discouraged and depressed

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Aim for a non-weight loss fitness goal. Maybe try Couch to 5k, or the 100 pushup challenge, or to do the 30 Day Shred for 30 days in a row. Something where you KNOW you're improving your health, strength and fitness whether or not anything changes on the darn scale.

I was never a runner before, and really didn't think I could ever be. I started Couch to 5k (www.c25k.com) in December and ran my first race in March! I'm running a 10k this weekend.

Dropping pounds is great and all, but there's something really special and motivating about achieving those "I can't believe I can did that!!!" goals.
  • gignme
    gignme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please don't be discouraged. I am also in the same boat, however, I have a lot of stress in my life and I believe that sure doesn't help. If there is stress in your life also that may be the reason why it is so difficult to lose weight. Be strong and continue on. It will happen.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Show your diary if you want us to help you. That being said. The scale is usually a lying *****!!! I remember one week I gained 2 pounds....but lost an inch at my hips at the same time.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Put aside numbers and the scale for a moment- do you feel better? Has your energy improved? Do you have moments where you feel proud of the effort you are putting forth?

I don't know enough about you to have any idea why you haven't lost a pound, there are myriad possibilities. But I know how difficult this journey can be. It doesn't happen overnight. Personally, it has taken me 10 years to get to my goal- and now that I am at it, I have new goals!

A positive frame of mind is critical for success in anything we do. Love yourself for the commitment you've made to yourself. Have patience. Have faith. Costructively reach out for help. Nothing good has ever been born from hate.
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! With all that work on the treadmill I'm sure your trading muscle for fat! Muscle weighs more. Maybe you need to change your exercise routine and work different parts of your body. I just started this whole "diet" thing again for god knows how many times! I will be glad when I reach any one of the goals I have set for myself. Give yourself a break, have a "free day" don't let this get you down!
  • kinderj
    kinderj Posts: 14
    Options
    How much of your exercise calories do you eat back or do you eat none back? Could that be the problem? If I eat my exercise calories back than perhaps I am just maintaining. Could that be it?
  • kris22011
    kris22011 Posts: 6
    Options
    You need to try something different. If you go to a gym try doing the teadmill for 10-15 mins and the ellpitical for like 10 mins. If you are working out at home with just a treadmill don't do the same thing the entire time or the same thing every day. I go to the gym every morning and there is an option on the treadmill i use that has the option to do a fat burner or calorie burner I usually use that.. but on the days i don't use that I start off at a slow pace with no incline for a min or 2 than I increase the speed to 3 mph and the incline to 2.5 walk for a few mins..rase it it 3.5....than 4 bring it down and up every few mins and I never do it in the same order. Maybe this can help you!!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing isn't working, do something different. There are lots of great suggestions here. Try some of them.
  • kinderj
    kinderj Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you! Words of encouragement help more than you know!
  • autumnmoon2001
    autumnmoon2001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like you, I was at a plateau for a long while. When I first started, I felt and looked fitter but didn't lose any pounds, so it may be as others have mentioned that you are losing inches, not pounds which is really the result we want, don't we? Also, like others have advised, try incorporating strength training and try doing different exercises because it may be your body is used to what you are currently doing.

You can do it! Keep at it : )
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    The scale is not the tool to see if you are losing weight. Have you been checking your measurements. I bet you are losing inches. Do not go just by the scale. How are you clothes fitting. Don't get discouraged!!! Just keep at it.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have a collection of answers for you: And it's RADICAL!

1) RELAX - stress causes weight gain
    2) AVOID - Diet soda/pop. It creates an acidic PH in your body that keeps you from burning any fat.
    3) DRINK - Water. Tons of it!
    4) INCREASE - your sleep - believe it or not, this has HUGE impact on your weight loss.
    5) CONSUME - varried amounts of calories every day. Stagger it - 1800, 1200, 1600, 1300, 1700, etc. etc.
    6) AVOID - alcohol completely.
    7) LOSE - the scale! it's not helping you!

