Weigh meat before or after cooking?

Options
Wynnie
Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
I'm making a recipe with 4 oz of chicken. Do I weigh it before or after cooking?

(Someone once told me that a 1" steak was about 4 oz for a piece the size of a credit card - don't know if that works for chicken).

PS - recipe is yummy and easy - marinate 1 hour (in fridge) with sesame oil, balsmic vinegar, ginger and soy sauce and then bake in a small casserole dish at 400 until done, about 40-50 minutes (just check).

Replies

• Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm making a recipe with 4 oz of chicken. Do I weigh it before or after cooking?

(Someone once told me that a 1" steak was about 4 oz for a piece the size of a credit card - don't know if that works for chicken).

PS - recipe is yummy and easy - marinate 1 hour (in fridge) with sesame oil, balsmic vinegar, ginger and soy sauce and then bake in a small casserole dish at 400 until done, about 40-50 minutes (just check).
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Since it's in a recipe, I would guess that the 4 ounces is before it's cooked...but it depends on how the recipe is worded...usually it will specify, but if it doesn't, I believe it's raw meat...

And when you're not using a recipe...you should be able to find caloric values for both cooked and uncooked chicken...but unless you add a lot of butter or oil in the cooking process, the values probably won't be off by too terribly much.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's before - just like a quarter pounder burger is 1/4 before it's cooked. I have heard about that card size piece as well.
  • sebaseth
    sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 oz of meat at each meal and I have been told by weight loss consultants to always weigh your meat or cooked vegestables after you cook it. If you do not have a scale then it should be the size of a deck of cards or approx. the size of your palm. Enjoy your recipe!!
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I do it after, but that is just to save on having to wash more dishes!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have also read that you are supposed to weigh it after you cook it. I used to think it was before but there is so much water, etc that get's cooked out, so I guess after is a more accurate weight for the actual meat.