredients- for the meatballs

500g (17.6 oz) Lean turkey mince (Ground Turkey)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp Garlic Salt
    1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
    2 tsp oregano (Fresh, if you can get it- otherwise dried is fine).
    1 tsp mint (Ditto above)
    2 tsp grated lemon zest

Ingredients- For the Sauce

-1 large Jar tomato Passata, or 2 x cans chopped tomatoes (add extra cals if using these)
    -2 cloves garlic, crushed
    -1 tsp white sugar
    -1 tbsp dried mixed herbs/ oregano
    -Handful fresh flat leaf parsley (optional)
    -1 large red onion, cut into wedges
    -1 aubergine (Eggplant) cut into small wedges
    -2 x Courgettes (Zucchini) Cut into small wedges
    -80mls (1/3 cup) of red wine
    -60g (4 tbsp) Crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
    - 30 pitted black olives
    - 2 tbsp lemon juice.

Method:

Step 1- In a large bowl, mix the turkey, garlic powder, cinnamon, lemon zest, mint, oregano, S&P & egg together. Chill mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm.

Step 2: Heat the oven to 220 degrees celcius/ 425 degrees Farenheit. Meanwhile, shape the turkey mixture into meatballs- medium sized. Put the meatballs in a non stick, ovenproof casserole dish. Add the onion wedges, aubergine wedges (eggplant) and courgette wedges (Zucchini) in and around the meatballs & spray with 1 cal spray oil. Turn the oven down slightly and bake for 10 minutes.

Step 3: Meanwhile, in a separate pan on top of the stove, sautee the garlic & add the passata/tomatoes & warm through. Season with S&P, the sugar, the herbs & lemon juice. Add the red wine and stir through.

Step 4: Pour the tomato sauce over the meatballs & veggies. Continue baking for a further 15 minutes.

Step 5: Sprinkle the top with the olives, parsley & Feta cheese.

Serve with toasted wholemeal pitta & green salad (Not included in calorie count)

Optional- Add chilli flakes/ cayenne pepper to the meatball mixture and/or sauce for a kick!
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Greek Turkey Burgers

You can eat them on a bun or flat bread. I mixed greek yogurt with salt and pepper as a sauce on top.

1.25 lb ground turkey breast
    1/2 cup feduced fat Crumbled Feta
    1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg white
    1 chopped jalapeno
    3 Tbs chopped banana peppers
    9 chopped Kalamata Olives
    Salt and Pepper

Form into 5 patties and cook a few minutes on each side on Med High heat.

THESE ARE DELICIOUS!
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We are having this tonight....Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients
    • 1 pound ground beef (I'm using turkey burger)
    • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium beef broth or beef bouillion cube
    • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    • 1/2 small onion, chopped
    • 1 cup instant white rice
    • 2 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage
    • 1 1/2 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail or small can tomato sauce
    Directions
    1. Crumble the ground beef into a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, an d season with garlic powder and pepper; cook and stir until the beef is evenly browned. Drain off the excess grease.
    2. Pour the beef broth and onion soup mix into the skillet with the beef, and stir to blend. Bring to a boil, then add the rice, cabbage and vegetable juice cocktail. Stir together, then cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Two of our favorites:

Turkey & Green Bean Stir Fry

Brown turkey with Asian spices (garlic, ginger, etc.), mix in soy sauce or braggs to taste. Once the meat is browned and seasoned, throw in about 1 lb. of fresh green beans, and cook til just done. Serve over rice.

"Swedish" Meatballs

This is so not anywhere near authentic and it actually more resembles stroganoff, but that's what the boys call it.

Form turkey into meatballs and cook until done. Mix one envelope of brown gravy mix with one cup of water, stir into meatballs. When the gravy has thickened, stir in 1/4 cup of sour cream. Serve over egg noodles.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My Filipino friend cooks it all crumbled up (with whatever seasoning you like) and then adds craisins and sundried tomatoes.......................seriously, you could eat this right out of the pan...it is that good. you can put it on low cal bread or those 100 calorie bagel thins.....Mmmmmmm, I might just have to go make some:bigsmile:
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We are having this tonight....Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients
    • 1 pound ground beef (I'm using turkey burger)
    • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium beef broth or beef bouillion cube
    • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    • 1/2 small onion, chopped
    • 1 cup instant white rice
    • 2 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage
    • 1 1/2 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail or small can tomato sauce
    Directions
    1. Crumble the ground beef into a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, an d season with garlic powder and pepper; cook and stir until the beef is evenly browned. Drain off the excess grease.
    2. Pour the beef broth and onion soup mix into the skillet with the beef, and stir to blend. Bring to a boil, then add the rice, cabbage and vegetable juice cocktail. Stir together, then cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.

This sounds so good & easy. I am going to make this very soon. I think I have all the ingredients. Thanks for the idea!!
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    *drool* You people are awesome. I have no idea what to do first
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Greek Turkey Burgers

You can eat them on a bun or flat bread. I mixed greek yogurt with salt and pepper as a sauce on top.

1.25 lb ground turkey breast
    1/2 cup feduced fat Crumbled Feta
    1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg white
    1 chopped jalapeno
    3 Tbs chopped banana peppers
    9 chopped Kalamata Olives
    Salt and Pepper

Form into 5 patties and cook a few minutes on each side on Med High heat.

THESE ARE DELICIOUS!

I have Gorgonzola at home, wonder if that would be too strong of a flavor vs the Feta?
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    mix them with a chopped up onion, some cumin and chili powder....grill up like a hamburger (but a little smaller). put inside a pita with some lettuce, cheese, and salsa or taco sauce....
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    H a ha i was going to say meat balls too!!!

Simple meatballs in red sauce

add one packet of onion soup to the meat, roll into balls add any spaghetti sauce over top in a med baking dish add garlic if you want, bake. Make a side of broccoli... then serve over cauliflower rice.

I plate the rice first then the broccoli add the meatballs 2-3 and add sauce on top. I haven't made this in a while so I cant tell you calorie counts but I can tell you it is awesome :love:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Google it
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Stuffed peppers??? - NOM.