Hope this works!
  • Mar1posa
    Mar1posa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. You are doing great. I didn't see your age but I have learned that has we age it becomes more difficult to lose, especially to us women with our great hormone imbalance after age 45. I am proof. I have been working out 6 days a week and watching my calories. It started in January 2011 with working out 3-4 days but nothing was happening, so I kicked it up. I lost 7 pounds in a month. Went back to 4 days workout and went stagnent again. So I went back to 6 days and here is where I will stay.
    I sqeeze in all types of exercise so I don't get bored. I do step, zumba, weights and go for long walks with my husband. Every little bit helps. Your body could have gotten used to the incline, break up the routine, challenge your body something different. But most important don't give up. I almost did, glad I didn't. Remember as long as your not gaining your on the right track.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The one thing you can damn sure guarantee is failure. - Me

Quick observation: You look like a very small woman! We lose it slow. It sucks.

And a bit of advice... Don't focus on the number on the scales. Go send them to live with someone else... Your relative, your best friend, somebody. Stay off of them. Instead, focus on conditioning yourself and getting in the best shape possible. Eat the healthiest food possible. I don't care what people say. It's NOT just about calories in vs. calories out. The quality of your calories makes a difference. Focus on your nutrition as well as your calorie count.

Oh, and Phase 1 / Phase 2 South Beach, each for 2 weeks, while knocking out a month of the 30 Day Shred will force anyone's body to change. Just sayin'... :happy:
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Well....for me I don't eat my exercise calories back. I have still hit plateau's but I have managed to break through them. It just takes patience, you can do it!

Another thing as others have said....you have probably gained muscle or you could even be weighing yourself at bad times. Make sure to weigh yourself early before you begin to put food and liquid into your system!

Weight loss is a hard thing to do...but you can never lose if you keep trying....the only way to lose is to give up... We have all been where you are and the fact that you are still going is a sign of your strength.

Mix up your exercises so that your body doesn't get used to the same routine. And try something different like maybe eating back half your workout calories.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling? Sometimes feeling stronger will be motivation enough to keep going.

However, I've been there before, where I tried to eat right and I worked out for months, and nothing happened. It turned out that I had some hormone problems. My advice to you, is that if you're not feeling better, and you're still not losing weight in another month, you might want to see about some blood tests to make sure there isn't an underlying issue.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Here's the question -- Despite the fact that you're depressed over the number you're seeing on the scale, do you PHYSICALLY feel better? Sometimes it's not all about what you can measure or see. I eat healthy and work out to feel better... Looking better is an added bonus that usually comes a lot further into the future.

Don't get discouraged! Keep it up and add some variation. Someone else has already mentioned trying Couch to 5K... I did it and am hooked on running now. You might try it and see if it doesn't give your body the kick start you need to start losing.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree that focusing on the non-number goals can be a big help. You don't always have control over the scale. But you do have control over trying something new in terms of exercise or increasing your water. Also look at the bigger picture of getting healthier. Everything you are doing is helping you be a stronger healthier person.

For the next month- read through all the suggestions given here and pick one thing to focus on. Add weights, eliminate processed foods, or diet pop and work on that. Also remember your ultimate goal is to be an active healthy person. Don't let the scale determine your success.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    hm...the only things i can think of is that you either are not eating enough or you need to change your exercise rountine. are u also weight training? or make it 6 days a week of exercise instead of 6. thats what i did and it worked for me. hope this serves u well.
    [/quote

I agree! Changing up exercise works and 6 days a week with one day of rest. I was at a plateau for a long time and started really pushing myself on my cardio and really making sure I didnt cheat on the weekends and all of a sudden the weight started going down. Dont give up!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    How much of your exercise calories do you eat back or do you eat none back? Could that be the problem? If I eat my exercise calories back than perhaps I am just maintaining. Could that be it?

From your photo, you already look fairly fit and compact -- you don't have a lot to lose, so YES, eat back every single exercise calorie. You're probably not getting a lot of calories per day here if you only want to lose 10-20 lbs. You need to keep fueled to do the 5 days a week workout that you're doing, especially if you weren't working out before. I think you need to give it time. And give yourself a break -- you just started a month ago! I plateaued for 6 weeks, and only recently lost 1 more lb. I wanted to cry too!! It's SLOW, but that's how it goes. And remember -- the slower it goes, the longer it'll stay off.

And as a lot of folks have already said -- DON'T GIVE UP. It's expecially hard to lose weight when you only have a few pounds to lose. It's also a lot harder after 35.

HANG IN THERE. And feel free to add me if you need some support.:flowerforyou: