To join a gym or not, what say you?

Options
Hi all, let me give you a bit of a background. I have a little less than 200 pounds to use, have a treadmill and have used DVD workouts. I have lost consistently for the last month so I know that I can lose weight at home.

Recently a local gym had a huge remodel and we went to their open house on Saturday. The facility is beautiful. They have both indoor and outdoor pool, a spa, sauna, free tanning, a children's program, lots of awesome classes and tons of great equipment, an indoor track, basketball court, personal training, nutrition classes-the whole nine yards. I have belonged to this gym in the past and their customer service is outstanding.

It is $85 a month for my family of six which I don't think is horrible. My daughter just stopped doing club gymnastics which was $80 a month so the money is already in the budget.

What do you guys think? I want it to be worth my while. With 4 kids it is hard for me to go anywhere for any length of time due to nap/eating schedules, plus I homeschool, write a weight-loss blog, lead a cesrean support group, am active in church and a small outreach group (basically, I'm really busy already). But I love group fitness classes, I would love to have access to all that equipment that I just don't at home. And I would love to be able to take my kids to the pool virtually anytime! And I can leave the kids for up to 3 hours-which for a busy mom can be a slice of heaven some days.

But I also want to be realistic and for it to be worth the $. I could also go in the morning before my hubby leaves for work and some in the evenings. I just don't want to sign up, have all these expectations and then not be able to work it out schedule wise and not make consistent use of it.

So what do you all think? Would you take the plunge? Do you have a gym membership? Do you have one and not use it and why not if that's the case? Do you think I would be better off just keeping doing what I am doing from home? Pros/cons of gym membership? Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I think you are the only one who can answer that. Which are you more likely to do? Home or gym? Personally I joined our new gym in February and have been progressing steadily and I don't think I could have done what I have so far at home. But that's me. Good luck with the decision and your journey!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a membership at a gym with no pool. I haven't been in the 3 months since I started a new job, my mornings are spent around the house working on computers and evenings/ weekends are at work. Job is active so I haven't needed the gym OR had the energy to spare, I can't see going to the gym for a workout and then going to work to do what needs done too.

IF IF IF IF my gym had a pool I'd be much more likely to use it, I was swimming daily 2 years ago, but haven't been in a pool in almost 2 years since moving. I'm going to cancel my membership at the current gym here soon I just need to make the time to do it, and then I'll look at signing up at one with a pool in fall/winter if they have a 6 month term rather than a year. I just don't go to the gym in the summer because I'm busy gardening etc.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    do they have a Y there?
    I go there and it cost me 250 for the whole entire year and when its up I will do the family one and I think it's like 350 a year and they have a free daycare
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    The main reason I pay to go Curves is the accountability. I am not going to waste my money by not going. It has really helped me. I do do DVD and use my mini trampoline on the weekend and in the evening sometime. I also enjoy the company and it get me out of the house.

It sound to me it might do you good to get out and do something just for you. I know when I home schooled my kids a friend of mine, who also home schooled her children, and I would walk at the part 3-4 times a week. It was good for both of us and gave us a break from the usual grind of family life, home schooling and working at church (which we both did too).
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are we sharing a life? Minus the kids (and add a full time job), we have very similar schedules. For me, the gym is MY time. No distractions. No interruptions. Just me and my fitness. I'd say- jump on that deal, girl!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i have found that both work for me there is equipment at the gym that i dont have at home so i have to go to the gym to use it and going to the gym keeps me committed to fitness i also like working out at home both are working for me too so i will continue to do both but to answere yr other questions...

1)yes take the plunge since your paying for it and it will beneft the enire family i say go for it.

2)yes i have a memebership to a gym and have had i for over 10 yrs and use it 3xs a wk or more.

3)i also have workout dvd at home and use those 2xs a week or more for added variety, they are great for rainy days or snow days, i especially love doing strength training at home bec im still very self conscious of eyes on me at the gym its a issue im working on..

