Anyone losing weight with diet alone?

Options
I just joined mfp last week and I am really enjoying reading some of the posts...I was hoping to get some help.

I have been banned from exercising for about 6 months and I don't know when or if I will ever be able to exercise again. I have a metabolic disorder that causes my muscles to break down when I exercise. So, between the stress of finding out I have this medical condition and the inability to work out I have gained a lot of weight. I have never been able to lose weight with diet alone and was wondering if anyone that has had success could share some helpful hints. Thank you.

Replies

• kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just joined mfp last week and I am really enjoying reading some of the posts...I was hoping to get some help.

I have been banned from exercising for about 6 months and I don't know when or if I will ever be able to exercise again. I have a metabolic disorder that causes my muscles to break down when I exercise. So, between the stress of finding out I have this medical condition and the inability to work out I have gained a lot of weight. I have never been able to lose weight with diet alone and was wondering if anyone that has had success could share some helpful hints. Thank you.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be for you to ask your doctor what you can do. You have a very specific problem and there may be things you can or should do and maybe not but you should definitely address the issue with your doctor. :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight with diet alone. Excercise has tons of benefits but if you are following MfP's guidelines, losing weight isn't one of them. You deficit is what will cause you to lose weight. Here, excercise earns you extra calories to much on, it doesn't make your deficit larger. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    The answer is yes, you will lose weight without exercising. Calculate your BMR on this site (under tools), to determine how many calories your body burns in 24 hours without doing anything (just to maintain life). Then you will know what your daily calorie goals are. You will not become toned without exercise, but you will lose weight. As always, be sensible with your goals, and if you have health concerns other than losing some weight, you should consult your doctor first. Good luck, and weclome!:drinker:
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas. I checked out the BMR and it's nice to see how much I can eat without lifting a finger to burn it. I have definitely been working with my Dr.s, but if any of you have ever dealt with a neurologist you'll know that they are a very busy breed and hard to pin down. At this point, my weight gain seems to be the least of their worries (even though it feels like one of my biggest!). I appreciate you all taking time to answer...Thanks.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I would say that you should definitely be talking to your doctor.

But on a plus side - I lost more than 10 pounds the first month I was here and only from watching calories and fat. (About 1300 calories a day as suggested by this site.) I did begin exercise in month 2 and I've continued to lose.

Check with your doctor they may have some great words of wisdom for you to safely lose.