Good sources of protein for vegetarians?

I've been a vegetarian for 4.5 years, and I've usually been pretty good at getting all my vitamins. When my doctor has done my blood tests, he's told me he wouldn't have been able to tell based on what levels are usually quite low.
Since I've been using this site, however, and been counting calories and restricting my diet, I've been having a hard time meeting my protein goal.
You guys have any suggestions high in protein (that preferably don't take up a lot of calories) I can be sure to add to my grocery list?

Replies

• dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    My favorites...

Greek yogurt, eggs, nuts, nut butters, edamame, tofu, beans, chick peas, soy milk.
  • definitely edamame. I was a vegetarian for a long time and was allergic to peanut butter. this is what I ate for protein instead.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Greek yogurt!!! or a protein powder
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    nuts, beans, quinoa.
    Not necessarily low in calories, but so good for you nutritionally that it's worth it to eat them all.
  • AnaisInard
    AnaisInard Posts: 23 Member
    Lentils, cheese and oats.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Avocados, Asparagus, Edamames, Tofu, Brocolli, yogurt, cheese. Good luck!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Hemp or whey powder
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Hemp or whey powder
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    flax seed...and soy milk
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    definitely edamame. I was a vegetarian for a long time and was allergic to peanut butter. this is what I ate for protein instead.

Much agreed. .. Quinoa is good to eat as well. . . it carries all the essential aminos. . .
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Are you vegan, or just vegetarian?
    If you're not vegan, I'd say eat some egg whites.
    Super low-cal and awesome protein source.
    And they're good for breakfast, lunch, or snacks!
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Oh, I've had edamame before! Boiled with sea salt on it, it was yummy! I'll have to take a look!
    I've heard about quinoa before, too. I'll have to look into that as well.
    I'm vegetarian. :) I still eat eggs, dairy and fish. I don't like eating eggs or fish more than a couple times a week each, though, so I need other good sources of protein.
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    try PB2 if you're peanut butter luver. good protein and only 45 cals per serving. It also comes in a chocolate PB flavor that is nothing short of divine...
  • coralcrepe
    coralcrepe Posts: 10
    tofu, beans, soy, and nuts :)
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Hmm, I'll have to look for PB2. I've been using Kraft Light peanut butter.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Many good suggestions here. I would look specifically for Siggi's Icelandic skyr yogurt. I've found it in the local health food store as well as a couple of the big chains (I know Giant / Super G carries it). It's this extremely thick non-fat yogurt with a ridiculous 14 grams of protein per cup. It makes me feel VERY full for just a 100-calorie cup of yogurt. Also, the fruits are real, the milk is rBST-free, and it's sweetened with agave.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Beans, nuts, yogurt, quinoa, broccoli, oatmeal, brown rice :)
  • amandakay88
    amandakay88 Posts: 3 Member
    This is perfect! I've been having the same issue!! Not enough protein! I love greek yogurt though!