Please review my diary and make suggestions

Options
I am being very patient, and really serious about all the information on MFP. I have made the mental shift for lifestyle change and not dieting. I have made major changes in my eating habits. I have lost 10 lbs in 70 days. I lose about 1 lb every 3 weeks - that does get frustrating for me. I have gone from size 12 to size 8, which is awesome. I have started to work out about every other day. I try and watch my sodium intake and sugar intake. I have added more water to my day. I have tried eating more calories - I just don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I even am doing it wrong. Seems with my age and that fact I don't have a lot to lose - it is harder or slower or something?

I don't really know what else I can do to get the .5 to 1 lb loss per week happening.

I would so appreciate if any of you would look at my diary and be brutally honest with me on recommendations for changes. Please go back a few days to get a good picture of what I eat and exercise etc.

Replies

• calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    While 10 lbs in 70 days might be slow to you, I can tell you I have gained & lost that same 10 lbs in much more time on WW. Also - if you went from a size 12 to a size 8 - I don't think you really ARE doing anything wrong. You have burned fat. You have gained muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.

I don't know how tall you are, so you might be very close to your proper weight. Good for you!
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and currently at 140 lbs. I have a small frame. I believe my ideal weight might be somewhere around 125 or 130. Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the sizes lost indicate something is working - I should be happy with that perhaps and let the scale situation go - I just don't know.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks good to me. A couple of suggestions: one no white potatoes (or white rice, white sugar, white bread, etc.) and no soda including diet. My hubby lost 4 pounds in one month just by cutting out sodas. He only drank diet but sodas seem to affect weight loss. I have not had any sodas or caffeine since last December. This is just a personal observation on the soda.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...10 lbs in 70 days actually works out to an average of 1 lb/week. Looking at your journal you aren't getting many servings of fruits and vegetables. That being said you may not be getting enough fiber.

What are you doing for your workouts? You may consider doing strength training or increase the intensity of your cardio.

Your body is changing so don't be too frustrated. It just isn't showing on the scale the way you'd like. Keep up the good work.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It seems you are losing inches if you have lost some pant sizes. Congrats on that!! Your diary looks very good, but I would lower the amount of carbs you are taking and up the amount of protein. Also, what are you doing for workouts? Looks like you have some small burn rates and its not every day. I think if you upped your workouts as well and got some really good high burns that will help you out and eat back your excercise calories or at least 1/2 of them.

Good luck!!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and currently at 140 lbs. I have a small frame. I believe my ideal weight might be somewhere around 125 or 130. Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the sizes lost indicate something is working - I should be happy with that perhaps and let the scale situation go - I just don't know.

I haven't looked at your diary yet, but you're close to a healthy weight for your height. The weight is harder to lose the closer you get to your goal weight. You've done great so far, but at this point it really takes alot of patience. As far as exercise, make sure you're doing both cardio and strength training.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said, my contribution is to take a look at your sodium. I didn't really look to see where you're from, but I know in Canada, we're recommended to stay at around 1500mg of sodium... so maybe try to aim for that instead of 2500mg. Could reduce any water retention :) Best of luck lady!
  • karenkwalker
    Options
    Thank you to everyone. Great suggestions. Is anyone successful at eating 1500 sodium? I can't seem to figure out what a menu would look like at that level?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I agree that things look like they're going in the right direction for you.

A better way to judge health & fitness is to look at your body fat %. For women, I think 20-25% is idea (but I'm stretching back into vague memories ... I'm sure somebody else knows the numbers better). When you have plenty of muscle, the numbers on the scale (and thus your BMI) will be a bit higher.

I'm 5'0" and I look/feel best about 120 (I do lots of resistance, so that includes a fair amount of muscle). So for 5'4", 130 is probably fine. With only 10 lbs to go, I think that the loss is going to be a bit harder/slower than when there's more to lose. Just stick with it, you'll be healthier for it regardless of the numbers on the scale.
  • bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    another 48er here at 5'3". I've found that I have to change things up about once a month to keep progressing (btw, your weight loss is great - celebrate that). My routine of a banana every morning, salad lunch, etc wasn't continuing to do it for me. Changed it up and had jello and almonds in the am, etc. I think your body goes into the starvation mode - it figures out what we're trying to do and immediately starts working against us - what's up with that?

You look great!!!!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Thank you to everyone. Great suggestions. Is anyone successful at eating 1500 sodium? I can't seem to figure out what a menu would look like at that level?

You would need to replace the processed foods like the lunch meats. It seems like your putting turkey deli meat on salads. Replace that with some grilled chicken. Also, certain cheeses have alot of hidden sodium. However, I think the deli meats are where you're consuming the most sodium. Some of them have over 600mg of sodium for 3 ounces.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have not been able to stay at 1500 milligrams of sodium but I try.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had no idea lol. I've been trying to stick to the 2500 boo lol.
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing a great job btw, I agree with the white potatoes, rice and stuff, just keep that to a minimum, and soda is a killer. Try to calm it to like 1 a month (hard i know), but eventually you wont even want it anymore. Wish you the best of luck!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I agree with others about the processed foods. Baked sweet potato instead of the box junk, fresh veggies instead of crackers, etc. Actually, I think more veggies in general is a good idea. I'd also watch the take out foods and add in a less processed protein at breakfast (more eggs/whites, yogurt, oatmeal with nuts).
  • karenkwalker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Honestly that's the first white potato I've eaten in months - just happened to have it this week. Diet soda has been a huge addiction place for me - 4 months ago - I was drinking them from 7am to 11pm every day. Now I have about 1 a week and really working on removing them entirely. I appreciate your comments - I know they are horrible for me - have switched to ginseng green tea now and water- Yay!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Getting off the Diet Soda will help. You may need to go to 1300 instead of 1200 if it slows down anymore.

Otherwise, you look right on track. Good #'s in the diary, water seems high on some days. You can over it there, maybe cut back some or spread it out to 64oz everyday, you are showing 128oz on days. Even too much of a good thing is too much!

Best of Luck!
  • vinkariz
    vinkariz Posts: 17
    Options
    I have to stay at 1500 or below because I have high blood pressure. I do it my staying away from processed food. I don't add it to my food at all. That seems to do it for me. I really read every lable for sodium content. If I go wrong my ankles swell up so I know when I've gone off track. Having said that, I haven't lost any wieght in three weeks. In fact I've gained so I'm no expert. I've managed the fat and sodium intake but sugar seems to be by problem. I'me trying not to have arificial sweeteners but giving up sugar is so hard fo me. Good luck. I would be so happy if I dropped a few sizes. For me, nothing is happening. I get up every day and try to do better but so far...not so good. Every day I either eat the wrong things (I don't go over the calorie amount) or I don't exercise enough....or I don't drink enough water. It's so hard to hit all the nails on the head.
  • vinkariz
    vinkariz Posts: 17
    Options
    I think you're doing great :)
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options

You can look @ my food diary if you'd like I am way under 1500 sodium but I avoid processed foods and eat a lot of fruits and veggies. You would probably have to pack your own breakfast/lunch to have lower levels :) Your doing great don't get discouraged!!!!