for those who have lost weight but..

Options
okay, this is for people (like myself) that have lost weight, but... the progress just isn't showing.

since i started MFP a few months ago i have lost around 20 pounds. i started at 175, and i am now at 156. i stopped for a little bit in between, gave up, deleted my account, and went crazy for like two weeks. but, then i got back on the wagon and haven't fallen off since. but.. 20 pounds is quite a bit of weight. i can now fit into a size 8 almost comfortably which is a great things. but.. i really don't look ANY different. no one has commented on me looking any different (and these are people i haven't seen in awhile). i just still feel the same. but 20 pounds is a lot of weight! i would have thought that i would be looking a little different. idk, maybe it's just me..

does anyone else have this problem??

also, feel free to add me! i love support & love to give it :)

xoxo, mariah

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I bet you DO look different. It's hard for people who see you every day to notice things since it's a gradual change. Have you taken pictures? Show us. I bet we can see a big difference.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way I lost 66 pounds 14 out of that when I started MFP, but I don't see it, ppl see it, but I don't I can feel it. If that makes sense.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10, and no one has said a thing! I know that some of my clothes are fitting much better (some now even fit!), but I did expect that at 10 pounds someone would notice or comment.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Most people don't notice until my mom or boss say something and then they will be like , " oh I thought you had!" or "I know, you look great!"
  • hkrosez
    hkrosez Posts: 53
    Options
    okay, this is for people (like myself) that have lost weight, but... the progress just isn't showing.

since i started MFP a few months ago i have lost around 20 pounds. i started at 175, and i am now at 156. i stopped for a little bit in between, gave up, deleted my account, and went crazy for like two weeks. but, then i got back on the wagon and haven't fallen off since. but.. 20 pounds is quite a bit of weight. i can now fit into a size 8 almost comfortably which is a great things. but.. i really don't look ANY different. no one has commented on me looking any different (and these are people i haven't seen in awhile). i just still feel the same. but 20 pounds is a lot of weight! i would have thought that i would be looking a little different. idk, maybe it's just me..

does anyone else have this problem??

I visited my mother recently (very overweight) and she asked me if I noticed anything different. I didn't... so I said no. Apparently, she had lost 40 lbs since I last saw her. However, after she said something, I noticed. AND she was wearing the same clothes. Buy some new clothes and wear those -- you and other people will notice a difference. make sure to take progress pictures as that will help immensely.
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    I'm getting the same thing. most ppl haven't noticed that I've lost 75lbs and 10 inchs, from my heaviest/largest. the only one to notice and say anything was my ex-gf/mother of my daughter. but in the end, I just tell myself as nice as the comments/compliments are to hear. I'm doing this for me, for my health, and not to make others happy.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Takes a while for your self-image to catch-up with real life.

Got together with friends I hadn't seen in a while and got no comments, then I realized that they hadn't seen me since I put on the weight.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For me, I lost quite a bit and no one noticed, or said they noticed. Then when I was staying at the same weight and maybe just building muscle? IDK.... I was working out still but staying at the same weight, People started to notice and ask- how much weight have you lost now??

So I think when you least expect it, people will start noticing. Just keep working hard and it will come!! It is a really good feeling if even one person says that you look like you've lost weight because you and I both know how much time and energy it takes to be fit and healthy!!!:wink:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Some people are very cautious about mentioning/asking if you've lost weight. It can often backfire on them (imagine thinking someone had lost weight and they hadn't ... embarrassing!). In fact, there have been several rants on the boards about how people compliment "wrong" on weight loss. So many people feel that it's better to just not mention it until it's brought up.
    I deal with this with my pregnancy all the time. People are afraid of saying anything until they know for sure I am pregnant because they don't want to embarrass themselves (or me) if I have just gained weight (even though I'm all belly, and IMO clearly it's preg & not fat).

I agree with the poster who suggested progress pics. That will really help!
  • txgator
    txgator Posts: 65
    Options
    I think I may be about 180 degrees different. I have had people tell me they noticed but when I look in the mirror I see the old me. But my clothes fit so much better (even after going from 38's which were too small to 36 which are getting too big) that I just keep motivated to lose till "I" notice. And since I went from only exercising my thumb on my remote to doing Cycling, Tae-Bo, Treadmill, Abs and Weights I KNOW I am better. So never give up. its all about YOU! :wink: :bigsmile: