How many calories do you allow yourself and......

Options
2»

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    1. How many calories do you allow yourself each day?

2. What percentage of Carbs/Protein/Fat is in your plan?
    I'm on a low carb diet so:
    carbs = 10%
    protein = 40%
    fat = 50%

3. How much weight do you need to lose?
    I have 42 lbs to go

4. What is your activity level?
    I'm a figure skater. I practice 3 times a week. So I'd say light to moderate.

5. How tall are you, how much do you weigh? (if you want to tell)
    I'm 5'8" and currently 202 lbs
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    It really depends on how active you are.
    When I started losing weight for the umpteenth time in August 2010, my calories fluctuated from 1200 (being my MINIMUM) and 1900 (being my MAXIMUM. It took me 4 months to lose 20 pounds (and I wasn’t keeping track of fat, protein, sodium, etc) and still lost weight). Ultimately, it depends on how fast you want to lose the weight. Now, I keep track of most of the things above (not having a particular number to stick with) except my calories…the more exercise I do, the more I can eat. Right now, my calories are set to 1,920. I can eat that amount without exercise and lose 0.5-1 pound per week. I’m in no rush to lose the weight (as I’ve lost 75 pounds already anyway. I usually exercise each day, so I can lose a little more the the prescribed weight per week.
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    I am playing around with my goals, so if y'all see my calories all over the place thats why. I'm trying to decide what to set it at.
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I don't know how many calories I should be eating. MFP allows me 1210, but I have not lost any weight in a month.

I'm 5' 4" and weigh about 151 lbs. I sit at a desk all day, so my activity level is seditary. My baseline for calories is 1210, and I'm usually right under 1200 every day. I worked with my doctorto set calorie intake, fat, sat fat, sodium, cholesterol and sugar. She told me that as long as I eat balanced meals, I should not worry about percentages (your Q2). I can't lose any weight unless I up my activity level. It took me about 12 weeks to lose twelve pounds. I haven't exercised much in the last two weeks, and the scale shows it. I struggle to find the time to exercise Friend me if you want to discuss further. Good luck.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm set for 1650 each day.

My macros are set for 40/30/30 but it doesn't usually shake out that way. I'm usually a good bit over on protein (yay!), a little over on fat (meh) and definitely under on carbs on most days. So yeah, I should probably reset my macros. I feel best (more energetic) when my carbs hover under 100 grams. My protein bare bones minimum is 100 grams a day.

I've got roughly 5 lbs to go before I hit my first goal and from there I plan on doing serious bodyfat tweaking.

My activity level is set to lightly active. My work day as a primary-age Montessori teacher can on occasion be very active but usually it's just a good bit of getting up and down off a floor/wee little table, etc. That's my everyday life. My exercise level is a different story. I usually eat those calories save a small buffer for tasting dinner while cooking and that sort of thing.

I am 5'2'' and weigh 130 lbs. I started at 166 around midwinter but got pretty serious about things in February. I suspect when I get my lean muscle up and my body fat down I could get to the 119-123 range which is where I felt amazing once upon a time.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

I don't know how many calories I should be eating. MFP allows me 1210, but I have not lost any weight in a month.

As someone said, you may need to eat back your exercise calories. What is your weekly goal set at? If it's at 2 lbs/week, try 1 lb/week.

1. I eat based on MFP's recommendation, which is 1770 calories a day plus exercise calories. My weekly goal is to lose .5 lb/week.

2. Don't remember my setup. I think it's 35/30/35. I'm not hitting that in protein, but am working on it.

3. I have about 15 lbs left to lose. That's why my goal is only .5 lb/week.

4. I workout 4-6 days a week for 30 minutes a session. On the weekend's, at least one day is playing sports for a couple of hours. My workouts alternate between cardio and strength training.

5. 5'8", currently 170 lbs.
  • jamaicaqueen24
    jamaicaqueen24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
    I followed 1200 calorie a day and exercise 3-4 wk and didn't lose anything besides inches. Please keep me posted if anyone comes up with a better plan.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    WOW! You have a lot of sodium in your diet, girlfriend! I also eat a lot more over all food than you do & I only weigh about 128ish. (go look at my diary) I suggest making home cooked meals instead of something you nuke…, & drink more water. Good luck...
  • thecodester19
    Options
    I try for around 3000 calories a day, but I am very active. I do yoga for an hour in the morning, powerlifting in evening and an easy bike ride last. I have still lost around 20 lbs with the caloric intake. I am 5'11 and 188 lbs as of today. 1200 calories seems uber low. I always prescribe to keeping my metabolism going with 4-5 meals of good food a day. Most of my calories come from peanut butter, cheese, fruits. I am more concerned with protein and calcium intake than carbs and fat so I do not really know those precentages. I do try for 200 grams of protein a day. Hope that helps.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't eat your 'exercise calories'

Move a little more tomorrow than you do in an average day.

Where are your calories coming from? A person consuming 1200 calories in cupcakes vs. the person consuming 1200 calories from salads will obviously lose faster.
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options

As someone said, you may need to eat back your exercise calories. What is your weekly goal set at? If it's at 2 lbs/week, try 1 lb/week.

1. I eat based on MFP's recommendation, which is 1770 calories a day plus exercise calories. My weekly goal is to lose .5 lb/week.

2. Don't remember my setup. I think it's 35/30/35. I'm not hitting that in protein, but am working on it.

3. I have about 15 lbs left to lose. That's why my goal is only .5 lb/week.

4. I workout 4-6 days a week for 30 minutes a session. On the weekend's, at least one day is playing sports for a couple of hours. My workouts alternate between cardio and strength training.

5. 5'8", currently 170 lbs.

Thank You. Great advice!
  • VaBeachNurse
    Options
    Ok, so here is the deal. I talked to one of the Dr's that I work with today, he is also a fitness guy/marathon coach. He has put me on 1600-1900 calories a day which as many of you said should get the ball rolling again.

I am also planning on more drinking more water. Hopefully I will be able to drink less soda too. I still have several Dr Pepper's each day and although it's a HUGE improvement over the 3 - 4 liters that I have drank for several years, I know that I should be drinking less of it.

I am going to try to make healthier choices when it comes to the foods that I do eat (which may take a few days, because I need to wait until I get paid to go grocery shopping).

As far as working out goes, honestly, I don't feel like i'm getting enough exercise, but I'm always so darn tired. I guess so since I normally net less than 1200 calories everyday. I am really going to give it my all and exercise more.

Thank you for everyones advice. Wish me luck and please keep encouraging me. I' going to need it! I should have know better than to limit my calories to 1200 at my weight. Duh, I am a nurse!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I follow what MFP tells me (1310) plus I always eat my exercise calories, so usually end up eating anywhere from 1600-2000.

I don't really follow a percentage, but I do try to make my meals at least half whole grains, because that's what my body likes. So my carbs are probably out of this world.

I'm in a healthy weight range, but am trying to lose a few more "vanity pounds", about 8 more. I've lost about 72 pounds so far.

I have mine set at "sedentary" because I have a desk job. But I do workout almost every day, and always eat those calories!

5'6'', 148.6
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    1. MFP has me set at 1200 so that is my minimum and I also eat all my exercise calories back.

2. I don't follow my percentage. I know it's way off. I eat too many carbs.

3. I need to lose 5 lbs to be back at a healthy weight, but I want to lose atleast 10-15.

4. Stinky desk job so it's set to "sedentary." I try to exercise atleast 5 days a week. Honestly, it doesn't always happen

5. 5'2" and as of Friday I was 141.5 lbs
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    1. How many calories do you allow yourself each day? 1400-1600. Sometimes I eat more, depends on activity.

2. What percentage of Carbs/Protein/Fat is in your plan? 20/30/50

3. How much weight do you need to lose? 10 pounds give or take

4. What is your activity level? Moderately active - 6 workouts / week

5. How tall are you, how much do you weigh? (if you want to tell) 5'0", 131
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    1. Each day I eat 1490 calories, plus I eat back my exercise calories

2. I don't know, it's still on the manual MFP setting

3. I want to lose about 60 lbs

4. I exercise every day at the gym, usually for 30-60 minutes and burning 300-400 calories

5. I am 5'11 currently weigh 217