pre/post workout meal/snack

Options
i am getting into a twice a week workout with a personal trainer. she has told me to follow the workout with protein, but i am unclear as to the best choice of a snack/meal before the workout. I feel bad asking her too many questions, even though she is more than happy to help me. what are everyone elses choices/opinions?

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Protein and complex carb before working out.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a mini clif bar before a workout, the 100 calorie ones. I usually plan my workouts before a meal so after I have lunch or dinner. Just my two cents :)
  • anelizs
    anelizs Posts: 1
    Options
    Proteins are good for muscle gain after weight train at the gym. However, be careful with the amound of calories in the shake or the protein bar.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Try not to ingest too much protein. If you want to really recover, look for something with carbs in it. Talk to your trainer. If they're ISSA Trained or ACE Trained then they should have no problem recommending exactly what you need and pointing you in the right direction. That's what they're paid for!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    oats/whey/natural pb :smile:
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do after a workout is Whey protein... Whey protein is a fast dissolving protein. It immediately goes to work rebuilding your muscles right after a work out. If you need to eat food... then you want some complex carbs along with protein, the carbs help bring the protein into the muscle. So maybe some peanute butter on whole wheat bread, or some tunafish on whole wheat bread, with a glass of water, or a glass of milk....
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    oh yeah.. try eaeting a bananna and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich an hour and a half before with a glass of water...