Runners please read this post and reply

Options

Replies

• sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    Also this attitude kind of reminds me of the belief that women can't compete in sports or shouldn't be active at ALL because it will make them infertile... Completely baseless and misguided.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think that's BS.

But even so, if running, or anything else that feels good AND is good for your body and soul, makes you wrinkly or droopy, so what?! Living a long and healthy life and feeling good is more important to me than my face, personally.

If I was so worried about wrinkles, I'd stay fat - the fat smoothes out skin and when you lose it you can look more wrinkled/saggy.

But I'd rather be 90 (and look it) and (literally) running circles around the smooth-faced 70 year olds in their walkers who were more worried about their appearance...:laugh:

Looking mahvelous is great, but feeling mahvelous is priceless!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I think your friend is jealous that you are trying to do something good for yourself (not to be mean). Maybe she feels left out because she can't/won't do what you are doing? I've never heard of the wrinkle comment although if you are really worried do a little of your own research to prove her wrong. Now you might have more skin damage than a person who spends all day inside because the sun ages your skin. But there are products out there to help prevent this such as sweatproof sunblock. Also, running is bad for your knees, but really it's not noticeable for someone who only runs 45 min vs someone who does hours every day. Invest in a pair of good running shoes and swtich up your terrian (gravel, pavement) periodically to help with pains. Keep on doing what your doing knowing that in the long run, you will be a much more healthy person than someone who doesn't exercise and eat right. Good luck and friend me if you want :smile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    don't make me quote myself:

Running is terrible for you! It will make your uterus fall out and your knees explode into fiery balls of light. Avoid running at all costs. You've been warned...
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Apparently that's a newish rumor that's floating around - one American plastic surgeon claimed that jogging is the third leading cause of premature aging, after tanning and cigarettes. He has not backed it up with any reputable studies or research, and his peers think his claim is ridiculous. One doctor saying something controversial, not backing it up, and having the rest of the medical community think he's a joke, does not make a compelling argument. It seems to me that the reason someone would buy that is if they didn't like running, and wanted to hold on to reasons to avoid it and feel good about that. IMO

Some factors that could increase sagging or wrinkled skin for runners: losing a lot of weight can result in saggier skin for some (which for those people would have been the same no matter how they lost the weight) and increased exposure to the elements (which can be controlled.) Also, plain old passage of time.It gets everyone, and some people just age faster than others - for instance, women start out with less collagen than men, and so they show the signs of aging faster (in general.) Lifestyle is important, but you can't discount genetics and other factors.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    running causes more wrinkles because the up and down motion of you your face jiggling will make it lose collagen

i'll be sure to tell my pug friends...

seriously - don't take this the wrong way - but why does it matter to her if you run?
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    That's a good one! ;D I'm sure one of my friends would try to use that as an excuse if she knew about it!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Haha...that's rich.

I just had a race this past weekend. There was a man there that was 73...he didn't look a day over 55.

Running is great cardio, builds your core and tones you all over. Keep it up and don't let this friend get you down.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand, is if she doesn't like running, why she can't just say, "I don't like running and I'll get my fitness another way." Own it! Desperately trying to justify it and to make a matter of preference into a right/wrong issue... and put it on other people!... is lame. I tried to think of a nicer way to say that, but lame pretty much sums it up.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    *laughing hysterially*
    Tell your friend that scowling at you while you run circles around her will cause WAAAAAY more wrinkles than running
    Or just tell her that running with the wind in your face is an instant facelift.
    Depends on how evil you're feeling. :)
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Wow...if that was the case I doubt I would still get ID'd for R movies at age 26! The only lines on my face are from smiles- the good kind! The funny thing is, I know some friends that would love to run but don't have the patience and determination needed to get past the starting phase and in turn find ways to say running is bad. Maybe that' your friend's big thing? Good luck on your running!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've heard that not running will make your butt all flabby.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If up and down motion caused wrinkles that badly, people would have stopped procreating years ago, and then human race would have ceased to exist.
    Tell your friend that scowling at you while you run circles around her will cause WAAAAAY more wrinkles than running
    Or just tell her that running with the wind in your face is an instant facelift.

That.

Besides, running actually increases circulation efficiency, which improves skin function and health, but doesn't affect the elasticity of your skin at all. Elasticity and winkles are largely predetermined by genetics, and can be influenced by things like sun and wind exposure, but certainly not motion.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I've heard that not running will make your butt all flabby.

Very nice!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Quick get rid of your friend...

Running is great for you and has nothing to do with your face wrinkles, however this maybe derived from the excessive exposure to the sun.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html
    Archives of Internal Medicine in 2008, it found that the runners' knees were no more or less healthy than the nonrunners' knees. And It didn't seem to matter how much the runners ran. "We have runners who average 200 miles a year and others who average 2,000 miles a year. Their joints are the same," says James Fries, a professor emeritus of medicine at Stanford and the leader of the research group. The study also found that runners experienced less physical disability and had a 39% lower mortality rate than the nonrunners.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    128887096688694977.jpg
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Really?? I'm not missing that double chin & 50 extra lbs that I had a few years ago. And I still get carded at 41...:laugh:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with your friend, however; a plastic surgeon and dermotologist I saw was not pleased that I was a runner - more so from the sun / wind exposure and the damage THAT can do to one's skin. I also believe genetics plays a large role. I am going on 51 and people claim I Iook much younger. I say "thank you MOM!"

As others mentioned - good sunblock and moisturizer are essential, but also eating healthy foods and drinking lots of WATER all aid in keeping one's skin glowing and healthy looking.

Keep running girl!:smile:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Running is great for you and will really help to catapult your weight loss. It sounds like your friend is trying to sabotage your progress or at least inhibit you. Keep on running!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Nice article debunking the myth here:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2008/08/08/f-col-hadzipetros.html?ref=rss
    Every so often somebody will tell me they're still looking for an exercise routine that they can enjoy. "But not running, because that'll give me wrinkles and looking old before my time."

Well, it's not running — or any other form of exercise — that'll etch lines in your face. If anything, getting fit may help hold off the inevitable process of wrinkling as your skin conforms to a leaner, more muscular body.

However, yo-yo dieting may also wreak havoc with your skin as alternating between losing and gaining a lot of weight shrinks and then stretches your skin.

There are four major causes of wrinkles: age, exposure to ultraviolet light, smoking and repeated facial expressions.

The last three you can control by not basking unprotected in the sun, not smoking and not continually making the face that your mother warned you not to make when you were a kid.

There's still no cure for aging and its tendency to make your skin thinner, less elastic and more fragile. Your body produces fewer natural oils which will leave your skin drier and more wrinkled.

Sure, there are some things you can do to help lessen the effects of wrinkling. Aging boomers have spent billions on skin creams and botox injections in an attempt to turn back the clock.

But if you want to do it naturally, getting fitter is better, as long as you take the proper precautions for your skin before you head out for an hour-long bike ride or run on a sunny day.

Take a look at Paula Radcliffe, the world's fastest female marathoner. She's been running upwards of 160 kilometres a week training for the women's marathon in Beijing — eight months after giving birth to a daughter. Yes, she's got that typical rail-thin runner's body. But good luck finding a wrinkle on her.