Do it because you're able to!

AshCain
AshCain Posts: 13
edited 12:23AM in Motivation and Support
Since no body seems to have read this in the blog section, I'm posting it in Motivation as that is what its meant to be.

Two days ago (July 17) I turned 26 and having a little bit of a hard time with it. I'm closer to 30 then 20! I still feel young and am probably in a little better shape than in my early 20's, I just can't stay out late like I used to and feel fine the next day! haha And then there is that little ball of energy I have to wake up to every morning known as my 2 year old son. He keeps me young and gives me gray hairs (not literally) all at the same time!! Never did I know that someone could be as busy as he is!

I love that I am able to be active with my son. I have grown up as an athletic person, but could always stand to be 10-20 pounds lighter. The highest I ever weighed was 195 at the end of my pregnancy. Good thing it was only about 10lbs fat, the rest was everything else that comes with being pregnant. Non-pregnant, the highest I reached was 160 in my late teens and early 20s. So I am proud to say I am 15lbs lighter even after having a baby and being married for 3 years. But chasing a 2 year old around is enough to make anyone lose weight!

Okay, well back to the point of my blog. I've had a few epiphanys or light bulbs turn on in the past month. Earlier in July, my grandpa passed away from ALS or Lou Gehrigs Disease. That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to see anyone go through. I would not wish it on my worst enemy; as it is a disease that completely takes over your body physically, but mentally you are still healthy. In a matter of 3 months, my grandpa deteriorated quickly and passed away peacefully with his family by his side. I was there the day he passed, but had left to go home 20 minutes prior to his passing and got called with the news as I was pulling into my garage. After a good cry, I went outside and ran. Ran in circles until I couldn't run any more. (I live on a farm and the way its set up, is like having my own track to run around (only its gravel not tar)).

The reason for my run??? I did it for my grandpa. And now I just think day in and day out that you never know when you'll no longer be able to move or you never know when your last day will be. I use that as my motivation. Now EVERY time I work out, I think of my grandpa. When I want to give up or don't feel like doing it, I think of grandpa and how a healthy 74 year old man went downhill so fast, never having a chance to fight back. But you, as the boss of your own body, you do have a chance to fight back. Fight back against yourself! And don't let anyone or anything get in the way of your "self" You only get one body, one chance, so make it what you want.

Therefore, my lesson of the day~ DON'T MAKE EXCUSES!!! Don't put off tomorrow, what you could do today because there might not be a tomorrow. If your kid wants to play with you, go play!! If someone asks you to dance, please just dance!!! And if you ever feel like you cannot work out one more day, think of it as "I am ABLE work out, therefore I will." This doesn't apply to just exercise, it applies to all aspects of life! If you're able to do it, just do it. In the end you'll be happy you did.

Replies

• HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Nearly made me cry! I loved it great, great motivation and inspiration, thankyou!!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Amen, sister.
  • Great message! Anytime that I'm injured and am not able to run I get very frustrated thinking of all of the people with healthy bodies who aren't using them!!
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Very good message! Thanks a bunch!
  • pamital
    pamital Posts: 58 Member
    Very motivational - thank you!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    So very true! And very motivational. ALS is horrible to watch someone suffer from--I had a co-worker whose wife had it and passed within 6 months of diagnosis.

I will work out this afternoon because I can. :)

Thank you for posting:heart:
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 845 Member
    great post!
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Awesome post! Sorry about your Grandpa - but what a dedication you have made to his life! I turn 49 on Saturday - feeling a bit weird about being that close to 50! I have never taken life lying down and don't intend to start. Your post is very timely for me as I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself in turning 49. I do have my health and I am able to chose to be healthy. Embrace your life - you just never know - it can be so fragile.
  • Terriberry
    Terriberry Posts: 100
    You are absolutely right. We are all in charge of ourselves and we CAN do it everyday. Great motivation! Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.