Just curious...anyone else do this?

Options
TakeOne
TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
Hey MFPers!

So I just finished eating a salad I prepared along with my dinner. And as usual I did NOT put any salad dressing, oil, or what-have-you on my salad. Does anyone else eat their salads naked/plain? I'm curious, b/c I am literally the only one I know who does this. Always have btw..not to be healthier, but guess it could be.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I think plain salads are very good esp. if I add sunflower seeds or chicken...Yummm.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    I prefer some olive oil and lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar.
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've always liked the taste of salad with no dressing on it, from the time I was a kid. Then I got hooked to italian dressing. I put it on everything. But still go for the naked salads. I cannot stand heavy, creamy dressings or the fat free dressings, they taste to artificial.

So going natural on your salad is much healthier, plus you get to enjoy all the freshness from the veggies without overloading them with high fat. So you are not weird at all....just very healthy.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Love the taste of the veggies, not the dressing!
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do too. I have never really liked ranch, and I'm not a fan of other dressings either. I love a good salad with lots of veggies to add taste.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I never have... but I would if I could learn some awesome salad recipes like with fruit in it..... and I can't go without cheese so feta or blue would make it possible :D
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I COULD NEVER DO THAT
    haha the point of the salad is the dressing for me :)
  • TakeOne
    Options
    Yay!!! I'm not alone :smile:
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I prefer some olive oil and lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar.

lemon juice is a good idea o_O
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times, and don't mind. It was usually because I didn't like the dressings available, but lately to save Calories.
  • TakeOne
    Options
    I think plain salads are very good esp. if I add sunflower seeds or chicken...Yummm.

I've never tried sunflower seeds! Thanks for the idea :)
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's way too dry for me without dressing. I've been eating salads almost daily for lunch for about 7 years (wow, never thought about it before, that's quite a while) and I've never been able to eat them dry. I have used various dressings in the past but now I use vinegar + mustard and some spices.
  • TakeOne
    Options
    It's way too dry for me without dressing. I've been eating salads almost daily for lunch for about 7 years (wow, never thought about it before, that's quite a while) and I've never been able to eat them dry. I have used various dressings in the past but now I use vinegar + mustard and some spices.

I guess I don't consider it to be "dry" b/c veggies have so much water in them anyway.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I usually eat mine plain ... just always been a habit
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I do, but not all the time. If I have a nice spinach salad with strawberries and almonds, I don't want to ruin the flavors with dressing.
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have about 10 different salad dressings in my fridge... we've recently changed to eating healthy in our house and that means eating veggies and salads every day. A couple of days ago, I bought organic salad dressing and it's quite good. I think I like the vinaigrette dressings more than ranch dressings now. As for eating salads naked, I could do it because I love veggies, but I prefer to dress them!:laugh:
  • mandasue1976
    mandasue1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do not usually put dressing on my salads, it only covers the taste, adds calories, & besides I have not found any good ones that I like.
  • anjoweena
    anjoweena Posts: 28
    Options
    I very rarely use salad dressing. Everyone back home always makes fun of me for it as well! And if I do use dressing (if my salad is more plain) I use lemon juice. Also, if I go out I ask for the dressing on the side and will dip the ends of my fork in it occasionally.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS eaten my salads that way. I remember as a kid a waitress kept trying to get me to get SOMETHING for my salad. I finally agreed she could bring me some lemon wedges, but I never used them.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As long as I can remember my dad has eaten his salad without dressing. If we're out, he'll ask for a lemon wedge to squeeze on it. I, personally, don't like very much dressing on mine. Just enough to get a little taste of the dressing is good for me.