What if you have to work late?

Options
StephEx
StephEx Posts: 69 Member
I have a job where I dont get off work till 7 on most nights. How do I work dinner and exercise? I heard your not supposed to eat after 8pm.
Any Advice!?

**thanks all for the advice!- I currently get up between 530-7 and do 20 situps and I go for a walk **

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat after 8pm, I wouldn't eat. You do what works for you!!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier & workout in the morning? That's what I do. It sucks getting up at 4:45-5:00, but otherwise I run out of time in the evenings. :grumble:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm frequently at work to 7 or 8, I eat a meal around 4:00 at my desk. I work out first thing in the AM - 4or 5 AM - to know I will get my workout in. IF I miss it in the AM - I workout at lunch, and just grab a protein bar at my desk for lunch. Then, if it really is late, I just end up skipping in general and getting back on track the next day.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on when you go to bed. I eat dinner at 6:30 and go to bed at 9-9:30 and I don't have any problems. I get off from work at 4:30 and go to the gym right after work. So I eat 2 hours after I get off from work and go to bed 5 hours after. So if you go to bed at midnight, I don't see how eating at 9 would be a problem.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If your schedule is different than others, than just tweak it some. If you need to eat after 8, that's not a problem! It's total calories in versus total calories out that determines weight loss....not the time that you eat it. Granted, I wouldn't say eat a huge big mac before bed....but if that's when you have to eat because of time constraints, that's not a problem.
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That's a myth
  • aprilaugustus
    Options
    It's honestly a myth! I crave food mostly at night and early in the mornings, I just eat whatever. If it makes you feel better though...eat whenever, just eat light foods.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The suggestion for early morning is a good one, but not for the reason you may think. Early morning assures you get it done, and that would be the reason to consider it. But if you must work out at night.....know this: There has been plenty of proof that eating late is not the culprit. The only way it is sometimes worse to eat late, is because people tend to binge because often they went without eating for too long. But it is far worse to miss a workout just to eat early, than to get your workout in, and eat later.

What you need to focus on is how to get some food on your way to your workout, or an hour before. I make green smoothies every morning, with a little protien powder. I put 1/2 in a water bottle, and store it at work. When I don't get a chance to eat, I shake it up and have that, while I'm doing something else, or driving. Also things like really healthy breads, cherry tomatoes, snap peas, skim cheese sticks, are all ways to get that pre workout snack, so that you have a good workout, then don't binge too much when you get to eat afterwards.

Good luck.