Pain in toe when walking

Options
I am having pain in one of my toes after I walk a certain distance. I wear New Balance cross trainers to walk in. The pain goes away after every walk. Anyone know what's going on?

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You can try walking on your hands... but that would only help until you got sore thumbs
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the toe box is too narrow. You may need to go up 1/2 a size or get another kind of shoe. I would suggest you go to a running store and get fitted and learn what types of shoe work best for your feet.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Sound like your shoes are too small. When you walk / run your feet swell. I normally wear a size 10 - 10 1/2. My running shoes are 11's. I'll bet that's the problem. Go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes. It's usually a free service.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    I get pain in my left great toe when walking for long distances, eventually it goes away with a little rest. My diagnosis, for me at least is arthritis inflammation....and over use. Hope this helps.:happy:
  • lynnmauld
    lynnmauld Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you have the start of a bunion. I have the same issue but it doesn't hurt all the time. This is when your big toe starts to lean towards your other toes.
  • alwaysbrandie
    Options
    I have arthritis in my toes on the right foot. It doesn't bother me unless its really humid, like it has been lately...
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    Options
    Have you ever broken that toe? If it hasn't set in-line itcan cause a lot of pain when pressure is put on it
  • hotwow
    hotwow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always by my running/walking shoes 1/2 size bigger and I buy them wide.
  • paperpusher3
    paperpusher3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have that with my right great toe. My dr discovered that my foot was sliding forward on my orthotics because they were only 3/4 length. I put an insole over them that was non-slip and no more problems untll it wears down. The others may be right about you needing a longer shoe also. I've had to go up a whole size and can't wear all leather sneaks since they crunch down on the beginning of my toes. Must have the mesh. You might try different brands too. I have a hard to fit foot for various reasons and New Balance doesn't work for me. I know lots of others who love them. A good fitter should be able to help.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain exactly? If it's in the joint line, it's a pretty common place to have arthritis.
  • altak9
    altak9 Posts: 20
    Options
    I think if I buy my shoes any larger that I would walk out of them. It is my middle toe on my right foot. It's really difficult to pin point where at exactly. I get a burning, numb pain in it. If I favor it for several steps it will feel a little better for a few minutes.