HRM???

Options
Ok this is probably going to sound stupid, but I see everyone talking about them, and I was just wondering what the benefit of them is, and if anyone has suggestions of some good ones that are not god awful expensive. I'm newer to the working out scene, but I would like to get a more accurate count of how many calories I am buring.

Thanks in advance for the all the support and help!!! Have a great one everyone

Replies

• r0gu3
    r0gu3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    oops
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The benefit of a HRM is that you have accurate information about how many calories you are burning based on gender, height, weight, fitness and how your heart has worked during exercise recorded. Polar and Garmin are great. I've tried others and they didn't last very long. The link below is an older Polar but a great one. In my mind it's the best deal you'll find for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Bronze/dp/B001U0OFD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311096605&sr=8-1
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your budget is, but I purchased a Polar FT4 for about $60 and LOVE it... very accurate!! I think yeabby already posted the link to it on Amazon.

Article about good choices under $100:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors/budget-heart-rate-monitors
  • sambustem
    sambustem Posts: 83
    Options
    I think they are worth it! I was seriously OVER estimating the number of calories burned and since I've had it - (and been on here) - I've FINALLY started losing weight!!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Since I bought my HRM, I've been more dedicated to working out and actually USING it, since I did spend 74 bucks on it! It keeps me from 'wasting my money', ya know? Maybe it's just because I'm a penny pincher, but before I was always flakey on my workouts, only going when I ate bad, or haven't gone in weeks. Having one definitely keeps me on my toes. I work out so much now. :)
    Plus, you get an accurate account of what you're burning off! MFP's database sometimes tends to over or under compensate on certain activities, I've notice.