I need a good(but healthy) birthday dessert idea!

Options
sandyfeet10
sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
My mother's birthday is tomorrow and we're all being cautious of what we're eating. Any good healthy, but celebratory desserts out there?

I was thinking angel food cake, but I wanted to do something different!

Thanks!

Replies

• str0nger
    str0nger Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    strawberries in the snow?
    I believe its just basically strawberries, whip cream{or vanilla icecream] and angel food cake thats all been cut up and put into a bowl
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Was going to suggest strawberries and angel food cake. Or a beautiful fruit salad with Cool Whip? I also know that there is a WW recipe using apples & butterscotch pudding...you could probably find it online.
    Maybe parfaits with sf pudding and fruit (depending on how many people you are serving).
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Honestly.... I love cake. Make cupcakes and just have one each. That way you can't cut 'big slices' - you know what a serving size is, and you can control it. If there are leftovers freeze them and then if you want one you'll have to wait for them to defrost so it won't be easy to scoff them down in a frenzy.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I know a diabetic nurse at work, she makes sugar free pudding (usually key lime flavor) and then mixes it with a tub of fat free cool whip and puts it in a graham cracker crust. Sometimes she sprinkles fruit on top (pineapples with the key lime). It's pretty low-cal and very satisfying. You could do chocolate or any flavor pudding.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bake a sugar free yellow cake ( pillsbury I think) after it cools cut it into small pieces and layer it in a triffle bowl with light or fat free cool whip, instant sugar free pudding and blueberries/strawberries...very yummy and pretty :)
  • Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Do a jello mold with mixed fruit in it and put some low fat cool whip on it. :)
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    There are 150 cal. microwave mini lava or caramel cakes in the cake asile. Add some free Cool Whip :) They also sell a no sugar added cake mix (chocolate), substitute canned pumpkin for oil (x5) and use free Cool Whip mixed with sugar or fat free pudding for frosting. Personally, I would stick with the single instant serving :)
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    Angel Food Cake (make your own or store bought), cut the top off (about 1/3), dig a trench (save removed cake) mix sugar free strawberry jello with sliced strawberries, pour in trench, add saved cake (as much as possible), put top on cake, ice with Cool Whip, put strawberry slices on as decoration, put in fridge until ready to serve.

DELICIOUS! My mom made this for us when we were kids. I make it from time to time and everybody loves it.

Mart
  • amanda_100283
    Options
    I found this recipe the other day, I haven't tried it yet but it sounded good and its really not too bad.

"Healthified Devil's Food Ice Cream Pie"

Here is the link for the recipe. If you try it out let me know how it turns out. :-)

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/search.aspx?criteria=Healthified Devil's Food Ice Cream Pie
  • sandyfeet10
    Options
    Honestly.... I love cake. Make cupcakes and just have one each. That way you can't cut 'big slices' - you know what a serving size is, and you can control it. If there are leftovers freeze them and then if you want one you'll have to wait for them to defrost so it won't be easy to scoff them down in a frenzy.

I don't trust myself enough!!! I'd eat some before they made it to my mom's and never make it to the freezer!!! LOL!!!!
  • sandyfeet10
    Options

Is jello really made from marrow?? Like, if were vegan, I couldn't eat it because it comes from an animal?
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just made tonight confetti pink lemonade cupcakes from www.skinnytaste.com. They were sooo good and only 100 cal per cupcake! You can easily make a cake out of it.
  • kmbutler09
    kmbutler09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Use a cake mix and add a can of diet coke instead of the eggs,oil, etc. Do diet coke if chocolate cake, and sprite zero, orange, etc for white cake. Very yummy! Cupcakes have less then 100 calories, not sure how many if you do a cake.
  • sandyfeet10
    Options
    I found a recipe for dark chocolate pecan avocado muffins!!! They are really natural...no fake stuff!!!! I think I'm gonna try those!!

http://healthy.betterrecipes.com/dark-chocolate-pecan-avocado-muffins.html
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I know a diabetic nurse at work, she makes sugar free pudding (usually key lime flavor) and then mixes it with a tub of fat free cool whip and puts it in a graham cracker crust. Sometimes she sprinkles fruit on top (pineapples with the key lime). It's pretty low-cal and very satisfying. You could do chocolate or any flavor pudding.

That sounds great!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I've had this before, actually really good.
  • Bookwormdee
    Bookwormdee Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Is jello really made from marrow?? Like, if were vegan, I couldn't eat it because it comes from an animal?

I don't think from marrow, per say, but it is made from animal bones. Anything that has gelatin would not be vegan.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I saw a cake out of skinny cow ice cream sandwiches....I'll try to find the picture lol.

skinny-cow.jpg
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    i just thought of this...You cant like make it for everyone..but if you wanted a healthier option for yourself...a fiber one brownie...with a tbsp of light cool whip on top...NOM NOM!