4)my only advice is dont throw money away if you know the entire fam will enjoy it then do it, if not save some money and keep doing what your doing since your still getting results.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i belong to a very simple gym, no workout classes, no childcare, there is a personal trainer, and then all the machines and weights. I was very skeptical at first and honestly i only joined because it was a no contract situation at a very low price. I had never previously been a gym person. Almost five months later I love it. For me it is too easy to get "busy" at home and not get in a workout. I rationalize if I am at home i should be cleaning something, washing something, playing something with the kids, etc. Going to the gym initially forced me to make time. I wasn't going to drive to the gym and then not work out. I am now considering another gym or signing my daughter up for her own membership. She is a teenager and i want her to see the benefits of regular exercise. If you are committed to changing your lifestyle and can afford it i think the gym is a good bet. The other thing is that as you lose weight you will want to work on toning and those are things much better accomplished at the gym, IMO. Good luck to you.
  • CoachSeanX
    Options
    I don't do the gym. I have found that I can do workouts like P90X, Insanity, Slim in 6 etc in my home and not have to fight for equipment. I love the workouts so much i became a coach and now make monyey distributing them. I love it. I won't step into a gym anymore. I also am getting better results.
  • hillendahl
    hillendahl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Join the gym. You still have the exercise equipment at home...for those busy days. For me...just knowing I'm paying for the gym membership makes me go.

Plus, it is really nice to have an indoor pool to take the kids...who tend to get stir crazy during rainy weather.

Plus, it encourages a lifestyle...you're roll modeling to your children that going to a gym is part of every day life...like going to church or school....

Also...you can work out for 2 hours...and then sit in quiet and read, knit etc...and just have the occassional brain break from 4 kids and responsibility....
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go to Fitness World and it's 64/month for us. We picked going to a gym because it had an indoor pool/hot tub. Great for winter time obviously and it has a daycare that is $1 per hour. So that helps a lot since we like to work out together and we can just bring the kids to the daycare. Sometimes I just want to workout and use the elliptical, which we don't have. I do still do my home dvd's and running at home on days I can't make it to the gym but it's worth it to us :)
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    Financially I have to work out at home but I have a treadmill and an elliptical. Maybe you should figure out your schedule and when you would have time to go and if it looks like you can get to the gym regularly then go for it. You're worth the time and effort.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it. The freedom of exercising without a little one calling out "mommy" is worth alot. You deserve that! Sounds like you are a busy mom, but the most important thing you can do for your family is take some time out for YOU!! It may seem selfish at first but in the long run, it gives them more time with you. Will your hubby use the gym? Are there things that your kids can do to get exercise there (kids classes) etc.? I think it is great that you work out at home but there is something so motivating about being in a group class with other people who have the same goals that you do. You might even make some new friends!

Before you commit you need to decide that you are going to do this for you!

As for the Y, that is where we go. I pay 42.00 a month and that is for all of us. We don't use it alot in the spring and summer b/c we do alot of outside activities but it is great in the winter months and great for group classes, indoor swimming etc!
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My family and I rejoined the Y in February(we had been members before and did not go enough so we would stop) and we haven't looked back since. I have found group classes that I love and when it is hot out(and it has been hot and humid here lately!) there is an indoor track and swimming pool. I have made some friends there that have helped be a part of my success and have been my motivators. It has worked for me as I find it hard to work out at home. (Too many other distractions...lol) Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    At home you can have so many distractions that you put off that workout until later, later comes so you push it off until tonight, tonight comes and its pushed off until tomorrow. I like a gym because you leave your comfort zone(home) with a purpose, your paying for the membership, you drove there, no excuses not to workout now. Sometimes the gym is almost a welcome escape from everyone in your home, time for you to take care of you instead of everyone else....I would go with the gym.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at home and take jogs/walks around my neighborhood. That way, I can't come up with any excuses like rush hour traffic, would have to fill up the car with gas, etc etc. It is working for me really well now that it's summer but I don't know how I'll feel in the winter!
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym that sounds a lot like the one you are describing earlier this year. I LOVE it!! And my kids love it. They are always asking if we can go....

I try to get there 3 times a week to justify the money... my husband has agreed to 1 night a week that he will watch/feed/bathe the kids while I go to the gym and 1 morning a week when I can get up and go to the gym before work and he will get them up and take them to "school" (daycare). I take the kids on either Saturday or Sunday. If my husband isn't working he goes too and then we all go to the pool afterward.

Also, I think it's a good example to my girls. They see me committed to it and now it's just a part of what we all do on the weekends.

This past weekend I left my sunglasses on a treadmill (I accidently left them on my head when I went up to workout) and didn't realize it until I was on my way out so I had to take my kids up to get them. My daughter (who is 4) was SO excited to be able to see where I excercise. She looked around the big room at all of the machines and everyone working out and you could just see the amazment on her face. She's been talking about it all week.

