Rice or Ice?

What do you use for sore muscles? I have heard of some people using rice and some people using ice. If you do use rice, does it have to be a specific kind? Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Rice stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    if you use rice its in a cloth bag warmed in the microwave uncooked and dry.

I do neither... i use Aleve!!!
  • slmclellan
    slmclellan Posts: 6 Member
    RICE is an acronym, it refers to rest, ice, elevation, compression and is used usually for acute injuries. Heat is probably better for sore muscles.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Like using the rice to heat up? It doesn't matter what kind you use, just has to be uncooked. You can reuse it over and over. You would use ice on a sore joint not on muscles.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    I prefer to eat my rice... I bet you couldn't tell huh?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Mmm. Rice.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Mmm. Rice.

Agreed.

I know people who use ice baths to help with soreness. Some people also use foam rollers and "the stick". I use compression socks and those help me.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Mmm. Rice.

Agreed.

I know people who use ice baths to help with soreness. Some people also use foam rollers and "the stick". I use compression socks and those help me.

That's true! I forgot about the ice baths!
  • Rice in mah belly and RICE on mah knobblies.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Here at the hospital, the Dr's will sometimes use rice in a cloth heated in the microwave for new mothers to relieve soreness with their back or etc.... I have been using ice, just wasn't sure if maybe the rice was better or not.

Compression socks.....Now there is a thought, I think I may need to purchase some of these. Thanks.
  • Not necessarily. RICE is applied for many inflammation only injuries, aka knee pain. My chiro said Id be fawked if I used heat ..
    RICE is an acronym, it refers to rest, ice, elevation, compression and is used usually for acute injuries. Heat is probably better for sore muscles.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Personally, I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Personally, I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet.

awww. do you own one of those little potbellied pigs?
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    I use Epsom Salt in a warm bath. Two cups in a bath and soak for about 10-15 minutes works well for me.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    I use Epsom Salt in a warm bath. Two cups in a bath and soak for about 10-15 minutes works well for me.

Hmmmmmm.... I never heard of this....I may try this one soon tooo. Thanks.