weights while walking

Options
winodini
winodini Posts: 135 Member
I keep reading conflicting advice online about this? Does anyone know if it is truely helpful?

Replies

• trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i was very lucky to have this conversation with two personal trainers just a little while ago ( they are both multi-time ironman distance triathlon finishers, one has completed the race across america bike race and the other one is a RTM ) so when it comes to their input i take it as gold....
    they are both pro it only after you have a excellent base BUT not on ankles of wrists
    they idea is to add a very small amount of weight but to the body itself ... you can do this with a camelbak full of water or a weighted vest, if you just add it to the wrists or ankles its too hard on the joints and screws up your natural gait

hope this helps
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I use 2-2lb weights while I walk. I am going to get some for my ankles this week. I just started this 1 1/2 weeks ago. I was getting a Cholestrol screening done and the nurse toward me it will help burn more calories (I'm sure not a ton of them but some)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I had heard that if you want to have weights, to use a weighted vest, or carry them, but ankle weights can throw things out of whack. I know peeps that use ankle weights & never had trouble, but I never liked them. I use mine for marching. That's a workout!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    i was very lucky to have this conversation with two personal trainers just a little while ago ( they are both multi-time ironman distance triathlon finishers, one has completed the race across america bike race and the other one is a RTM ) so when it comes to their input i take it as gold....
    they are both pro it only after you have a excellent base BUT not on ankles of wrists
    they idea is to add a very small amount of weight but to the body itself ... you can do this with a camelbak full of water or a weighted vest, if you just add it to the wrists or ankles its too hard on the joints and screws up your natural gait

hope this helps

I've read similar information. I wouldn't do ankle weights, but if you have a weighted belt, that could probably work.
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been using two 2lb hand weights. I think I will look into the vest or belt, those are great suggestions.

Thank you soo much for the quick responses!