• uhoh_billy
    uhoh_billy Posts: 94
    Options
    your and you're mistakes make me wish evil things upon kittens

Hahaha same! Those poor kittens!
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know I am horrible at grammar and spelling, but some mistakes I see people making should have been at least learned in the 3rd grade. My favorite one is when people say wait instead of weight.... and yes I am not joking I have seen it in some posts.
    Cracks me up.
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    People like you make me growl and smile at the same time. I married an ex-editor. He frequently corrects my random ghetto jargon for which I am eternally grateful. You know the old saying: You can take the girl out of the ghetto, but you can not take the ghetto out of the girl.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is a chance to plug one of my favorite websites: www.regrettheerror.com. (I have no connection to it; it's just a hoot.) It's a compilation of corrections run by various media. Some of the corrections involve content, but the best ones are the goofy typos. You would be amazed at what autocorrect can do to an Arabic name. And the winner so far this year. In a blog about about public health, a common-place reference to "black men who have sex with men" turned into "...who have sex with me." The most-tweeted correction in recent memory.

Keep those red pencils waving.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    your and you're mistakes make me wish evil things upon kittens

hehehehehehehehehe!!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ha I thought it was an Americanism as with your C25K programme etcetera!
    This thread is my favorite so far, but this post is the best within it! I hope that poor spelling doesn't create Americanisms!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    How about, "We weigh in to find out our weight." Weigh and weight are two very different words. Dang it.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Yep, former editor here, too! wavehi.gif

And isn't it amazing how those things just light in up neon when we see them?? And as PP have said, sometimes smartphones aren't so smart with their autocorrect.

Anyone a regular visitor to www.damnyouautocorrect.com ? rotfl.gif
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Who's got a good sense of whose scents are on those cents? geek.gif
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    so funny that this is a spelling complaint (which I agree, I see a lot but people also just type quickly/carelessly).

when I saw the title, I thought it was going to be a cleverly-titled discussion on focusing more on our clothes becoming loose than the actual weight we hope to lose, i.e., inches more important than pounds. but spelling is important, too!
  • Brandirina
    Brandirina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep, former editor here, too! wavehi.gif

And isn't it amazing how those things just light in up neon when we see them?? And as PP have said, sometimes smartphones aren't so smart with their autocorrect.

Anyone a regular visitor to www.damnyouautocorrect.com ? rotfl.gif

Oh, yeah, a great site. Or cite. Or sight....:wink:
  • shellgoff
    shellgoff Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Love this post!!!!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking one for the team. I've wanted to post that same thing soooo many times... drives me freaking nuts... just didnt want to come off as a jerk... my self filter isnt as good as it should be and sometimes I'll just spout off.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bless you. Huge pet peeve. I see the word "lose" misspelled daily now, not just on MFP, but in numerous other places. I too have wanted to post that so many times, and you've performed that task beautifully.

I'm at the point where if I see it misspelled in a header of a forum thread, I can't even click on the thread to read it. Sorry, but that's what a pet peeve does to you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge grammar nazi. I'm proud of it. It's my job. They pay me to catch these mistakes in our publications at work.

all caps is another peeve...I cannot stand when people post in all caps!
  • rborgner
    rborgner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    while we're on the topic...it kills me (and my wife) when we hear college graduates say either supposingly or (even better!) supposubly instead of supposedly. Yeow!!

Then there's my cigar buddy, who is Norm Crosby reincarnated. I have to translate for him when he speaks in a group...LOL!

Cheers!
  • depurs20
    depurs20 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you for this post!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!