Bowflex select tech dumbbells - worth the $$??

Options
I've outgrown my powerblock "sport" dumbbells, which have served me quite well. They go up to 24 lbs each, and I now need heavier ones. I'm thinking about the bowflex select tech 55 lbs dumbbells - but they're pretty pricey.

If you own them, what do you think of 'em? Or, do you have a different set of adjustable dumbbells that you like, and can recommend?

-m

Replies

• Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I was researching this a while ago. I never invested in the Bowflex because... well... I wasn't consistent enough in my workouts to validate the purchase. I researched a few different adjustable dumbbell sets and the Bowflex seem to be the best in terms of quality. However, powerblocks would've been my second pick. Powerblock has a 50 and 55 pound set if you wanted to stick with your tried and true manufacturer.
  • dandy_mandy
    Options
    Good question..... I'd like to know too. Thanks for bringing this up!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have them and I like them. They are not PERFECT, but no adjustable set is. They're very easy to operate and, changing weight is very fast. They are a little bulky, and can be slightly awkward on certain exercises, but overall I'm very happy with them.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love mine. After trying a friend's out, I loved the shape of the grip. They save me ton of space. Just don't drop them! I had one roll off the bench while I was getting water and it cracked. Luckily my Dad is a repair guru and got me back in business. From what I hear, it takes an act of Congress to get repairs or replacement parts from Bowflex. The offset weights (where you have to set one side to one weight and the other side to another) takes getting used to, but it's not a problem. You don't want to do pushups on them or hold them by the plates, but for basic moves, they're great.