Calculating Calorie Intake, BMR, and Macronutrients

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    This is really good - I didn't totally understand how to calculate my macros though. Its different for ladies?
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thank you!!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Bump

And thank you!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    This is really good - I didn't totally understand how to calculate my macros though. Its different for ladies?

Calculating macros isn't different for women, however determining your BMR is, and calorie intake can be based on that.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    great thread. about time someone posted this :)
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Using your "rule of thumb" guidelines, I come to:
    25% Carbs
    40% Protein (almost middle of range)
    35% Fat (minimum)

Does this seem okay?
    Does any of this effect my ability to gain muscle or is that the sole property of my gym time?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Using your "rule of thumb" guidelines, I come to:
    25% Carbs
    40% Protein (almost middle of range)
    35% Fat (minimum)

Does this seem okay?
    Does any of this effect my ability to gain muscle or is that the sole property of my gym time?

If it's easier to base it on percentages then go for it. I don't. I go with just grams.

A few questions: (private msg me if you want to)

1. How tall are you?
    2. Age?
    3. How much do you weigh?
    4. Tell me what your BMR is.

I'll come up with a macro plan and see what we got.
  • joejccva71
    Options

Thanks.

I like your "IF + IIFYM = :)" sig. hehe

I do the same although I incorporate carb cycling with the intermittent fasting while doing IIFYM.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Read your other post and agree with all of it. It's a shame such mis-information is out there. I'm not terribly familiar with the idea of macros but this is helpful. I worry that I don't eat enough whole grains due to gluten intollerance. Also Hypothryoid, so always try to eat lots of protien. I plan to review again later and see if I can figure out what I should be eating.

Personally, I make up part of my fiber with psyllium. And the calorie difference from not eating as many carbs, I make up with unsaturated fat mostly mono unsaturated as best I can tell. No real research on that, it is just what makes me feel better. Making it up in protein just doesn't make me feel as good.

I have been taking inulin with breakfast for quite a while. I added psyllium to every meal about a month ago . I take 3-4 of the Earth Fare brand with each meal. With all that, I'm averabing about 20-25 grams a day. I wish it were higher. Many days I have no grains at all, so it is difficult. I do get a good bit of unsaturated fats. We use a lot of olive oil, avacado, etc. I eat at least 6 fruits & veggies a day and most days more. I'm trying to add more beans for more fiber and protien, but have not really figured a healthful way of adding a serving each day. Maybe I'll start making my own humus. That might be a good way to get more beans daily.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Read your other post and agree with all of it. It's a shame such mis-information is out there. I'm not terribly familiar with the idea of macros but this is helpful. I worry that I don't eat enough whole grains due to gluten intollerance. Also Hypothryoid, so always try to eat lots of protien. I plan to review again later and see if I can figure out what I should be eating.

Personally, I make up part of my fiber with psyllium. And the calorie difference from not eating as many carbs, I make up with unsaturated fat mostly mono unsaturated as best I can tell. No real research on that, it is just what makes me feel better. Making it up in protein just doesn't make me feel as good.

I have been taking inulin with breakfast for quite a while. I added psyllium to every meal about a month ago . I take 3-4 of the Earth Fare brand with each meal. With all that, I'm averabing about 20-25 grams a day. I wish it were higher. Many days I have no grains at all, so it is difficult. I do get a good bit of unsaturated fats. We use a lot of olive oil, avacado, etc. I eat at least 6 fruits & veggies a day and most days more. I'm trying to add more beans for more fiber and protien, but have not really figured a healthful way of adding a serving each day. Maybe I'll start making my own humus. That might be a good way to get more beans daily.

Well, I like to eat an apple a day. That is 5 grams of fiber, and/or strawberries which is a pretty good source of fiber (you can eat a half pound of strawberries for under 80 calories so it is my go to decadence food). I am not familiar with your psyllium product because I use the capsules since I am worried about possible respiratory reactions, I take 3 grams per meal which equals 6 capsules at a time.

Japanese persimmons have alot of fiber, but I have a negative reaction to them.

You might try going to nutritiondata.com there you can search for foods highest in with lowest in and in a particular group (which is how I found the persimmons.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Thanks.

I like your "IF + IIFYM = :)" sig. hehe

I do the same although I incorporate carb cycling with the intermittent fasting while doing IIFYM.

What is IF + IIFYM ??
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Thanks this is helpful :smile:
  • joejccva71
    Options
    What is IF + IIFYM ??

IF = Intermittent Fasting
    IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros

Intermittent Fasting is "normally" fasting for a straight 16 hour period out of 24 hours, and then having an 8 hour feed window in which you still hit your macros/calorie intake, etc. based on your goals. It's extremely effective.

If It Fits Your Macros means that it does not matter what foods you eat as long as it fits within your daily macro's to complete your calorie intake for the day based on your goals.

For example: I eat a decent lunch and mid afternoon snack and hit my minimum protein macro and my minimum fat macro, and let's say I have 800 calories left for the day. If I go have a slice of pepperoni pizza thats 800 calories, or a bacon double cheeseburger thats 800 calories then it's fine.

In a nutshell: The type of food does not matter one bit when it comes to weight loss.

Like I said in one of my threads:

40g of protein, 20g of fat, and 80g of carbs in a slice of pepperoni pizza

IS THE SAME AS...

40g of protein, 20g of fat, and 80g of carbs in a 6oz chicken breast, 1 cup of veggies, and 2 cups of brown rice

To add: Alot of bodybuilders and athletes will use this IIFYM method to eat foods they enjoy. They still eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and take their fish oil and a GOOD multivitamin for general health.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Me too :smile: Works well IMO.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    bump
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yes thanks, that's a lot of info and it's going to take awhile for me to 'learn' that. are you a nutritionist?
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    What is IF + IIFYM ??

IF = Intermittent Fasting
    IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros

Intermittent Fasting is "normally" fasting for a straight 16 hour period out of 24 hours, and then having an 8 hour feed window in which you still hit your macros/calorie intake, etc. based on your goals. It's extremely effective.

If It Fits Your Macros means that it does not matter what foods you eat as long as it fits within your daily macro's to complete your calorie intake for the day based on your goals.

For example: I eat a decent lunch and mid afternoon snack and hit my minimum protein macro and my minimum fat macro, and let's say I have 800 calories left for the day. If I go have a slice of pepperoni pizza thats 800 calories, or a bacon double cheeseburger thats 800 calories then it's fine.

In a nutshell: The type of food does not matter one bit when it comes to weight loss.

Like I said in one of my threads:

40g of protein, 20g of fat, and 80g of carbs in a slice of pepperoni pizza

IS THE SAME AS...

40g of protein, 20g of fat, and 80g of carbs in a 6oz chicken breast, 1 cup of veggies, and 2 cups of brown rice

To add: Alot of bodybuilders and athletes will use this IIFYM method to eat foods they enjoy. They still eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and take their fish oil and a GOOD multivitamin for general health.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I endorse this thread. Haha seriously, awesome! Very organized and accurate!