Anyway, I have found it motivating and totally worthwhile...

Good luck with your decision.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I choose to workout at home for a few reasons. One, I can't really afford a gym membership. But my main reason is that I have two small kids and am really busy with housework and what not, so I use the time that my little one naps to workout . I also feel it's easier to find the motivation when all I have to do is go downstairs to exercise. I use pilates DVDs every morning either before everyone wakes up, or at least before hubby goes to work. I do free weights and cardio(on elliptical) during nap time. I think that if you have the will, you can make just about anything work. Some people find more motivation going to the gym, so it's totally an individual decision. I will have you know, however, that I have gotten into excellent shape(lost 25lbs in 5 months and added so much definition to my body) just from doing my at home workouts. Granted, I do exercise almost 2 hours a day, but many people think that you can't get in shape unless you're in a gym. I'm proof that is not the case.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I recently made this decision. I'd say it depends on you, your type of motivation etc.

I had a 24hr membership for a couple years @ $45/mo. I didn't go much. I had to bring other shoes, drive (which is not easy to get motivated for in an Iowa winter!), worried about what I wore, nobody was EVER friendly, and the mgr of the gym was...well, a B.

Then I realized that I was spending $540 a year to use a treadmill every so often. Which is the only piece of equipment I really liked. I couldn't afford the $50+ on top of my membership for a trainer and I never really "learned" weights. elipticals were ok, but I really enjoyed running on the tread. Plus the weight area was always full of these super bulky dudes that take it really serious.

In January I bought myself a NordicTrack treadmill. I love it. I've used it more in the last 6 mos than I used the gym in 2 yrs. My oldest daughter uses it and has started running. I can get it on all hours, no matter what I look like and in 2 mins I'm ready to go instead of having to "go somewhere" or fit in my stop there.

When I came here in May, I added 30DS to my routine....and now I'm doing Supreme 90, every day.

I love it....for me, being at home works better. Everything is right there. I can't make the "TIME" excuse because I'm already at the gym! It also makes it easier for me to be able to multi-task at home. Supper can be cooking while I'm working out. Instead of leaving...then having to make supper. Better time management!

For you....you may be the type that needs the "place to go". That is for you to figure out.

It sounds like the gym being redone, is motivating to you to have the membership, since you've already told yourself that it's in the budget. Maybe that's where you need to be. But that is up to you. I say go with whatever environment will motivate you to get sweating!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you want to, I wont tell you not to. I have allergies that set of my asthma to the point that working out outside is at best, physically painful, and at worst, may set off a 4 month cycle of upper respiratory infection goes to lower respiratory infection, goes to bronchitis, goes to pneumonia.

When the money's available, I get a gym membership. When its not I suffer through if I can, but my workouts are pretty inconsistent.

While its true that you don't need a gym to workout, if it improves the quality/intensity of your workout, then its worth it. If you're just going to use the hot tub.... maybe skip it and use the money for a massage therapist. (yes, for a while before I stopped my last gym membership, I was just going for the hot tub)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Gyms are expensive!! I have only recently left my gym after their constant harassment of not wanting to pay extra for a personal trainer session! In England, it's not just the monthly fees, we get screwed for joining fees, cancellation fees and the constant pressure and harassment to pay extra for 'personal trainer' sessions. Too bad they didn't invest the massive amounts of cash on fixing the place, it's a new gym and half the things never worked!!

Inside, it was like being in a damn nightclub, mirrors,lights,loud, irritating music and boobs and *kitten* everywhere...all to make you feel better for 'walking 6 miles' without never leaving the spot you have been on for over an hour.

I left the gym ( and that was almost impossible even though I was only tied to a year and the year was up) and invested my money on a bike. Since leaving, I work harder, longer and above everything else, ENJOY exercise so much more...a six mile walk when you walk six miles is incredibly uplifting, as is riding a REAL bike!!

Alternatively, you could invest in an elliptical machine or a treadmill and basically have the gym at home...but personally all you really need is a decent pair of running shoes and the great outdoors...you can do any of the strength training by using bottles of water instead of hand weights and youtube is bursting with tons of amazing exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home or yard :-)

The only thing I miss about the gym is the pool,sauna,spa and steam room...in the UK, these types of facilities are not really available to the general public :-(

I know, im not a gym fan at all...but I do believe that it's only fair to say that you can do ** everything ** in a gym at home or outdoors and not be a slave to their greedy and controlling methods and means.