Polar Hrm...do I need the VO2 max test?

Options
I am trying to decide which Polar HRM to buy. I had it narrowed down to the Ft7 versus the Ft4 and knew the main differences there were the amount of storing the 7 has over the 4. Then I remembered that some of the hrm's have the VO2 max test. I realize that the VO2 max test is going to allow for more accurate results, but do you think I just get away with the ft7 or ft4 ?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've read, but not confirmed, that the 7 is more accurate than the 4 because of the fitness test built into it. I have the f6 and it has the fitness test too.
  • lisey116
    lisey116 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So there still is a fitness test, just not a VO2 max test on the ft7?
  • yeabby
    Options
    I don't know if it's the VO2 max or not. Since it is a model lateral/up from F6 I'd assume it does have the test the F6 has but, I don't know what it's called. Other people have commented on the FT7 having a physical fitness assessment as well. If you can afford the FT7 I'd go with it over the FT4.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Actually you do for accurate calorie count. I don't have the article but someone shared an article with me that described the items needed in a HRM in order to have an accurate calorie count. Mine has it, Polar FT60.
  • lisey116
    lisey116 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The polar ft60 is an older model right? Can you replace the battery on it yourself? I would so be ok with an older model, I just don't want to send it back for replacement.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The VO2 test on the watch may not be that accurate anyways so not sure it would be beneficial if that is the only difference between the two. I got my VO2 testing done by the company I train with.
  • yeabby
    Options
    The polar ft60 is an older model right? Can you replace the battery on it yourself? I would so be ok with an older model, I just don't want to send it back for replacement.

They say not to change it yourself but it is really easy. Remove 4 screws, change battery, replace screws. The only thing to check is that you don't lose the little gasket as you pull it apart. Super easy. I've done it and it's no big deal.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Neither the FT4 or FT7 have the fitness test. I used the FT7 for a few months and was happy with it. I just recently gave my FT7 to my wife and upgraded to the FT40 which DOES have the VO2Max fitness test.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you read the manual for the Ft7 and the ones that have the fitness test(Ft40 and Ft60), they both have it. Only difference is that in the Ft40 and Ft60 you can manually input you're Vo2Max, with the Ft7, you can't. Also its not advertised with the Ft7, but from what I've read and compared it does have it.
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    How does the fitness test work on the FT7? Is it just the fat burning vs fitness that you guys are talking about or am I missing something that my HRM has?
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If you read the manual for the Ft7 and the ones that have the fitness test(Ft40 and Ft60), they both have it. Only difference is that in the Ft40 and Ft60 you can manually input you're Vo2Max, with the Ft7, you can't. Also its not advertised with the Ft7, but from what I've read and compared it does have it.

The FT7 doesn't have the fitness test. The fitness test on the FT40 and FT60 requires you to lie down for 5 minutes while the test is performed at rest. The FT7 has nothing like that.
  • daisyamber
    daisyamber Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've recently purchased the FT40 - when exercising my calories burned were almost identical to MFP until I did my Vo2 max fitness test on my watch and saved the results. Now I am burning a lot less calories during the same workouts - can anyone explain it to me - does it mean I'm fitter or not?! Thank you.